Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

DIY thunder drum information
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster DIY thunder drum information
Josephine

No. 1 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have a small club and we desire to build some thunder drums. Although we have bought some small ones in the past, we are looking to construct ones of 8" diameter or more. While there are plenty of places to purchase such drums on the web, there seems to be very little information on accurate do-it-yourself techniques. For practice, I have tried making the smaller 3" drums using a Pringles can with various membranes and springs, but I cannot obtain the resonance of the commercial units. From my experiments, I think the key may lie in the spring resonance. The limited information I've come across suggests springs have to be stretched a certain amount and also need to be a certain size. I can always calculate spring resonance, but I need to know what frequency and also whether such resonance is before or after stretching.

Any help would be appreciated. I've come across several web sources on construction, but I have found that none of these produce a good working unit.

Thank you,
Josephine

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
2225 DIY thunder drum information Josephine 1021 Nov 15, 2012 8:15 AM
1756 Re:DIY thunder drum information Josephine 1412 Nov 17, 2012 6:51 AM
2236 Re:DIY thunder drum information Singlestroker 184 Nov 18, 2012 7:25 AM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 10 milliseconds