Remo
DrumTalk » Marching

Carpal Tunnel Prevention??
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Carpal Tunnel Prevention??
TenorQueen

No. 1 Posted on Jun 1, 2010 9:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So you all know as well as I do that Carpal Tunnel Sydrome is, unfortunately, pretty common amongst us in the drumming world. My wrists have been giving me a little trouble lately, and it's got me worried about bigger problems in the future...but we all know that cutting down playing time is really not an option...so, that said, have any of ya'll got any ideas on how to prevent carpal tunnel?

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 2 Posted on Jun 1, 2010 11:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Always stretch well and get loose before you play. I've also heard that cutting back on caffeine can help too but I'm not sure about that. If you do get carpal tunnel, get a night splint for your wrist. My mom had it and she used a splint and said it helped a lot.

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors 08-09 USSBA South States Percussion Champ
Tenors 09-10 USSBA Natl Champ Percussion, 2nd Overall
Tenors 10-11 USSBA TN State Champ
US Army All-American Band
Tenors '11

delmar

FEMUR

No. 3 Posted on Jun 4, 2010 4:05 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been playing for 18 years now. And to be very honest with you, there isn't really anything you can down. Everyone will develop some form of C-T. I find relief by stretching and getting a really good warm up. And even then some times I need a good dose of anti-inflammatory to make it ease long enough for a show.

CorpsVets Drum & Bugle Corps. - Staff
Alliance Drum & Bugle Corps - Staff
Atlanta CV INDOOR - Staff
Frequency INC. - Staff
Shorter Percussion - Staff

bella1988

No. 4 Posted on Nov 17, 2010 12:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
and security boardings aboard replica swiss watch aboard all sorts of vessels," Petty 財布シャネル Petty Officer Pamela Manns, a Coast Guard replicas tag heuer Guard spokeswoman, told
ABC News Tuesday. "It's balenciaga replica handbags "It's part of how we do business."In corum replica watches business."In a Facebook posting Sunday evening, Carnival's bvlgari pendants Carnival's senior cruise
director, John Heald, complained gucci cross necklace complained that the Coast Guard was conducting replica longines conducting tests of the ship's generators, and replica louis vuitton purse and had shut

pataflafla

No. 5 Posted on Nov 17, 2010 12:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
TenorQueen wrote:
have any of ya'll got any ideas on how to prevent carpal tunnel?

See your regular doctor or a sports medicine doctor. You should reasonably assume that he/she has no familiarity with precision marching drumming: playing quads is very different in the demands it places on your bones & muscles than, by comparison, drum set playing... which may be all he/she is familiar with. So *BE SURE* to take your mallets & a practice pad, or even your carrier & drums, with you so that you can demonstrate exactly what you think's causing the problem.

Too, be ready to demonstrate your regular warm-ups --including stretching exercises [if any]-- as well as some of what you normally play, including the most physically rigorous passages. Be prepared to demonstrate all this outside the clinic if necessary. Other patients in the waiting room might not get-off on hearing your barely muffled drum sounds suddenly assaulting them from a nearby exam room! Big Smile

General percussion since 1957.
D&B corps since 1965.
Drum set (correctly!) since 1970.

http://jimnevermannart.carbonmade.com

...and that is *not* 2nd Wind's uniform I'm wearing!
Boojum

that

No. 6 Posted on Mar 17, 2011 12:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Get a wrist brace. Something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Fitted-Wrist-Brace-Medium/dp/B0027VGB4Y/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Wear it when you're not drumming.

Why: it will allow the muscles in your wrist to relax while holding your hand and wrist in an ergonomically appropriate resting position.

Also: Follow all of the steps that you've heard above. If the problem persists, bring your quads to the doctor's office. (I've always wanted to do something like that... lol)

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds