Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

To the Owners of the Drum Dial
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re:To the Owners of the Drum Dial [Re:PoorButGood]
OldFart

Mapex

No. 151 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 8:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well ...

When two hands - one on each side of the big ditch - can reach over and press the same button at the same time, then true sailing is dead.

That's my contribution Big Smile

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
BrandonPorter

For you

No. 152 Posted on Apr 23, 2008 4:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pbloxam wrote:
And the best drummer in the world is........!!!!

Adrian, this has already been answered. It's Ben, hands down.

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
pbloxam

Sound-Master

No. 153 Posted on Apr 23, 2008 12:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am sure that most of us want to believe that what we feel is right/correct and most are steadfast in their beliefs...

the problem is ..beliefs are based off feelings/learned knowledge and not always actual facts...

People may espouse, "Neil Peart is the best drummer" Too whom?
To you maybe, but not to everyone else or for that matter, anyone else...

"The best drumhead for your type of playing is"...
Again personal preference, not necessarily those of anyone elses...

"The best drumstick to use is"....
Same crap, different subject.....

"Tune by ear"...again subjective and wonderfully brought up when an individual with a hearing problem pops up....Not necessarily the best answer....

Almost everything talked about on this forum outside of direct answers,is personal preference...

here's an example...whats a paradiddle?

the correct answer is lrllrlrr or rlrrlrll..To espouse some crap about personal beliefs is irrelovent...

This seems to be the thing that bothers me the most....

If someone makes a statement that they use a tuner to tune, then its subjective/personal to them...

Saying you should learn to tune the way you do is unimportant and insulting!!!!

A simple statement acknowledging the individuals right to his own decision/thought process should be paramount to a response which insults/or notes lack of abilities...

While many talk the talk, I don't see many who can walk the walk...

mho...(which usually causes trouble, but I just can't help it when I read stuff that is biased...)

Phillie B.

Been away diving into JoJo's dvd...(personal preference) I have got to improve my chops!!!I am still not happy with my results...

Some sit wondering...Others are doing while you waste time wondering....

www.myspace.com/drummerfromhellion
Boettcher68

Tim

No. 154 Posted on Apr 23, 2008 1:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pbloxam wrote:
I am sure that most of us want to believe that what we feel is right/correct and most are steadfast in their beliefs...

the problem is ..beliefs are based off feelings/learned knowledge and not always actual facts...

People may espouse, "Neil Peart is the best drummer" Too whom?
To you maybe, but not to everyone else or for that matter, anyone else...

"The best drumhead for your type of playing is"...
Again personal preference, not necessarily those of anyone elses...

"The best drumstick to use is"....
Same crap, different subject.....

"Tune by ear"...again subjective and wonderfully brought up when an individual with a hearing problem pops up....Not necessarily the best answer....

Almost everything talked about on this forum outside of direct answers,is personal preference...

here's an example...whats a paradiddle?

the correct answer is lrllrlrr or rlrrlrll..To espouse some crap about personal beliefs is irrelovent...

This seems to be the thing that bothers me the most....

If someone makes a statement that they use a tuner to tune, then its subjective/personal to them...

Saying you should learn to tune the way you do is unimportant and insulting!!!!

A simple statement acknowledging the individuals right to his own decision/thought process should be paramount to a response which insults/or notes lack of abilities...

While many talk the talk, I don't see many who can walk the walk...

mho...(which usually causes trouble, but I just can't help it when I read stuff that is biased...)

Phillie B.

Been away diving into JoJo's dvd...(personal preference) I have got to improve my chops!!!I am still not happy with my results...

Dude, you gotta relax!

What does your post have to do with a drum dial?

He had a legitimate post, so where did all that (above) come from? I think your overreacting IMHO

pbloxam

Sound-Master

No. 155 Posted on Apr 24, 2008 3:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am not angry, only frustrated...

I have used a drum dial, and was insulted for it....

I have used a drum torque also...Neary....

Anything that can put me ahead of the game or the next individual is what I will do...

Kudos to all for trying something new....

Drum Dials work!!!

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 156 Posted on Apr 24, 2008 4:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah, I've already posted in this thread, but I'll agree with those who use the drum dial.

What I've noticed is that the dial works much better as the tension increases, so for a snare drum it's probably best. For the bass drum, you might have to do more tweaking when you're done with the dial.

It is a tool, like many other things. If you like it, great! Use it. If you don't, fine. Don't use it. To ridicule one who uses it is sill, IMO. If someone can't tune well, or in the case of the reviver of this thread, can't hear well, why should he/she have to play with crappy sounding poorly tuned drums? If the dial helps one to get a better sound out of the drum, great.

Should drummers be able to use their ears to tune? Perhaps. Can we all? No. The ability to tune is not necessarily correlated to the ability to play.

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
Crusher

No. 157 Posted on Apr 24, 2008 2:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BrandonPorter wrote:

Should drummers be able to use their ears to tune? Perhaps. Can we all? No. The ability to tune is not necessarily correlated to the ability to play.

