Remo
DrumTalk » Marching

your ugly faces not mine( it's pretty)
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re:your ugly faces not mine( it's pretty) [Re:layindown]
Crusher

No. 351 Posted on Jan 23, 2007 2:40 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
layindown wrote:
"So what is so funny?" I really won't reply to that since I don't want to say something I will regret later.

On the subject of funny, however, I find it funny that I don't feel as welcome here in the marching section just as much as some of the marchers would not feel welcome elsewhere. That is a shame, Crusher. I just thought the picture thread post was a cool idea and thought it would be nice to invite ALL remo forum users to have access to it. Since there is obvious discrimination here on the boards (and THAT is funny), I though maybe it would be better suited in the "General" section. Looks like ED Rock though the same - but, hey - they voted.

If people can't even get along on an online forum, it's no surprise the world is in the state it is in. What a shame, what a shame.

Well Looks like you said it with the Obvious discrimination remark and since you don't know the history I will tell it to you. Back before I was moderator there was no marching section. However when ever the early Marchers started to post something such as Drumlinechick wanting to know how to prepare for bandcamp (real thread) the SET people would jump all over them calling their craft a sport not unlike cheerleading. They would get told by people who are still here to put on their silly little costumes and get in line. They would get replies about how drumline was not real drumming and how they really couldn't play. Many of those people are still here who made the Marcher quit and feel like crap. So I went to ed and asked for a separate area so the Marchers could feel at ease talking about their art form. So this whole section is my idea and my baby because of what the set drummers did. That my friend is the fact!! It was the set drummers who fired the first shots and it was them that kept it going. Heck it happened a few weeks ago.

To me if you drum you you drum. You are welcomed into the fraternity of drummers BUT others do not see it that way. To them you are not a drummer until you play a kit. I played both so I imagine I am a real drummer according to some standards. But before you call discrimination which to me is a fight word get the facts right. Don't believe me that this happened ask Moderndrummer and he will tell you. So until Marchers are accepted as real drummers on THIS forum this discrimination as you put it will exist. I noticed PWC didn't start trouble and he posts here without any backlash.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
layindown

No. 352 Posted on Jan 23, 2007 7:23 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher, I didn't want to start any trouble. I asked a question that some of the marching drummers took an obvious offense to. Now I understand why. Also - yes, it is discrimination. If a marching drummer goes into another section and they get ridiculed to the point where they leave, that's discrimination to me.

Honestly, I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers. It was certainly not my intention. You seem like a good guy, Crusher, so I'm sorry for being a jerk to you.

That really does suck they certain people have to stick to where they are "accepted" here, but I suppose it really does represent the rest of the world.

Again, sorry for anything. Just thought the picture thing was a cool idea...

"A truly wise man knows he has much to learn..."

Crusher

No. 353 Posted on Jan 23, 2007 2:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thing is this. There is I think 3 threads dedicated to pictures in General talk but after a while no interest came about so they just faded off. One was about Family pictures and another for sure was like this one. Here is an idea: Why don't you start one there and we could sticky it for a while if interest is shown.All is good.

Musicians Wisdom

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 354 Posted on Jan 23, 2007 4:15 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
good idea crush, o yeah. sorry if i was alittle snippy to you layindown.

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors 08-09 USSBA South States Percussion Champ
Tenors 09-10 USSBA Natl Champ Percussion, 2nd Overall
Tenors 10-11 USSBA TN State Champ
US Army All-American Band
Tenors '11

layindown

No. 355 Posted on Jan 23, 2007 5:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Crusher

DrumBum - no problem - I was being a wisearse myself. I can't believe people on here would be ignorant or down right rude to you guys just because you don't play behind a set! I know I won't be one of them. I welcome good conversation no matter what you do or don't play. Smile

"A truly wise man knows he has much to learn..."

delmar

FEMUR

No. 356 Posted on Jan 24, 2007 11:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
yeah i remember those days. long time ago. but yeah i wonder what shes doing now?

CorpsVets Drum & Bugle Corps. - Staff
Alliance Drum & Bugle Corps - Staff
Atlanta CV INDOOR - Staff
Frequency INC. - Staff
Shorter Percussion - Staff

Crusher

No. 357 Posted on Jan 24, 2007 5:36 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
delmar wrote:
yeah i remember those days. long time ago. but yeah i wonder what shes doing now?

