Remo
DrumTalk » Education

Rudiments help...
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Rudiments help...
drummer182

No. 1 Posted on Mar 10, 2005 1:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been playing drums for about a year i think, im fine at sight reading and learning song by ear, thats no problem, It's the rudiment side of things that bugs me. I can do most of the rudiments, just not very fast, the only thing im good at is paradiddles, when it comes to double,triple or anything higher i cant seem to go very fast. It's really killin' me!!! Will i ever get fast at them? Anyone got any tips?

wiseguy

No. 2 Posted on Mar 13, 2005 5:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lol, i think you already know the answer, lolBig Smile

KEEP PRACTISING!

there is no easy way out, you have to uderstand that, and once you have you will enjoy it.

here is a tip:

if you are working out of a book, don't stick to the drums it says. try different drums and cmybals and you will enjoy it.
good luck,Big Smile

Boojum

that

No. 3 Posted on Mar 13, 2005 12:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I disagree slightly. Practice, yes, but as far as not sticking to the book, well... I dunno.

Make sure you have the patterns down pat before moving them around onto multiple drums and cymbals.

but yes. Practice practice practice.

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj
delmar

FEMUR

No. 4 Posted on Mar 18, 2005 12:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
slow every thing down and play it till your arms are burning! every time you do it your mucsels put it into memory! and it should take longer and longer every time too get your arms too burn! and then speed it up!

CorpsVets Drum & Bugle Corps.
Alliance Drum & Bugle Corps
2008 i&E champion
Frequency INC. - Staff
Shorter Percussion - Staff
Platinum Drum & Bugle Corps

PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 5 Posted on Mar 20, 2005 1:27 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Whatever they are, play them on a pillow.
Go to the VicFirth.com website and then education, then snare, and then click on the one with rudiments. It has different speeds and everything you need to practice and practice well.

Drumming is NOT a sport; it's an art form.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html
harlock13

No. 6 Posted on Mar 23, 2005 7:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The advice listed above are very good suggestions and i'd like to add that your technique could be holding you back.Obviously I don't know how good yours is, but to get really fast and have controll and endurance it's best to use the thumb and first finger as a pivot or hinge for the stick and manipulate the stick with the other fingers. Also each stick has it's natural center of gravity, you may need to hold the stick further back or further up. If you're all wrist or you hold the stick knurled under your pinky and ring fingers while letting it flop about between your thumb and first finger, it will be very difficult to gain speed and control. As a teacher I've seen lots of this.

harlock13 edited on Mar 23, 2005 7:08 PM

Rudimental Ostinato's book
delmar

FEMUR

No. 7 Posted on Mar 26, 2005 7:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
very true!

CorpsVets Drum & Bugle Corps.
Alliance Drum & Bugle Corps
2008 i&E champion
Frequency INC. - Staff
Shorter Percussion - Staff
Platinum Drum & Bugle Corps

wilddrummerman

No. 8 Posted on May 25, 2005 5:31 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Steve Smith says it best " slow everything down and play quitely, it'll give u a better understanding" ( works like a charm!)

ChrisTingley

No. 9 Posted on Jun 4, 2005 9:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It was Randy Castillo that gave me this idea.

Lots of drummers play rudiments on different drums.. but here's some fun with rudiments (I'll use a paradiddle for example)

RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL

Except... everytime it says "R" use your right foot instead... so

R(Foot)L(hand)R(foot)R(foot)L(Hand)R(foot)L(hand)L(hand)

and stuff like that... its fun (and is quite a heavy rock groove)

lildrummaboy

No. 10 Posted on Jun 6, 2005 2:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^I do that exercise all the time, and i think it comes up alot in funk drumming.

My lesson teacher always tells me to practice,ALOT.
Play slowly and then work your way up.

http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/screamsofadrummer
BangkokGuy

No. 11 Posted on Jul 31, 2005 10:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A few suggestions ...
1... You will never get really fast without practice. You gotta build up your muscles and your neural pathways. The ONLY way to do this is practice (unless you want to go the Russian weightlifter route and use electrodes to move your muscles for you)

2... While it is true that you have to make your muscles and neural pathways stronger, chances are pretty good that your technique is not. If you make your technique efficient, then you will be able to jump ahead rather quickly.

