Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Thread for.......
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Topic Moved
This topic has been moved by - EdRock , Sep 26, 2005 3:59 PM
You may read the board announcement or contact board moderators for the reasons.
Poster Thread for.......
Yerfer

No. 1 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 2:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Okay, I've been noticing alot of questions regaurding heads, tuning, beaters, pedals, muffling, etc and I think I will shed some light FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND MY OWN OPINIONS.
Now, these things are mostly the BASICS. So if I don't mention stuff like fiberskin heads or whatever, just remember I am giving a basic over view on some things.

Okay, I'll start with HEADS.
With heads you have many different sound options and remember, a head will have a different outcome on each drum and what kind of material the drum is made of and how its made, etc. So what I'm saying is, If you put a clear ambassador on a maple shell compared to a birch shell, their both going to sound different.
Now, when your thinking of what sound your looking for, here are some things to remember. Heads come in different plys, materials, glues, etc.
Plys.
*ONE PLY HEADS- This head usually has alot more projection and ring because of how thin it is. It is not an ideal head for super hard hitters that go through heads like toilet paper. Unless you can afford it.
Also, a one ply head is usually what most drummers use as a reso head (side of the drum you do NOT hit).
Remember, this head WILL have more sustain.
*TWO PLY HEADS- This head usually has a bit more punch and less ring than a one ply head. It is great for hard hitters that that still want a good sound with moderate decay and shelf life. It is a popular head for the batter side (side of the drum you DO hit).
Remember, this head will have less sustain and more durability.
*Any other fancy heads with rings, oil, vents, etc- Now, this is all up to you and you are going to risk your money for a head that is usually just jazzed up a bit with some extra details. A head that has a ring built into it around the outside is great for people that want a real low sustained tone, more low end, and also this head is usually better for beginners that know jack about tuning. Why? It cuts out alot of the unwanted ring that a normal head without a ring would have if you tuned the drum poorly.
Heads with a dot. This is merely there for durability, and a more focused sound.
Heads with oil. These heads have a very short response and get out the way fast. They are ALOT more dead than a 1 or 2 ply head. Great for a quick boom. Also a more durable head than most.
Heads with small vented holes in them. This is there to create a "dryer" sounding head for those that don't want much body to their drum. This is usually for snare heads.
HEAD TEXTURES.
*Clear- Clear heads are usually more bright and open sounding. You can see into the drum, you can usually see wrinkles on the head better as well with this head. Clears are usually used on toms and kicks but in some cases snare drums also.
*Coated- Coated heads are usually warmer and deeper sounding. It usually has a more straight tone as well. Coated heads are usually used on a snare drum, and in many cases on toms and kicks as well.
*Anything else besides coated and clear- Many different styles of heads, but this is usually for a more avid drummer looking for a more detailed sound or feel. Etc.

Okay, KICK DRUM.

*A OPEN SOUNDING KICK- Usually in my experience I've found that if you want your kick to sound more open you'll want to use little to no muffling at all. The tuning is up to you. Don't be affraid to experiment and try different tunings, etc.
Usually I'll tune my reso head a bit tighter than the batter head. For batter, I'll tune just tight enough to where their is no wrinkles when I push on the center of the drum with mild pressure. You don't want to tune to tight to where the heads won't vibrate unless thats the sound your going for. This is all up to you. Generally for a person thats wanting a more open sound with alot of low end and boom will use something like a Remo Powerstroke 3, Aquarian Superkick 1 or 2, or a Evans EMAD head for the batter side. For the Reso they will usually for for either a one ply or 2 ply head and in some cases they'll want a head with a ring built into it to control some unwanted ring. Usually, I've used a Remo Ebony Ambassador with a 4 to 5 inch off centered hole cut into it to allow micing, sound projection and also for some.......Feel.
As for your slam patch, I recommend a Aquarian kick patch or the Remo Falam Patch if you want to protect the head with still natural tone behind it. If you want a clicky boom, find a click patch from someone. I know that Danmar and Gibraltor both make a click patch.
Now, you can use whatever you want, but this is what I've used in most cases.

*A PUNCHY DEFINED THUMP OR CLICK- Usually for this sound I'll use a Remo Clear Powerstroke 3 for my batter head along with either a Remo Falam Patch or a Aquarian kick patch. For the front head I use the same as the boom set up. The Remo Ebony Ambassador with a hole. For the inside of the kick I use muffling. I will either use a down feathered pillow that is positioned either long ways or side ways depending on what sound and feel I want, or I'll just put a bed sheet inside the kick if I'm going for more volume and usually opens up the punch a bit and allows a close feel to the pillow still.
As for tuning. I tune the same as the open boom tone.

