Remo
DrumTalk » World Percussion

Re:Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights
TinaDay

No. 1 Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have been looking at the Kelani Flex Drums for use w/HealthRhythms groups, and really informal drumming w/seniors, kids, and other non-musical populations. I have some misc. drums (bongos, buffalo, slapboxx, etc.) but want to add more lightweight djembes to my collection. I have a Toca FreeStyle Lightweight Djembe now, and am trying to decide whether I should purchase more FreeStyles, or go w/the Flex Drums instead.

Cost is a factor, since I'm just starting out, but I also want to have drums that remain useful, sound good, and are easy to transport.

Opinions? Preferences? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!Smile

Tina Hoff
Djembe_G

No. 2 Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like Toca products in terms of their overall value: durable, attractive, lightweight, and decent sound. The bonus to the Flex drums is that they're nesting, though I don't think they sound particularly good. Remo's new Versa Drums offer something similar.... The Toca Freestyle II offers a durable synthetic head AND maintains a fairly traditional look. This is a plus if you're going to dabble at all in folkloric rhythms.

TinaDay

No. 3 Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Djembe_G -- you are right, the Kelani Flex Drums do not sound particularly good (esp. compared to the Toca Lightweights). I bought two Flexes to use w/HealthRhythms groups just to try them out, but don't like the sound. The heads also do not come on and off easily at all. I do want to check out the Versa drums instead, for their nesting value. I'm sure they will sound infinitely better, too.

Tina Hoff

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 51 milliseconds