Well after the accident she took some time off from school but I heard throught the grap Vine that she is returning to school and a "normal" life.

Musicians Wisdom

delmar

FEMUR

No. 358 Posted on Jan 25, 2007 1:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
good

Frequency INC. - Staff

SPuDS

manbearpig

No. 359 Posted on Jan 26, 2007 7:34 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
Well after the accident she took some time off from school but I heard throught the grap Vine that she is returning to school and a "normal" life.

that's good to hear.

My name is Lucas.

delmar

FEMUR

No. 360 Posted on Feb 7, 2007 4:48 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
the 2007 bass line for corpvets

Frequency INC. - Staff

taye

No. 361 Posted on Feb 7, 2007 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Why the pink fuzzies?

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
-- Henry David Thoreau
delmar

FEMUR

No. 362 Posted on Feb 8, 2007 2:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
dude i don't know and we all hate hate them but our bass tech is a chick and really good i might add and she wans them and we tke them off and she goes nuts not only that they are light and wietgh nothing at all un like most drum covers

delmar edited on Feb 8, 2007 2:28 PM

Frequency INC. - Staff

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 363 Posted on Feb 9, 2007 6:19 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lol, i would think they might distract the peopl while playing. because they're so bright. idk, other than that, they're kinda cool.

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors '11

delmar

FEMUR

No. 364 Posted on Feb 12, 2007 1:46 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
we get blinded when we go out doors and the sun hits them

Frequency INC. - Staff

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 365 Posted on Feb 13, 2007 4:56 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lol, i can imagine

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors '11

Texray1

No. 366 Posted on Feb 14, 2007 9:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just caught up with this thread and I was giving some thought to the "set vs. marching" difficulty idea.

I was away from drumming for 26 years. I've been playing again for about a year now and I have made great (relatively) strides in my set playing. My marching chops are still lagging badly. You can be a good set player without having killer chops because there are other things involved, probably most important, having a feel for the music.

But if you want to be a good snare or tenor player in a drumline, you better have some really nice chops or you are not going to go far. Unless you are in a crappy line.

Plus when you are in a line, execution and robot-like precision is so important when you are trying to match notes with other members of the line. Stick height, arm angles, all sorts of visual things are critical in a line but no so much on a set.

I watch Buddy Rich and I about pass out. I watch some of the Blue Devils or Cavies or Cadets lines over the years and I about pass out. Totally different types of drumming but both overly impressive.

I'm one of the few here that posts in both groups but it never occurs to me that one group is superior to the other. Just different and the same. We're all drummers.

pwc

No. 367 Posted on Feb 14, 2007 9:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I couldn't agree more. I sometimes post in this section but do not have anything serious to add. I have always been in awe of marching drummers and the skills and dedication they need. Many things can be faked or played with minimal practice on a drum set, but not so in marching.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
drumbum593

The Bum

No. 368 Posted on Feb 14, 2007 4:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i agree, i don't think of either one as superior. i'm a set drummer too, i just don't feel at home in the drumtalk section. i'm more of a marching guy, and i spend some time in the general discussion.

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors '11

delmar

FEMUR

No. 369 Posted on Feb 15, 2007 1:36 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah people have atrted this argument befor eand afew good marchers left the forum so yeah lets not go there.

Frequency INC. - Staff

The_Cavalier

No. 370 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 12:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
here is me, I am having SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun

(Click the picture to view the original one)

The_Cavalier

No. 370 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 12:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
here is me, I am having SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun

delmar

FEMUR

No. 372 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 1:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
dude double post, but yeah heres a pick of my car wreck

Frequency INC. - Staff

LinchDrumPin

PrRckFry

No. 373 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 1:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
delmar wrote:
dude i don't know and we all hate hate them but our bass tech is a chick and really good i might add and she wans them and we tke them off and she goes nuts not only that they are light and wietgh nothing at all un like most drum covers

I met your bass tech in 2005 when she marched in the bass line. I think she was 3rd bass if I remember correctly. You're right she is good and not bad lookin' either! Wink

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 374 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 7:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
ouch, delmar. looks like you were a lucky guy. here's a picture of me playing darts.

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors '11

delmar

FEMUR

No. 375 Posted on Mar 7, 2007 7:47 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
yeah nowshes our tech.

Frequency INC. - Staff

Go to page Previous 123 ... 14151617 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 83 milliseconds