Remo
DrumTalk » Education

Younger students by the truckload!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Younger students by the truckload!
Daddyo

No. 1 Posted on Mar 12, 2010 11:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have been teaching for roughly 20 years now, and most of the students that come to me are 9-14, with the occasional 20 year old or 51 year old who wants to learn to play the drums before he dies. With that being said I have seen a huge trend difference in the last year and a half. Younger and younger and younger.

Most music stores in my area will only take students from 12 years and up. I think that is due to several reasons. (1) They don't have a teaching carriculum for the younger years. (2) They don't know how to teach the young kids because of their attention span, reading ability, etc.

In the last year, I have seen a multitude of 5-7 year olds. Their parents explain that they just wanted to give them an early chance to see what music and the instruments were all about.

My other thought comes as a dissappointment. Music programs are getting cut back or eliminated, which leaves the option of music instruction to the parents to decide. This clearly (at least in my area) shows that there is an interest in these music programs, and that it is not necessarily the first program that should be cut.

Junior drum sets are selling at a phenominal rate. Not just at Christmas (which is the majority), but all year long. This is the next generation of musician!

Those of you here that are teachers, are you seeing the same trend? If you are, but don't have the resources to teach that age...step up! This is your chance to teach a new generation. These kids are flocking in and need instruction. At least take a look at how you can gear up for this change in this interesting economy.

Daddyo

www.TheDrummersLounge.com
Rhythm...Without Boundaries.

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
5815 Younger students by the truckload! Daddyo 1610 Mar 12, 2010 11:38 AM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 11 milliseconds