Remo
DrumTalk » Marching

The rain messed up my drumhead?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster The rain messed up my drumhead?
DiruIkasu

No. 1 Posted on Nov 4, 2010 5:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So, last week at my high school, it was raining during one of our football games. We tried to protect the drums as much as we could by covering them up when we weren't playing them, and making sure they were bone dry when we stored them after the game.

I noticed about a couple of days later, one one small side of the head (It's a 14" clear pinstripe on my set of quads), it seems like the two ply's are starting to separate giving me a muffled tone. I know this must has something to do with the rain. How did this happen? What can I do prevent this in the future?

"He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad”
MyronSmith

No. 2 Posted on Nov 28, 2010 12:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What happened was the water caused the top ply to wort so It became disconnected with the bottom ply. The best way prevent this happening again is to cover your heads while it rains or replace your heads after.

cman135

No. 3 Posted on Dec 10, 2010 4:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
you can salvage the drumhead for a while when this happens by poking a small hole through the head away from the playing area and messaging all the air out from between the heads. this will get rid of the muffled sound. thats what my teacher does.

Boojum

that

No. 4 Posted on Mar 17, 2011 12:46 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Rain alone won't mess up the heads. They're plastic, and therefore not affected by moisture. (The shells do get messed up in the rain, though, so always be careful of that)

What side of the head looks like it's separating? Do you play in the proper playing zones? Are your mallets torn up from hitting too many rims?

These questions are all important for this reason: If you're playing in the correct part of the head, and that's not the part of the head that's separating, and your mallets are perfect because you never hit rims, then you have a head that's defective.

If, however, your mallets are torn up and you're not playing in the correct zones, and the part of the head that's getting torn up is a place where a lot of wild strokes are landing, then you've probably put a small puncture in your head and there's air getting in there.

How old is the head?

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 16 milliseconds