Remo
DrumTalk » Health Rhythms » First HealthRHYTHMS Facilitation

First Health Rhythms Experience Facilitating
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster First Health Rhythms Experience Facilitating
healingmoon

No. 1 Posted on Nov 19, 2011 1:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Below I am posting my original Health Rhythms Incentive Report that I e-mailed to Remo as an attachment.

I attended the Health Rhythm's Program in Danbury, CT on Sept. 16-18th 2011 and put the protocol into play on Sept. 21st 2011.

Thank you for all your support and I have facilitated many more HealthRhythms groups since my first.

I am also facilitating another one with my original senior dementia patients again this week.

Cherisse Gigli RN BSN HNB-BC RA CCAP
LPN Nursing Instructor,
Lincoln Tech., Paramus, NJ

REMO HealthRHYTHMS® Incentive Program

Report Form

Your Name:

Cherisse Gigli BSN RN HNB-BC

Your Shipping Address:

201 Arlington Avenue

Paterson, NJ 07502

Which Training Program did you attend:

Date : Sept. 16-18, 2011

1. Population description and number of participants:

Senior Dementia Residents that averaged in age in late 6o’s to early 70’s

2. Purpose:

To teach therapeutic nursing group process to my nursing students while empowering the dementia residents, I chose to apply the Health Rhythms Protocol. The Theme was to say goodbye to summer and hello to fall while encouraging the residents to verbalize their feelings and memories of childhood seasons through the drumming.

3. How you coordinated the event:

I run nursing groups for dementia residents almost every Wednesday on the behavior unit that I teach my clinical students. I told the activities staff ahead of time that I would be incorporating the Health Rhythms drumming into my next group and showed up with my drums and students.

4. Brief description of the event:

I started with introducing the Health Rhythms program. I then asked the residents to tell me what season was ending and which one beginning to orient them. Then I explained that we would be saying goodbye to summer and welcoming fall with drums. As a Wellness Exercise with the residents in their wheel chairs and geri-chairs, we all stretched like trees with summer leaves then touched are toes to represent falling leaves for fall. I instructed the breathing and I had a student keep a beat. For Breaking the Ice and keeping with the summer season theme we shook our lemon shakers chanting, ”Shake, Shake, Shake, Lets make lemonade. When Life gives you lemons, we make lemonade.” We continued to increase speed and they began to laugh. I then reviewed The ABC’s of Drumming, had them do rhythmic naming and then entrainment. The one senior began as a beat keeper on his own and the non-English speaking resident loved the ocean drum. I preceded facilitating entrainment. The Inspirational beats were drumming the memories of summer. Our guided imagery was on a beach to find something to take back as a summer memory. The Spanish speaking resident was proudly shaking the ocean drum. I asked them to look around the beach during the guided imagery to see what they saw, one senior, spoke out that he saw girls on the beach, and began to belly laugh with tears. We then did some more entrainment and closed with the tree stretch but this time with lemon shakers.

5. Personal Insights:

The energy in the room was joyful. Even residents that do not usually partake in groups joined in. The residents expressed happiness and gratitude afterwards. The staff expressed amazement and gratitude for the next few days. I felt joy and my students expressed that they learned a great deal and felt energized and empowered.

6. Create your own feedback form (a minimum of six questions of the visual analog* type) and forward us the feedback from at least five participants. Please do not ask participants for confidential information.

Due to the fact that I put this into play three days after the Workshops on Wednesday,

Sept. 21st. I asked the activities and educational staff present to type a comment and rate

the effectiveness of keeping the dementia residents engaged and empowered from 1-5 with

1 the least effective and 5 the most effective. The three staff and 5 students all verbal

rated the Health Rhythms a 5. I will cut and paste the following e-mails comments below.

*This program was enjoyable.

1 – not at all

2 – minimally

3 - average

4 – above average

5 – highly

E-MAIL EVALUATIONS BELOW:

Drumming

Kathleen Lane

Sent:

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:51 AM

To:

Cherisse Gigli

Hi Cherisse,

Below is my evaluation that you requested. I did not know who to send it to if you need to add a name, just change the heading and copy & paste it into a word doc.

Good luck,

Kathy

-----------------------------------------------------------

To whom it may concern,

I am a Clinical Educator at Christian Health Care center in Wyckoff, NJ. I have observed Cherisse Gigli perform a “Drumming” group activity on one of our behavioral units. The patients that were involved in the activity and seemed to take pleasure in it very much. It also incorporated exercise simultaneously with enjoyment. I would recommend this activity and use of equipment at our facility.

Kathleen Lane RN, MSN

Clinical Education Department

Christian Health Care Center

301 Sicomac Avenue

Wyckoff NJ 07481

(201) 848-5226

(201) 848-5269 (Fax)

klane@chccnj.org

Health Rhythm Empowerment Drumming

Genny Polanco

Sent:

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:49 PM

To:

Cherisse Gigli

The program of Health Rhythm Empowerment Drumming that you did on Southgate was very good for the residents. They were able to express their emotions. The alternating between relaxation, physical movement, and expression of feelings and memories worked great with the residents.

Thank you again for coming and doing the program in the unit. I hope you can come back and do it again.

Genny Polanco

Activity Coordinator

HM/SG Therapeutic Activity Department

gpolanco@chccnj.org

201-848-4278

Health Rhythm Empowerment Drumming

Genny Polanco

You replied on 10/13/2011 8:00 PM.

Sent:

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:47 PM

To:

Cherisse Gigli

Hello! I had to sent you Margarita’s email too, her email is not working.

The program of Health Rhythm Empowerment Drumming that you did on Southgate was very good for the residents. They were able to express their emotions. The alternating between relaxation, physical movement, and expression of feelings and memories worked great with the residents.

Thank you again for coming and doing the program in the unit. I hope you can come back and do it again.

Margarita Cruz

HM/SG Therapeutic Activity Department

mcruz@chccnj.org

201-848-4273

radstar

No. 2 Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My first experience was on May 2nd as co-facilitator with Kim Beaver, activities director at Otterbein North Shore Senior Lifestyle Community. The protocol worked beautifully, and some of the elders wanted to know if they could "do this everyday." Jody Strickling, social worker here, and I did two sessions with staff on May 10th; she facilitated one and I did the other. It went amazingly smoothly and several people wanted to know how often we plan to do it. Schedules and vacations kept us from moving too much further, but we plan to meet next week to create a plan for sharing the beat as much as possible, especially throughout our community. I'll post some pictures. I'm at work, pics are on my home computer!

Monique

No. 3 Posted on Oct 16, 2012 4:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I facilitated my first Health Rhythms group with my partner Stephen Whitney on Oct. 7th. We both completed the basic training in September 15/16 2012 in Parsippany, NJ. We had a group of 5 folks, 3 massage therapists/healers, an airline mechanic and an artist/house painter. The topic was appreciating our value and unique gifts. The participants loved the session and were surprised that it was just the first time we facilitated it! We faxed the feedback forms. They provided referral sources and we are scheduling sessions at one of the participant's yoga studios.
I'm not sure what other info you need. will supply whatever else you'd like to know.

MisterKen

No. 4 Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi all.

"Mr. Ken" Eidinger here. I attended the Basic Training in Parsippany, NJ in September, 2012 and loved it!

I held my first HR session at the Grade Adult Day Center in Philadelphia PA on Wed., Oct, 10th. Though there were about 50 people in the large day-room, and 40 in the circle, 22 participated. The center specializes in care (meals, and activities) for seniors with Alzheimers, dementia, and other memory impairment issues. The oldest attendee was 102, and the oldest actual participant was 96. Many of the staff members joined in too, at first just to keep things going, but then they caught the fever and kept playing for the joy and fun of it. One of the staff members didn't want to stop. Gotta love that!

I worked my way through the protocol, being mindful of the limited attention span of the seniors. They really liked Rhythmic Naming (one lady spontaneously got up and danced for several minutes while we jammed around her), but were reluctant to share during Inspirational Beats. I had to relate my own experiences of missing family members to try and draw them out. Of course there were only positive words shared during the finale.

Looking forward to my next one!

"Mr. Ken" Eidinger
Founding Director
DC4V (Drum Circles, for Veterans)
610-457-9449
dc4v@independencedrum.org

jinumm

No. 5 Posted on Aug 18, 2014 3:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
good nice topics and answers

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds