Remo
DrumTalk » Health Rhythms

Teen HealthRhythms
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Teen HealthRhythms
JAO

No. 1 Posted on Jun 2, 2009 6:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello Everyone,

I am scheduled to do a class in September with teens. How would you adapt the HealthRhythms protocol for doing a 6-week session with boys and girls ages 13-17? I will be targeting stress relief in school. Thanks.

Jorge

www.tamborhythms.com

JAO
robbiedrums

No. 2 Posted on Jun 3, 2009 10:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am in the process of completing a six week session with 20 adolescent males and already completed two sessions with 10 boys and girls ages 7 - 12; all of whom are in out-of-home care with extensive and diverse trauma histories. I stuck with the protocol, with minor adjustments to fit the mood of each group. The most recent group with the adolescent males has been interesting because they hit the ground running for the first two groups and then we hit a slight wall. I found that by giving them opportunities outside of the protocol that were appealling to them they flourished. One "game" we played had two chairs in the center of the circle. Two at a time the boys would sit in teh chairs and communicate to each other, while the group kept a quiet simple beat. This seemed to take the stress off of them being the center of attention and opened many of the more resistant youth to participating. Concurrently, I found that this was an excellent way to gadge stress and anger management. Remember: The boys in this group are all in out-of-home care. The trauma and general histories of these youth are quite extensive. No one (knock on wood) became aggressive or inappropriate during the sessions. We have one left next week. If you like, I can let you know how the wrap-up goes. Hope this helps!

Rob
www.rhythmicjourney.com

JAO

No. 3 Posted on Jun 4, 2009 10:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I would like to know how the wrap-up goes.

Jorge

JAO
djembe2

No. 4 Posted on Jun 14, 2009 3:56 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When I was at the training in LA I heard someone at the advanced training talk of using colored gem stones with their troubled teens. I thought the idea was great, providing the participants with a reminder all week of what they worked on in each session. Trouble is I can only remember the colors (green, red, blue, clear) but not totally how they were used. If you were there I think it truly fits this thread and I too am facing a situation that I think this would really work.

HELP!

Nellie

arswain

No. 5 Posted on Jun 15, 2009 1:58 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In response to Nellie, I believe that Dr. Bittman had talked about using the jewel metaphor with his research - and it will be published this week! If it does not explain within the research study, perhaps you can ask him directly. Good luck!

Alyssa

Super Moderator

No. 6 Posted on Apr 7, 2010 10:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you have questions about the adolescent protocol there is a discussion forum which is monitored by one of the adolescent protocol trainers in the facilitator site. If you're HealthRHYTHMS trained, login the "Facilitator Login" and go to the Facilitator Support Network.

Alyssa Janney, MBA
Health Rhythms Manager
Remo, Inc.
chenchen21621

No. 7 Posted on Aug 3, 2010 11:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am in the process of completing a six week session with 20 adolescent males and already completed two sessions with 10 boys and girls ages 7 - 12; all of whom are in out-of-home care with extensive and diverse trauma histories. I stuck with the protocol, with minor adjustments to fit the mood of each group. The most recent group with the adolescent males has been interesting because they hit the ground running for the first two groups and then we hit a slight wall. I found that by giving them opportunities outside of the protocol that were appealling to them they flourished. One "game" we played had two chairs in the center of the circle. Two at a time the boys would sit in teh chairs and communicate to each other, while the group kept a quiet simple beat.

RvJim edited on Nov 4, 2011 4:01 PM

n1068

No. 8 Posted on Dec 13, 2010 11:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Its good article. I found it on google.

I like your post. I found it when I was looking through digg. I'll go bookmark your site now.

Thomas Sabo/Thomas Sabo Charms
Alyssa

Super Moderator

No. 9 Posted on Jan 19, 2011 2:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just wanted to let the folks in this thread know we are offering our HealthRHYTHMS Adolescent Protocol training now at each training we offer in the United States. You can get more information about it at:

http://www.remo.com/portal/pages/hr/professional/HealthRHYTHMS+Adolescent+Protocol.html

Alyssa Janney, MBA
Health Rhythms Manager
Remo, Inc.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 26 milliseconds