Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

To the Owners of the Drum Dial
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re:To the Owners of the Drum Dial [Re:slidin6ofem]
RvJim

Reverend

No. 176 Posted on Apr 1, 2010 8:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
slidin6ofem wrote:
We are hitting **** with sticks. And getting this upset and worked up over a doohicky? Hit it with a stick again and STFU.

I agree with Crusher that this is a debate. Further, I disagree with the just hitting **** with sticks. I tend to think what I do is much more than that, but that seems to not be the case for you.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
BrandonPorter

For you

No. 177 Posted on Apr 5, 2010 10:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In addition, this thread is nearly 5 years old. Many of the people who posted on it are no longer members...

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
slidin6ofem

No. 178 Posted on Apr 17, 2010 7:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You're right. I don't take it THAT seriously. To me it's music. If in the end it sounds right...it doesn't really matter how you got there.

tomcat

manic

No. 179 Posted on Apr 18, 2010 1:29 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
slidin6ofem wrote:
We are hitting **** with sticks. And getting this upset and worked up over a doohicky? Hit it with a stick again and STFU.

everybody does it in their own way, nothing wrong with that. but I think along lines like rev jim. I like to think I put a bit more thought into it.

btw
who's upset and worked up Stupid
well, maybe one.

Better Living Through Paiste

adamjbarnes

No. 180 Posted on Apr 19, 2010 3:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Interesting reading your responses...

I had my first experience of a drum dial on Saturday in a local studio. After the recording session, when I was packing down, the engineer brought out a drum dial that he sometimes has to use with drummers who have tuning problems.

So we put the drum dial on my 12" rack tom, on each of the 5 lugs on the batter head...and each lug was extremely close to the recommended settings that come with the drum dial. I was pleased, as I tune using harmonics and not a drum dial. I would happily invest to aid with helping to tune my kit more quickly, though I have managed to get by without. If technology can help, then it's worth considering.

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 181 Posted on Apr 19, 2010 4:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
adamjbarnes wrote:
So we put the drum dial on my 12" rack tom, on each of the 5 lugs on the batter head...and each lug was extremely close to the recommended settings that come with the drum dial. I was pleased, as I tune using harmonics and not a drum dial.

^^Perhaps this lends credibility to the drum dial being a useful tool. There will always be tweaking, but someone who can't tune worth a flip can at least get their drums sounding decent with the dial.

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
adamjbarnes

No. 182 Posted on Apr 19, 2010 4:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BrandonPorter wrote:
^^Perhaps this lends credibility to the drum dial being a useful tool. There will always be tweaking, but someone who can't tune worth a flip can at least get their drums sounding decent with the dial.

Exactly, well said. And I do use Remo heads of course Big Smile

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 183 Posted on Apr 19, 2010 9:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^Welcome to Remo Drum Talk, by the way!

StillKicken

No. 184 Posted on Apr 19, 2010 10:04 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes and I am the one your talking about not being able to tune a flip! LOL!!

I donít know why but I have always had problems tuning. Iíve never had anyone try to teach me (maybe that can not be taught) how to listen.

I use the Tama dial, these things are not 100% but they are darn close. One thing I have noticed though you can not just turn that lug right to the number on each lug and expect it to be right. When you are close sometimes the indicator will not move so only a very slight touch or turn of the key is all that is needed. As you move around the rim and come back you may fine it on the mark. Not sure but I believe the rim must be very even all the way around. After multiple uses I think the stretching of the skin in a number of directions and the evenness of the rim is a major factor. Iím not so sure that is always the case when tuning by ear. Iím also sure it has a lot to do with the individual doing the tuning.

Sherm

BTW: I also welcome you to the forum.

iphoenix

No. 185 Posted on May 6, 2010 8:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i find it a very useful aid but thats all it is, it will never replace the ability to tune by ear. After i bring all lugs to equal pitch i then take out the dial and tweak.....its a painful process but after 10 years i think its starting to make sense!!

Download the I Phoenix EP for FREE:

http://iphoenix.bandcamp.com/

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 186 Posted on May 7, 2010 3:17 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^Nice plug. Hopefully that's not the only reason you're here.

iphoenix

No. 187 Posted on May 7, 2010 9:08 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
no its not the only reason i'm here but thanks for your concern

Download the I Phoenix EP for FREE:

http://iphoenix.bandcamp.com/

pbloxam

Sound-Master

No. 188 Posted on May 7, 2010 12:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
iphoenix wrote:
i find it a very useful aid but thats all it is, it will never replace the ability to tune by ear. After i bring all lugs to equal pitch i then take out the dial and tweak.....its a painful process but after 10 years i think its starting to make sense!!

This thread is so old however I find it funny that guitarist and bass players, and other instruments require tuning devices, and please folks, don't tell me you can tune by ear cuz its garbage...Very few have perfect pitch and while they can tune relative to themselves, it's not necessarily to an exact pitch.

Therefore, why do drummers say, I use the tuner to a point and then adjust "by ear" to finalize the sound....Your ear is actually better at getting the exact pitch at each lug???

I find that hard to believe....

If the tuner says 56 @ each lug, the head tension will be the same therefore the sound should be very close....

Given varying thickness in the film and other variables, probably hard to get it perfect, but I doubt humans can do better than the machine...

Here's the hottest lick for getting killer sound from your drums... Nothing approachs it...

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Some sit wondering...Others are doing while you waste time wondering....

www.myspace.com/drummerfromhellion
moneyowen

No. 189 Posted on May 7, 2010 2:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Guitars and other stringed instrument have been around for hundreds of years. Electronic tuners, maybe 20? or 30. There is a 'correct' note for a guitar string to be in tune. It can be a pure note, or a reference, say from a piano, which may or may not be in tune. But at least everyone, the brass players, reeds, strings and vocals can all be in tune. There is no such thing for a drum.

I don't see any reason to tune drums to a specific note. Unless you were playing a tune, which we typically don't. I adjust my drum head tension to where the drums sound good to me. And others too, I guess, since they still call me. I do not believe my drums would pass the tuning tension test of all being exactly even at this point. Maybe they would? I'm not sure. I don't believe having everything precisely even means it sounds good.

Most guitar players I know can tune by ear. It's not that hard and doesn't require perfect pitch. Most of these dudes are over 40. But hell yeah, a lot of them can't, and the electric tuner is great for that.

From what I have read here, the drum tuners help a lot of guys here and they feel comfortable using it. That's all good.

For the life of me, I don't know why this subject stirs things up so in here. At least it's a discussion? years old, ok. I guess it's still going on. I don't use the drum tuner. And I do think it's not a good idea to get TOO hung up on your lugs all at 60 or whatever, so now your drums are working right. That's what they mean by getting it in the ballpark, then making some adjustments. If it helps, use it.

camsinclair

No. 190 Posted on Jul 28, 2010 1:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have one, I think it's great, I can tune by ear with time on my hands, though, I rehearse on the kit with bands twice a week for two four hour timeslots (my situation doesn't allow a kit in my flat), at rehearsal the guys wouldn't allow me to sit there 'tinkering' for more than 10mins so I use the drum-dial to get my kit as close as possible to my 'defaults'.

I see reason in tuning the drums to notes, I try to tune my floor tom to the root note of the guitar tuning and then tune the rack toms up in thirds from the floor.

they can scratch the head though if I'm not careful, if I don't drag it around on the drum this doesn't happen, also if I tap the head when the dial is seated it tends to fix up the pressure of how I set it down on the drum.

It helps me out so I'm all for it.

camsinclair edited on Jul 28, 2010 1:14 AM

Stroudhouse

No. 191 Posted on Nov 25, 2011 4:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Firstly, I'm not a drummer. I'm a singer, guitar player, and sound engineer. I find that, with most things in life, people shun what they do not understand. Shoot... I do it myself. The drum dail, when learned to use correctly, is a fantastic tool. I admit, when I first tried to use it I wanted to throw the thing through the wall. When I finally figured out (poor instructions in the box) what I was doing wrong... It worked great. It's funny when a drummer comes into the studio with a kit full of tape, and muffle rings, or double coated blah, blah heads. That's always one of those drummers who's saying they tune by ear. If they only had a drum dail.

Lesludwig

No. 192 Posted on Jun 22, 2013 6:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I bought a drum dial 2 years ago, I have played drums since 1963 ,yes that is a long time,and I think they are great .As you get older ,hearing is affected,and so it's not always easy to tune to a specific pitch.I,ve realised since buying a drum dial,I probably never could get the best sound out of a kit.To all those drummers who say they can tune drums the traditional way,you are very lucky,because the drummers I have spoken to over the years,tuning is very hit and miss affair.I use my drum dial on all my drums,and it really is so easy,once you get to understand how to use it correctly.Because a drum dial is so sensitive,it makes me realise that not many turns of a drum key are required to get the sound and feel of the drum,that I want.Drum Dial is probably not for everyone,but for me they certainly help tune drums without all the tapping and constant checking,my neighbours appreciate the lack of noise too.Just be careful not to drag it across the drum head,it will leave marks.

Lesludwig

No. 193 Posted on Jun 24, 2013 9:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi guys,help needed.I have a ludwig super classic18 inch floor Tom,emperor batter,amb.reso.Cannot get a nice tone out of it ,no matter what I try with a d d.Has anybody got any useful suggestions for settings.cheers.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 194 Posted on Jun 24, 2013 10:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lesludwig wrote:
Hi guys,help needed.I have a ludwig super classic18 inch floor Tom,emperor batter,amb.reso.Cannot get a nice tone out of it ,no matter what I try with a d d.Has anybody got any useful suggestions for settings.cheers.

Floor Toms can be tuned perfectly, and yet sound crummy due to their positioning ( close to the floor, vertical, larger diameter head and the Drummer is so close).

The larger diameter head and depth make it a slow responder. I tension my larger Toms tighter because of that situation. Played with a tymp stick/mallet, I'd bet it sounds better than when played with a stick. Try tuning with a mallet. The stick sound will suffer some when you're seated merely a half-metre away.

It's touchy from the driver's seat. Once you've settled on the tone/tension compromise - check the tension setting on the Dial. Use that reading later. Heads have to settle-in, too, so it just might be that having a larger surface area challenges our patience. { I'm not a Dial-user, BTW, but I don't hold any animosity toward those who do }.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 195 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've used the dial system(Tama Watch)for some time now and have noticed when tuning larger drums using the same setting or close to the smaller toms worked fine for me. Think about it; the larger the drum head the tighter it will need to be to create a tone.

It's natural to want to tune larger drums lower because they are bigger. Actually the larger the drum the lower the tone, so let the drum size dictate the differences from one drum to the next.

Tuning them all the same is not perfect but it is a starting point. Listen to the differences then tweak the drum that needs to fit in with the rest. You will also notice playing ability/stick response will improve with tighter heads.

Don't forget the same holds true for the bass drum.

It's all about practice and finding the sound you like best.

Sherm

StillKicken edited on Jun 26, 2013 7:02 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Go to page Previous 12345678

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 65 milliseconds