*A DRY THUMP- Use same heads as above but tune tighter or tune super low to where their is small wrinkles in both reso and batter head. Also, a dryer tone works best with coated heads.

Alright, now, about SNARE DRUM and TOM TUNING.
Sheesh, tuning a snare drum will always be a personal thing when it comes to drummers. We all talk about what sound we like, prefer etc. Tuning a snare drum also goes with what I said about heads. Every snare drum is going to sound different due to the size of the drum, what the drum is made out of, snarewires, rims, lugs, etc. THEY ARE ALL GOING TO SOUND DIFFERENT.
Okay, lets start with...
*MEDIUM TUNED SNARE DRUM- If you are wanting to tune medium, you'll want to tune the bottom a bit tighter than the top but tune the top Medium. You don't want to under tune to where the drum almost sounds like a tom, but you don't want to crank it so tight you kill the over all tone of the drum. So find that sweet spot and stay with it if you want this sound.
Usually for the batter head I'll use a Remo Coated Emperor, Remo coated Ambassador, or Remo Emperor X head. For the Reso side I'll use a Remo Snare Ambassador.
For the snare wires, I really like Puresounds that are tighted only tight to where the drum can have moderate amount of snare buzz. But not much.
*TIGHT CRACKY SNARE DRUM- If you are wanting to tune tight, you are going to have to tune both sides tight. But start out small and do small tunings going up around the drum till you get the crack you want. This goes for the reso as well. But remember, the reso is a thinner head and these can bust or crack really really easily if you crank them down to tight. Also remember, the tighter that you crank ANY head, the difference the response is going to feel when you hit the drum.
Same head selection as above.
*DEEP TUNED SNARE DRUM- If you are wanting a deep tuned sound, you will want to tune a bit more loose than the medium tuned snare drum. This sound will resemble something like a old Rod Stewart song.
Same heads as above. Experiment the same as with the kick tunings. Its all up to you for what sound and feel you want.

Okay, Moving on to PEDALS. I've heard so many people come in here asking what pedals they should by. First off, the best judge of that decision is you. I'd recommend you go try out the pedals for yourself if possible and play around with the adjustments on them while your at it. This will allow you to see if it feels the way you want it to. Most pedals today are highly adjustable and offer many different options for different playing styles. Now, when it comes to quality, Every drummer will have his/her own opinion on this. Now, I've owned DW, Pearl, Tama, Premier, and have played Axis and Yamaha pedals. My personal favorites have been the Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glides, Pearl Eliminators, and the Axis Longboards.
I sold my DW's due to all the problems I had with them and how they weren't great for the type of stuff I was doing. Also, remember, with DW pedals you can only get needed parts from them only. So if you need new bearings, you have to order them from DW. And yes, bearings do go out after a while.
With Tama and Pearl, you can apply your own custom bearings if you want. I have Ceramic skateboard bearings in my Iron Cobras and they kill anything I've played on.
Remember, its all your choice. Try them all out and see what you think. See what will work best for you and go with that choice.

Okay, Last for today, BEATERS.
Beaters also help produce a different sound and feel out of your kick drum. For instance, a wooden beater is going to offer alot more attack than say a....felt beater.
Rubber- Great for metal and rock situations where you want a nice punch with a hint of click.
Wood- Definitely a favorite amongst rock and metal drummers. This offers alot of smack and click.
Felt- Great for over all playing and a favorite among people who want a softer sound and less abuse on the batter head. This beater will not have as much attack as the rubber or wood, but will still have some moderate punch.
Plastic- About the same as the wood and Rubber but will sound higher pitched.

Now, remember everyone, these are MY WORDS OUT OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and they are ALSO MY OWN OPINIONS. I made this only to help the in-experienced that are new to drumming and want to find some helful hints regaurding drumming.

Yerfer edited on Sep 26, 2005 2:38 PM

“IT IS BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHO YOU ARE THAN LOVED FOR WHAT YOU ARE NOT”
SPuDS

manbearpig

No. 2 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 3:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
doesn't this belong in the drumtalk section?

My name is Lucas.

Adam

No. 3 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 3:29 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Word.

Good thread.

Internet ass bag.
I'm Canadian, eh?
fvgazi

No. 4 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 3:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes.

i spent it all.
iceo

Drum On!

No. 5 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 6:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
nice thread man.though i was a bit disappointed to hear about the dw's.i thought they were as sturdy and smoother than iron cobra's.

Ten Degrees Of Drumming Turbulence !!

Yerfer

No. 6 Posted on Sep 26, 2005 9:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks guys, I was hoping they'd sticky this for a while because of all the "what kind of heads" threads you see everyday.
Anyways, Yeah, I know some people who really dig their DW's and thats fine with me. But I wouldn't recommend them.

ej1elliot

No. 7 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 6:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
nice thread man Big Smile

ej1elliot

No. 8 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 6:20 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
o yeah forgot... if u want more attack without more abuse to the head on the kick drum, tape an old credit card or plastic loosley to the other side of the batterhead
~Elliot~

Yerfer

No. 9 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 1:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Like, On the batter head but the inside of the drum?

LilDrmr

No. 10 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 1:29 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You know, there will be a thread asking how do I tune, or what heads to get, etc. I will bet anyone 5 broken sticks there will be one in 2 weeks Big Smile

I love my PDP kit, the Royal Onyx, the pillow, the maple shells, I love my PDP kit
sheep

No. 11 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 7:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Really nice

You deserve more than 5 points and sticky, yeah.

*Drumming is life.*

Yerfer

No. 12 Posted on Sep 27, 2005 9:48 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks guys, I was actually hoping they'd sticky this for a while just so these kind of questions don't get asked AS MUCH.
I hope this helps people.

Yojan

No. 13 Posted on Sep 28, 2005 1:53 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, in the mean time, I guess we can just keep bumping it!Big Smile

A good read though Yerfer, it's good to reming us all on it, especially I know I'm prone to forget the stuff about the things I don't often use!

www.myspace.com/deathdeniedofficial

pwc

No. 14 Posted on Sep 28, 2005 2:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
While I can appreciate that Yerfer put some effort into this, it seems to me that a simple Remo stickied reminder of the tuning bible and product descriptions to be found on their own site would be a better option and offer a less personal set of guidelines.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
sheep

No. 15 Posted on Sep 28, 2005 7:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes, Peet

You are right
But not only tuning bible, there are others interesting pages like the one for cymbals, and etc.
Just if Ed could make a thread when he asks us the best pages about everything and then he makes a sticky with the best of pages. Or could a mod do this?

*Drumming is life.*

Bartboy

No. 16 Posted on Sep 28, 2005 8:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks yefer, that is really really good advice.

This should definitely be made a sticky for a time, and if its not, we will have to make it our responsibility to make it one.

stefkedrum

move it

No. 17 Posted on Sep 28, 2005 8:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
sheep wrote:
Yes, Peet

You are right
But not only tuning bible, there are others interesting pages like the one for cymbals, and etc.
Just if Ed could make a thread when he asks us the best pages about everything and then he makes a sticky with the best of pages. Or could a mod do this?

Good idea Sheep, and yes, I'll look into it with Crush and Ed...is a good idea to make a sticky thread of this for a while...

If you want a cool sound....Put your amp in the fridge...[TEE]
Yerfer

No. 18 Posted on Oct 27, 2005 1:09 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Okay, more info......This time its regaurding some playing questions I've seen time after time.
I'd like to go over feet and hand speed and control.

Alright, lets start with feet.

FEET: Okay, regaurdless if you play single or double pedal you will still want to work both feet cause you still need a good foot on the hats. Now, their is many different ways to use pedals and these techniques vary from person to person. So do not think that a certain way is written in stone for everyone to play. Although its great to learn them all and be able to play them fluently.
Lets talk about a "few" of these techniques.
1. Heels UP- This is where your heels are up off the ground or above the heel plates. This is a great for power and volume. Also requires a bit more leg (quads and hips).
2. Heels DOWN- This is where your heels are down on the ground or on the heel plates. It requires alot more SHINS, ANKLES, Outer CALVES and strict posture. It is great for control and conserving energy (once you get it down). This is one that some drummers start right off with and do well at, and one that drummers have had to work at for years to get even decent at. It is not easy. But a good one to learn.
3. Heel TOE- This is where you use your whole foot to use both the heel and front balls of your feet. Most drummers start off with the beater resting on the head and slam the heel down first followed by a quick snapping motion to the front ball of the foot where you will get a second strike. This is great for doubles. Toughy to get down, but is useful for certain things. Also is a great work out building up the legs for heels up and heels down playing.
4. Anything ELSE thats out there- I've seen the "two step" where the drummer does a double but starts on a lower part of the pedal for the first strike but then steps the foot up about an inch or half higher for the second hit of the double. Also, I've seen the "swivel" where your ankles go back and forth from side to side. This works well for keeping a steady measure of consistant notes. But takes practice just like every other part of drumming.

Okay, these are the MOST used techniques in playing with your feet. They MUST be practiced to improve. I hear people say all the time, How do I get my feet faster, more solid, more on time, more powerful, more endurance, more consistant, etc?
The real answer is practice. Over time and practicing your body will not only condition itself but will also learn to "do's" and "dont's". Over time you will notice things that work better than others. You will find things that slow you down, that speed you up, that feel more comfortable and that feel painful, etc. So be attentive and just focus on how your feeling and mark down your progression rates. This allows you to see progress and move up to the next step.
START SLOW AND PLAY WITH A METRONOME!!!! This is vital for gaining a steadier rhythym with the feet PERIOD. Pick a good comfortable tempo that you can play with for lets say.....10 minutes STRAIGHT WITH THE CLICK GOING. Towards the last 5 minutes you should be feeling "the burn". This is where the "conditioning" is coming in and your body is breaking down so it can build back up later. Do this regularly with multiple patterns between feet and hands or just feet or hands alone. Trust me, OVER TIME THE CHOPS AND SOLID SYNCOPATION WILL COME!
You continue to practice and believe in yourself and keep your goals in mind. You will succeed at almost anything you do in life.
You will get discouraged because you see people around you playing faster, longer, more difficult patterns and musical pieces. But continue and later on you'll look back and be greatful for the time and energy you spent to get where you will be then.
Nothing comes for free, remember that. Their is no "easier way out". You practice and you get out of it what you put into it.
In the past I looked for all the easy ways to get blistering feet/hands and scouted out just about every site on the internet that contained information regaurding such things. In the end I found out it was all about ME and that I was being LAZY. Think Thomas Lang or someone like Derek Roddy got where there at by finding an easy way out or just sitting around? Nope, they have practiced YEARS and love what they do, And they are good at it.
Just remember to make practicing fun and keep the motivation alive. That is what will keep you moving. Find your drive and stick to it.

Okay, I will get more info up later on HANDS! So stick around for the next bit!

Practice practice and practice!

emo_metal

frank the tank

No. 19 Posted on Nov 29, 2005 10:57 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
this is a pretty weak threadWink

which drumhead sounds the best?
ZBT's are the shit man!
should i use remo O rings with my pinstripes?
syncopation

No. 20 Posted on Jan 12, 2006 12:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice job here, alot of good info.!

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 21 Posted on Apr 13, 2006 7:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The heel-toe thing is interesting. I'm a heel down person, always have been and can get pretty fair doubles. I'd like to try the heel-toe but I have a size 12 foot and don't think there's room for it. Does the size of your foot affect this?

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
ludor

No. 22 Posted on May 8, 2006 12:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yoho Yerfer,

I am one off those who are back in the drumtown and have to learn it all again. I have build my kit myself, including the shells (see where to put holes #2)but now I am trouble, because the only way to see wether the kit is good for use is to experiment on tuning. You gave that very much needed info, thanks for that.
In your second post on practicing I found ear protectors for industrial use, as seen on construction sites very helpfull.
(The ones like the old headphones, all enclosing your ears)
You look like an idiot, but if you put your mp3player headphones in your ears first, put the earprotector over that you can play along with the best musicians in the world without the need of an P.A. to be able to hear the music and not only your drums. I makes practicing fun to me.
Greetings, Koko.

Yerfer

No. 23 Posted on Jun 20, 2006 8:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicknIt,
Hey, Yes the size of your foot does effect heel toe playing depending on how your playing it. For a size 12 foot it would be wise to use the Axis longboards. They are long and great for heel toe playing.

Yerfer

No. 24 Posted on Jun 20, 2006 8:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey Ludor,
Thanks for the nice words, Thats cool that you've made some of your own stuff.

Patrick

No. 25 Posted on Jun 20, 2006 11:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
this isn't exactly advice, but just a bit of info from the way i've been taught: regardless of the pedal (be it longboards or regular) , have the center of your arch right over where the hinge/bearing is. heel/toe should work pretty well from there, as well as all strokes (even though, when playing quieter , and usually this when i'm heels-down doing 4-on-the-four, 'felt but not heard', i'll move up a bit on the board)

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 72 milliseconds