Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 1 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:40 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So my classic rock band was asked to learn a polka for an upcoming gig. This band hasn't done one before. I want to perform it traditionally. The guitar player, who is a rocker, wants me to incorporate double bass in the solo section. I didn't agree because I think it would be tasteless and an abomination of the genre and not a musical fusion of styles.

When playing different genres, I try to strive to sound authentic - - not a rock guy cramming in rock licks into a different style. However,that being said, I suppose if everyone took the traditional approach, fusion music would never have evolved

So my question is, would you agree to the double bass beat in the instrumental section(assuming you have double pedals/bass drums and the ability to play it)or would you not and why?

brad_leishman edited on Dec 8, 2012 8:43 AM

Zenquest

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1508 mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination brad_leishman 802 Dec 8, 2012 8:40 AM
1283 Re:mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination OldFart 1820 Dec 8, 2012 10:05 AM
1214 Re:mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination pwc 101 Dec 8, 2012 7:52 PM
1602 Re:mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination StillKicken 903 Dec 8, 2012 9:34 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 11 milliseconds