And that sums up my feelings right there.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
moneyowen

No. 158 Posted on Apr 25, 2008 5:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's still not the same thing as a tuning a guitar to an electronic tuner. Not even close. Guitar strings are tuned to specific notes. Drums are not. If the device helps you for whatever reason, use it. If it doesn't, then don't bother with it.

FWIW, Evelyn Glennie is profoundly deaf and a very gifted multi percussionist. I'd bet a dollar she can play drum set better than most of us guys also. Since she IS a girl drummer, yes she's cute too. And Scottish

(Click the picture to view the original one)

moneyowen edited on Apr 25, 2008 5:19 PM

Roadhog

No. 159 Posted on Apr 25, 2008 8:23 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If drums cannot be tuned to specific pitches (let's say an E on the kick drum) then what's the point of pitch matching a shell? Even though it's a membrane as opposed to a linear element (string) then there has to be a dominant fundamental pitch there or any tuning would be pointless. Drop in some moons or overtone rings and see if that fundamental pitch doesn't stand out. Then see if obtaining a perfect major pitch isn't possible.

If you change the things you look at, the things you look at change.
Boettcher68

Tim

No. 160 Posted on Apr 26, 2008 4:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thats a whole other debate. It has its pro's and con's but for the most part I believe its a sales gimick.

moneyowen

No. 161 Posted on Apr 26, 2008 1:36 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Roadhog wrote:
If drums cannot be tuned to specific pitches (let's say an E on the kick drum) then what's the point of pitch matching a shell? Even though it's a membrane as opposed to a linear element (string) then there has to be a dominant fundamental pitch there or any tuning would be pointless. Drop in some moons or overtone rings and see if that fundamental pitch doesn't stand out. Then see if obtaining a perfect major pitch isn't possible.

drums CAN be tuned to a specific pitch. But since we don't play tunes or melodies on them, there is no specific reason to do so, and I don't know of anyone (except possibly Terry Bozzio) who does. A guitar, piano, sax, oboe, et cetera are indeed tuned to a specific pitch,and won't sound good in the general context of things unless they are. My point being, there is not a specific pitch or note a 12" tom (for example) is supposed to be tuned to. No point of reference, as there is in a middle C on piano, or a guitar string. And supposing there was, the drum dial will not, can not let you obtain that note, since it is a device that measures tension not tonal value. Can you tune a guitar string by measuring the tension placed on the tuning peg? or the relative tension on the string itself? no you can't. You could theoretically determine that the pressure is equal or similar (as the drum dial does..) but this would in no way determine that it is 'in tune' or is producing the proper note or tonal value.

What is the point of pitch matching a shell? I don't really know if there is a point. You could ask John Goode at DW, as far as I know, they are the only ones doing it. But if you read DW's literature a little, you quickly find that the timber matching process they do is designed to get drum shells that will behave in such a fashion as to sound good in relation to one another within the context of a set of drums ( a good idea..) but NOT to say that that particular drum is supposed to be a C# or whatever. Please, don't take my word for it. DW has it on their website.

AS far as tuning gizmos, I am mystified as to why they cause such debate amongst drummers. Aside from the fact that, well, it's amongst drummers. I don't use one. I have used one. I guess I don't need one. I have always said if it helps you get your drums sounding the way you want, and you have difficulty achieving this without the device, then it's a good thing.
I would also add that it's PROBABLY not a good idea to get too hung up on the idea that it is a panacea and that if you set your tom toms to 75 or whatever, that this means that they are now 'in tune' and subsequently sound good or proper.

StillKicken

No. 162 Posted on Apr 26, 2008 8:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
TUNE The word tune or tuning a drum I think is a little misleading. Most drummers do not tune their drums to a given note like an A or Bb, etc. I feel the phrase tuning a drum is more or less a slang word. By tuning a drum to specific tone or sound we feel is pleasing to the ear not necessarily a given note, that to me is tuning a drum.

I do use a dial tuner. At times, I feel Im tone deaf and unable to distinguish differences in tone from one lug to the next. I do have some high pitch hearing loss. I do not know if this has an effect on how I hear drums (low tones) but I do know it has an effect on how I hear cymbals.

Using the dial over time has helped me to learn how to listen. I have found myself making minor changes during a gig and to my surprise, Ive made changes that resulted in an improvement.

Below is a web site I would like to reference. Im not advocating or promoting the tuner advertised but there is some interesting reading on how a drum head reacts and creates a sound or type of sound in relationship of the two heads. Click on the ikon, ABOUT DRUMS.

https://www.resotune.com/index.html

Sherm

louielewis

No. 163 Posted on Jan 21, 2009 9:35 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
After reading all the pro/cons of the Drum Dial I decided to invest. Heck I thought if it doesn't work/do as it says I'll sell it on eBay! I've had it for approximately three hours now and I'm blown away by how useful it is.

I've played drums for over twenty years in various styles and always thought I was pretty good at tuning up. In the last 5 years I've been playing big band and jazz and I've struggled to find my sound for each and retune quickly for each type of gig. I've just found the answer!

I've just tuned up my new kit DW Jazz Series 18BD 12 14 & snare in about 20 mins and those drums sound totally awesome. I tuned batter and bottom to same tension ie 83 on the dial for toms and 78 on the dial for bass. I went for 85 on the snare and 78 bottom head. Easy! The drums are really singing and it was so quick to tune then retune then tweak them.

I also tried tuning my old 1960s Gretsch Round Badge 20BD 13 & 16 that I've always struggled with. Again I tuned the toms to 85 on the dial then tried 83 on both heads. The kit has never sounded better. Its so easy to find the right tunings.

I'm really pleased with the Drum Dial. I agree that it does seem to be better suited for higher tuning tensions and its so easy to get the heads evenly tensioned and to find the right spot for the shell to sing / resonate. If you try a tension eg 85 and it's not right then you can retune both heads to say 83 in about 3 minutes flat. In no time you'll find the sweet spot for your drum.

Its that quick & easy.

I also read that the device can damage drum heads! I cant see how that could be the case?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Drum Dial. Tuning always seemed a chore to me - this makes it real fun and it encourages you to try different tunings - which you can find real quick.

www.hamiltonlewis.co.uk

louielewis edited on Jan 21, 2009 9:42 AM

mild

No. 164 Posted on Mar 2, 2009 11:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I own one......It's nice and helps......it provides additional options towards my ultimate goal which is to enjoy my drumming.

If you can afford it....buy one.

If it offends you.....no comment.

I joined this site after googling "DrumDial" as I was curious what would comeback.

I'm a 50 year old beginner and having a blast.....I also take lessons........I bought a new set cuz I'm lucky that way....

PeteNoAccess

No. 165 Posted on Mar 2, 2009 11:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
(this thread is like... 4 years old)

i dont use a drumdial, period Tongue

but yeah, if you got the cash, its worth a go Smile

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
Crusher

No. 166 Posted on Mar 2, 2009 11:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
mild wrote:
I own one......It's nice and helps......it provides additional options towards my ultimate goal which is to enjoy my drumming.

I joined this site after googling "DrumDial" as I was curious what would comeback.

I'm a 50 year old beginner and having a blast.....I also take lessons........I bought a new set cuz I'm lucky that way....

Welcome to Remo. good to have you aboard.

Musicians Wisdom

marv

No. 167 Posted on Mar 3, 2009 5:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Welcome aboard mild and thanks for bringing
back up the most controversial topic here besides
what size sticks do you use.....

I like it too and glad you found it!

Marv

Marv Peck
www.drivingallnight.com
pbloxam

Sound-Master

No. 168 Posted on Mar 3, 2009 6:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
mild wrote:

Welcome brotherman and glad to see some open-mindness!!!

Peace!!

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 169 Posted on Mar 5, 2009 9:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Indeed, welcome.

But yes, this thread is quite old.

I hope you can come back and visit often, this is THE greatest drum forum on the net, bar none.

BP

mild

No. 170 Posted on Mar 5, 2009 10:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thank you for the warm welcome....I've gone back and read a lot of the posts.......seems like the world of drumming and it's mechanisms are way more complex than this beginner had realized.....I've been banging for about three weeks now averaging an hour a day.......and "banging" is still the best description. Having taped myself today and listened back there sure is really one way for my skills to go......up......as they are barely rudimentary and that would be complimentary......

enjoy it or quit,

mild

(remember these are the postings of a beginner)
daleebertson

No. 171 Posted on Dec 16, 2009 6:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I love my Drumdial but I recently dropped it and thought it was out of calibration or ruined. I found this calibration video at their website and I was able to get my tuner re calibrated pretty easily.

http://www.drumdial.com/calibrate_video.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g953twZb8OE

animal2k2

No. 172 Posted on Feb 23, 2010 7:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The drum dial makes a drum in tune because it makes the skin an equal tension all round, enabling the drum to resonate more freely from the centre of the drum. If the head isn't an even tension it doesn't resonate from the centre but instead in an interesting pattern, depending on the actual tension. This may be desirable, may not, but it still makes the drum dial a useful tool for getting volume and resonance from a drum, and helps train a newbie's ears.

seeitshimmer

No. 173 Posted on Feb 23, 2010 10:58 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just used this website as a guideline. It just explains some basic music theory as to how to achieve notes that sound good together. I then took a chromatic tuner, and tuned to those notes. I obtained better results than going by ear, but that's only because I'm a little tone deaf.

http://www.tunadrum.com/tuning_intervals.html

slidin6ofem

No. 174 Posted on Mar 30, 2010 9:31 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
We are hitting **** with sticks. And getting this upset and worked up over a doohicky? Hit it with a stick again and STFU.

Crusher

No. 175 Posted on Apr 1, 2010 7:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
slidin6ofem wrote:
We are hitting **** with sticks. And getting this upset and worked up over a doohicky? Hit it with a stick again and STFU.

This is more of a debate then people getting upset. It happens a lot over forums.

Musicians Wisdom

Go to page Previous 12345678 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 82 milliseconds