Remo
DrumTalk » World Percussion

Slaps on Nuskyn Head
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Slaps on Nuskyn Head
araniqkslvr

No. 1 Posted on Aug 3, 2011 3:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently purchased a Remo 14" key tuned djembe with a fiberskyn 3 head and a Tubano with a Nuskyn head. I can get slaps out of the djembe but not the tubano. Does this just need tuned? Or are they harder to do with a nuskyn head?

zoxon

No. 2 Posted on Mar 12, 2012 1:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't know about tubano, never played it, but i own djembes with both fiberskyin and nuskyn, and there is no trouble getting slaps out of either of them...

Loveablesurfer

No. 3 Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've had a variety of drums over the years including djembes, bongos, congas and a doumbek (typically Remo or Meinl). In my limited experience I have found the ability perform a slap is related to technique, head material, head tension and head diameter.

1.) Good technique can make up for a looser skin to a point. 2.) Tightening the drum head can also make slaps easier to a point, the trade off being pitch increases.
3.) A larger diameter head provides a larger area to slap allowing one to focus on the slap technique and not so much the slap location making it a bit more forgiving (again to a point).
4.) I've often found softer, synthetic heads to be easier (and certainly more comfortable).

I find my 14" Remo Djembe (Skyn Deep head) is one of the more forgiving drums I've had when it comes to slaps. I don't have a Tubano but I do have a 10" Tubanito (Skyn Deep head) and that also slaps really easily.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 13 milliseconds