In my experience, improving works something like an RPG ... you go you and practice and get experience (kill orcs), and then one day you wake up and you are a level 14 Dwarf, or whatnot. This happens much more quickly when you're a noob.

It also depends on what you practice. Some things give you a lot more experience than others, just like killing a dragon gives you more experience than killing a sewer rat. There ARE shortcuts to getting experience, but they vary from person to person and ALL involve rpactice - its just a matter of tailoring your practice to what will give you the biggest benefits. Here is a piece of advice that most of my students miss ...

YOU WILL NEVER GET BETTER IF YOU PRACTICE WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY GOOD AT.

Its easier to play what you nkow already, and can be lot more fun - especilly if you are getting frustrated. But, if you already know how to do it, why practice it? Kind of like doing the same level again to get the treasure at the end, which you already have.

Here is n excersice that I think will probably help you. Use a pillow or couch or chair or something cushioned. You will get far greater effect this way:
Double strokes, except make the first stroke with either hand really really quiet - as quiet asyou can. Make the second as loud as you can.
.0 .0 .0 .0 .0 .0
rR lL rR lL rR lL

like that. This exercise is great because it makes you play with great technique. There is just no other way top do this efficiently than with solid technique. It also is a physically difficult excercise to do, and makes for great physical exercise. In addition, it makes your hnds learn stick control.

Have fun!

Boojum

that

No. 12 Posted on Aug 6, 2005 10:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
yeah, doubles with the accent inverted is definitely an awesome exercise.

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj
Punk_In_Drublic

No. 13 Posted on Aug 10, 2005 9:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
listen to all the travis barker solos you can find. just idolize him, even dress like him and talk like him and you'll be able to play just like him.

opensubmission

No. 14 Posted on Aug 13, 2005 8:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
practice practice practice! soon enough your wrists/hands/fingers will become more limber and willing to move since they're used to the movement. Start out slow, painfully slow and then start to get faster. When you reach a speed when you can't go any faster without screwing up, stay at that speed and keep going and going and going until you can move up to a new level of fast.

HANNAH
aim: fishaquarian
http://www.myspace.com/thecursesownyou <--- add our band to your friends,NEW MUSIC
popmuzic

No. 15 Posted on Nov 8, 2005 12:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I broke my wrist and had to learn all over again..Without useing my wrists...Hardest most frustrating thing ever..I had to learn the finger technique. To make sure I learned it right my teacher, had me keep telephone books under both arms, I had to hold them in place while moving the stick with my fingers to the metronome....ugh!! It was slow at first, I would watch the tv with my practice pad straped to my leg everyday..2 hours ..Now, I have more control, I'm faster and can play longer then I ever could before ...I still to this day keep limber by playing everynight when, I watch the tv..Once you have these patterns in your head you can apply them everywhere

popmuzic

No. 16 Posted on Nov 8, 2005 12:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I broke my wrist and had to learn all over again..Without useing my wrists...Hardest most frustrating thing ever..I had to learn the finger technique. To make sure I learned it right my teacher, had me keep telephone books under both arms, I had to hold them in place while moving the stick with my fingers to the metronome....ugh!! It was slow at first, I would watch the tv with my practice pad straped to my leg everyday..2 hours ..Now, I have more control, I'm faster and can play longer then I ever could before ...I still to this day keep limber by playing everynight when, I watch the tv..Once you have these patterns in your head you can apply them everywhere

iceo

Drum On!

No. 17 Posted on Jan 25, 2006 6:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i always practice them on a pillow until my arms hurt.later on when i try them on the drumkit.they are so easy because of the rebound factor.

Ten Degrees Of Drumming Turbulence !!

drumguywv

No. 18 Posted on Feb 17, 2006 6:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
remember the great words of bachman .... BURNING MUSCLE PAIN IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

drummerboy15

No. 19 Posted on Oct 14, 2006 7:37 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i'm new but i know rudiments pretty dang good. make sure always that the accent sticks out

goofycat

No. 20 Posted on Jun 3, 2007 10:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Practice is what works. Don't think you can get it into your head that you can just sit around banging on drums and learn anything. I spent 5 hours per day EVERY DAY for nine months on rudiments....going over each rudiment over and over and over until I got where I wanted. You will not notice any particular improvement unless you put in the time. It takes an enormous amount of work, but if you have the patience, you will notice the difference. Don't worry about speed right away. The speed will take care of itself.

BruceJ

Super Moderator

No. 21 Posted on Nov 8, 2007 5:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A general rule of thumb is to start practicing at half the tempo you ultimately want to play at. Use a metronome to monitor your tempo.

Try to start at the slowest possible tempo. Gradually increase the tempo every day. You want to build your muscles and tendons. This takes time. Do not do too much too fast.

If you feel numbness...STOP! You don't want to damage your tendons and nerves. Your muscles may cramp and burn, but beware of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Have a teacher monitor your hand / stick technique and your progress. Always strive for clean technique. Use a mirror to monitor stick height and hand position. Remember, speed means nothing if you can't play cleanly. Always be in control at every tempo, no matter how slow or fast.

Practice with and without the metronome and check to see if you rush or slow down when the metronome is off or muted. Some metronomes allow you to connect an inexpensive footswitch which you can turn on or off while you're playing.

BruceJ edited on Nov 8, 2007 5:31 PM

Bruce Jacoby
Manager of Education
Remo,Inc.
ModernDrummer

No. 22 Posted on Jan 24, 2008 1:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
drummer182 wrote:
I've been playing drums for about a year i think, im fine at sight reading and learning song by ear, thats no problem, It's the rudiment side of things that bugs me. I can do most of the rudiments, just not very fast, the only thing im good at is paradiddles, when it comes to double,triple or anything higher i cant seem to go very fast. It's really killin' me!!! Will i ever get fast at them? Anyone got any tips?
The ONLY, let me repeat that... the O-N-L-Y way to become proficient on the drums is constant and consistent practice.

You're pursuing this correctly (Tom?). Slowly and thoughtfully. Do NOT push the speed aspect. Speed WILL and should come naturally. Work on and practice towards precision, not speed. Make EVERY stick hit, bass kick, hi-hat chink and cymbal crash perfect. As perfectly as you can. THAT'S the goal.

As you gain precision, you'll gain muscle memory, strength and endurance. You'll find speed will increase at a natural pace as your mind and your body gain familiarity with what your doing.

Let it all "flow" from you naturally. Remember that music is about communication and drumming is the most primal, the most organic, and the most creatively expressive instrument out there, bar none. How do I "know" that? Because I also play piano / keyboards, guitar, mandolin, hammer duclimer, zither, autoharp, bass, and flute.

Just remember, it takes constant and consistent practice over a LONG period of time to get anywhere NEAR the level of "advanced", and even longer to get to "Master". HOW long? I'm almost 52, I've been playing 48 years, since age 4, and I've worked on drums an average of an hour day for that entire period of time, and I still have areas in which I can improve. Wanna play at the highest levels, it's a life long pursuit.

How long DOES it take? Well, somewhere PAST the roughly 18,000+ hours I've already put in. I'll let ya know when I finally get there.

Best of luck and keep pounding! Thumbs up

07 May, 2001

drumsftw

TimJ

No. 23 Posted on Sep 4, 2009 4:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
sorry man i had the same problem and the only way to get through is just stick at it Smileyou'll get through and trust me, it feels good Big Smile

DrJosiah

No. 24 Posted on Dec 29, 2009 11:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Qualitative Repetition w/ a Metronome.

And a good teacher will boost your learning curve massively.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 56 milliseconds