Remo
DrumTalk » Education

STICK CONTROL
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster STICK CONTROL
billybadass

No. 1 Posted on Sep 30, 2008 3:04 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Over the years i had many times a way from the kit. I am the point where i hit a brick wall in my playing. I practice finger exercises but i think i need to go back through the stick control stuff. i am constantly trying to concentrate on the left hand lead thing which to my understanding for right handed drummers this can be a magor obstacle.

i remember studying out of a book back in the day, can't remeber the name but i think it was something like podrenski or prodranski or something like that. i can't find it on line, not sure if i am spelling it right. if anyone knows the book i am talking about the info would be helpful.

also i used to study out of the ted reed book, i think it was called syncopation.. anyways i was always told that it was beter to use that book by superimposing things over the patterns written, such as hihat on the foot, ride stuff etc. anyone familiar with that.

also would appreciate any info that i should be looking at to get my left hand together again. i heard doing stuff with your left hand works like turning door nobs etc. or playing with weights on the left wrist. though i am not sure how that woukld help with fingering under the stick.

oh i can also use some info on typing for dummies. got the one finger method down but i am ready to go to the next level.

billybadass edited on Sep 30, 2008 3:06 PM

Pay me to move my gear, I play for free..
As far as my day job, I don't work so I can play, I play so I can work.

http://www.myspace.com/dvsrockssa

Crusher

No. 2 Posted on Oct 5, 2008 2:15 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Have you tried Stick Control?

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
tomcat

manic

No. 3 Posted on Oct 8, 2008 10:08 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
try the dvd that jojo mayer put out
its called "secret weapons for the modern drummer"
its got more practical and useful things in it than most instructional dvds.
well worth what ever you have to pay for it.
did some shopping on ebay and snagged it for $24ish

Better Living Through Paiste

DrJosiah

No. 4 Posted on Dec 29, 2009 11:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
billybadass wrote:

also would appreciate any info that i should be looking at to get my left hand together again. i heard doing stuff with your left hand works like turning door nobs etc. or playing with weights on the left wrist. though i am not sure how that woukld help with fingering under the stick.

Work through the book Stick Control with a metronome, slow and sure. You want Quality over Quantity.

Using your left hand for daily activities might slightly increase your control, but not enough to make it worth the while.

Practice what you can't play, until you can, at ultra slow tempos to the click.

Also I'd suggest a book like New Breed and for specifically left hand control, a book like Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer.

Additional, though more advanced texts that will drastically improve your playing are:

The Gary Chaffee 'Pattern Series' - start with the 'Stickings' book perhaps.
Any good rudimental text, such as Rudimental Logic.
Any good progressive snare drum text, such as The Rudimental Cookbook
DrumSet WarmUps by Rod Morgenstien (spell?)

Equally though you should have the 40 beyond memorized, and surgically clean.
The 40 are the basic rudiments, there are perhaps 1,000's in addition to them.

2cymbals1cup

Swing em.

No. 5 Posted on Oct 24, 2010 6:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Rub your stick in oil. It gives it a smoother feeling when you play with it.

DrumsUp

No. 6 Posted on Jan 8, 2011 9:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
billybadass wrote:

i remember studying out of a book back in the day, can't remeber the name but i think it was something like podrenski or prodranski or something like that.

PODEMSKI! I don't have a copy now but used to. Try George Lawrence Stone's "Stick Control" and "Accents and Rebounds" books. They're pretty much the "Bible" of hand coordination.

Boojum

that

No. 7 Posted on Mar 18, 2011 7:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah, Podemski's great. That's really more for a basic, concert style approach to drumming, specifically snare drumming. In terms of stick control, playing through George Lawrence Stone's book is fantastic. The Ted Reed book is great. Johnny Lee Lane has some steps to help you through that one:

1: RH Swing Pattern/Ride cymbal
LF 2 & 4 on HH
RF 1 2 3 4 on BD
LH Written rhythm on snare drum

2. RH Swing/RC
2 & 4 on HH
Written rhythm on BD
2 & 4 click on snare (cross shots)

3. Swing on RC
2 & 4 on HH
Long notes of written rhythm on BD
Short Notes of written rhythm on Snare

4. Swing on RC
2&4 on the high hat
Written rhythm on BD
1st and 3rd partials of all triplets on the snare drum.

Those are the first 4, there are 25 more. Great stuff. Also, check out the rudimental ritual by Alan Dawson.

The biggest thing when it comes to getting chops back is really to work for control. With the control and the muscle memory developed, you'll have a better scaffolding for playing fast.

(But I'm sure you knew that already)

Also, stay away from weights. The way to build speed is not by using heavier sticks - that just builds muscle strength. For speed, get the lightest pair of sticks you can find and a pillow.

And when people recommend doing things with your left hand, they don't just mean doorknobs. Try brushing your teeth, eating, or any of the other thousand daily activities we do with our right hands with your left. It'll build coordination. Woot.

Hope that helps.

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj
kennersk

No. 8 Posted on Nov 10, 2011 11:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Try:

Podemski's Standard Snare Drum Method: Including Double Drums and Introduction to Timpani [Paperback]

Stick Control: For the Snare Drummer [Paperback]
George Lawrence Stone (Composer)

Accents and Rebounds: For the Snare Drummer [Paperback]
George Lawrence Stone (Composer)

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds