Remo
DrumTalk » Health Rhythms

Beat the Odds Protocol...
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Beat the Odds Protocol...
3_Eyed_Otter

No. 1 Posted on Aug 5, 2010 1:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello to all,

Does anybody know the exact protocol used in the Beat the Odds study done in L.A.? Basically, the protocol used in "The Impact of Group Drumming on Social-emotional behavior in Low-income Children" study. I have a friend who does youth counseling and is considering using drumming as part of the intervention. In the study I read that the specifics of the protocol would be published in a seperate article. Anybody heard anything or what we'll have to do to get our hands on it?

have a good one
Bryan

UCLArtsHealing

No. 2 Posted on Oct 27, 2010 12:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello Bryan, Sorry for the delay in response. We haven't yet published the separate article with a fuller description of the protocol. The brief description of the protocol that can be found in the research study is actually a pretty good reflection of the curriculum. Rhythmic activities are used as a metaphor for life - to stimulate reflection, self-disclosure, and discussion - which maximizes internalization and integration of the learning experience. This is similar to what is done in HealthRhythms, only Beat the Odds is a fully scripted curriculum with 8 separate sessions and a booster session (that can double as a demonstration session). [The study involved 12 sessions, but we decided that the goals could be achieved in 8 sessions, which would render it easier to implement in a school setting.] Beat the Odds can be easily adapted to other populations as well. One would essentially need to change the nature of the reflection questions. The curriculum is fully scripted for clinical as well as rhythmic integrity and is designed for anyone to be able to deliver - in order to be able to provide for the masses in need. Someone with an actual music or psychotherapeutic background would find those aspects all the easier to deliver. There is a Beat the Odds information page on the UCLArts and Healing website: http://uclartsandhealing.net/training.aspx. The page includes a link to a brief summary of Beat the Odds that can be downloaded and given to administrators as well as a link to a radio interview with myself (one of the program developers) and music therapist, Judith Pinkerton. We are offering a 6-hour training program in Beat the Odds on Sunday, November 14 from noon to 6 pm at the Remo Recreational Music Center in North Hollywood, CA. Registration for the training can be done online at http://uclartsandhealing.net/events.aspx. our curriculum materials (text with accompanying CD and optional DVD showing all activities in the curriculum delivered to children) are available in hard copy, but will eventually be made available as a download through the website. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. Sincerely, Ping Ho, MA, MPH Director, UCLArts and Healing - info@uclartsandhealing.net, 310-452-1439.

n1068

No. 3 Posted on Dec 13, 2010 2:32 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me.
would you mind updating your blog with more information?

Thomas Sabo/Thomas Sabo Charms

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds