Remo
DrumTalk » Education

Challenge: How to teach clean rolls?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Challenge: How to teach clean rolls?
centralsnare06

No. 1 Posted on Jun 26, 2007 2:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
as a 19 year old semi-fresh out of higschool drummer, i've been sort of thrown into the job of drum instructor at a smaller highschool than i went to.

my alma mater was by no means perfect as far as drumline and band was conserned, but i dont hesitate in saying that we were more skilled than the drumline i am currently teaching.

we never really had problems matching as far as double-stroke rolls and diddles. but the school i teach at has alot of trouble getting them even, or even playing them at all (especialy when within triplets).

on to my problem: without ever having to have closely examined the correct way of playing doubles, how on earth do i teach a snare line of 3, much less a drumline of 9 to play clean even double strokes?

-dan

anthra

No. 2 Posted on Feb 28, 2008 7:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
one by one, with a lot of patience Smile

Eeasyflow

No. 3 Posted on Aug 19, 2008 12:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi!
Here is a video that can get you an ide of how to start to build nice clean rolls in tripplets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAuAH0LSexk

Keep in mind to let the tip of the stick to bounce right back up to the high starting posistion right after the stroke to get the time to prepare and to get the downward energi for the second stroke in the double. Start slow and make both motions with the same hight, then after a wile moovi it up to speed.

Good luck!

DrJosiah

No. 4 Posted on Dec 29, 2009 11:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You have to start with technique.

Marching technique is different then drum set.

Also the heads you are using change the technique, Kevlar vs Mylar.

After all that, they have to individually be able to play a roll clean before the line can play clean.

Diddle quality is very important in the line, and there is no easy shortcut besides daily, regimented practice to a metronome.

There are a TON of doubles exercises for lines and individuals, check out RudimentalDrumming.com for a bunch, as well as other marching sites.

However it is a LONG process, so patience is going to be very key.

Having a great 1st snare is also helpful, but nothing will substitute quality playing against the click at ultra slow tempos.

Also you need to emphasize listening to the line for each player, they need to listen to the 1st for the time.

Daddyo

No. 5 Posted on Jan 3, 2010 9:10 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
With my students, drumset and/or marching, a great simple technique that works magic if you practice is very simple.

2 paradiddles (RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL)
16 Count Roll doubles (RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL)

Play them back to back with no rests. This does several things.
(1) You will start to differintiate between your strong hand notes, and your weak hand notes.
(2) Playing back and forth will point out the typical emphasis on strong notes and weak notes that are accented by mistake. You want every note to have the same strength, so if you accent the double RR's in the paradiddle, by practicing back and forth, you will point out your weaknesses faster, and therefore be able to 'fix' the problem (over time of course).
(3) Have another drummer close their eyes and listen to see if they can tell when you switch from paradiddles to the roll and vise-versa. Practice until this in indistinguishable.
(4) have your students recored and listen to themselves. This is one of the best ways to hear your mistakes. When played in a complete drumline, it is difficult even for a pro-drum-tech to spot minor differences.

Hope this helps!

Daddyo

www.TheDrummersLounge.com
Rhythm...Without Boundaries.
DrJosiah

No. 6 Posted on Jan 12, 2010 12:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
daddyo -

That's called check patterns. And is a super common practice with any line. Be it playing 16ths, triplets, paradiddles, etc, etc

centralsnare06 -

I forgot before to mention http://www.scottjohnsondrums.com/

Scott has a ton of great line exercises on his site, as well as a kind of "cafeteria style" pick and choose deal to build a program for your line.
The material will cost money, but you should be able to get your school or boosters to swing the minor amount your way.

Don't be afraid to use the students against themselves, call out individuals against check patterns, the clicker, against your 1st snare, etc

Also don't neglect your bass's or tenors. It's a package deal.

Run 4-2-1's and other simple check system's against everyone.

ABC's was a big favorite of mine for it's extreme effectiveness in note values.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 29 milliseconds