Kumi Masunaga is a professional percussionist, hand-drum tutor, and founding director and leading facilitator of Drum Jam (www.drum-jam.com). As a native of Japan, Kumi has been leading drum circles in Hong Kong and Asia for over fifteen years delivering a wealth of experience and boundless enthusiasm to each programme. Kumi also performs as a solo artist, as a music director, and works in several performing troupes.
Kumi’s achievements include:
• Remo-endorsed drum circle facilitator since 2001.
• Two community drum circles in Hong Kong continue every month since 2001.
• RTHK documentary “Arts on the Street” about Kumi’s travels in Africa which received a Silver Award at the Chicago International Film Festival in 2003.
• HealthRhythms™ trained facilitator
• Facilitated Remo drum circles at “Music China”, Asia’s largest annual music convention in Shanghai in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2015.
• Yamaha drum train-the-trainer facilitator in Japan for over 100 enthusiasts in 2008
• 800 people corporate team building in Malaysia in 2010
• Tribal drum and dance performance with interactive percussion at Jane Goodall’s Roots and Shoots charity fundraiser in 2010.
• Post tsunami “Drum About” community uplifting Japan tour in 2011
• TEDx Youth HK presentation in 2011
• English School Foundation (ESF) train-the-teacher programme in 2011
• Tin Shui Wai community empowerment drum programme in 2011
• Opening performance at Asia Society’s opening ceremony in 2012
• Drum performance and 500 people interactive percussion at HK City Hall in 2013
• Annual event “Drum For Peace” with YMCA HK since 2013.
• TEDx HKU presentation in 2014.
• 1,500 people corporate team building in 2015.
“Masunaga is the living embodiment of infectious enthusiasm.” – South China Morning Post
“I have attended and even organized numerous teambuilding workshops before and this is surely one of the best and happiest programmes ever!” – Ash Wong, Manulife
“Kumi is a great representation of someone taking the facilitated drum circle concept into a county and culture and with patience and perseverance created a recreational drumming movement and drumming community.” – Arthur Hull
“Kumi is a shining example of the work of the drum in the world” – Christine Stevens