Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

To the Owners of the Drum Dial
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re:To the Owners of the Drum Dial [Re:PoorButGood]
Roadhog

No. 126 Posted on Feb 4, 2008 9:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thing is, You've gotta be smarter than the toolWink

If you change the things you look at, the things you look at change.
wadswebs

No. 127 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 12:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What about those of us drummers that are hard of hearing/deaf and can't hear the drum's tones. In this instance, I think the drumdial would significantly help get the drums to sound the way it should. I have a 98% hearing loss in both ears and I play the drums and guitar. I tune my guitar with a tuner mostly, but once in a while I can tune it by ear pretty closely. But as for the drums, the vibrations are so similar and the sound is nearly exact, thereby nearly impossible for someone of my disadvantage to get that close. In this instance, I think the drumdial or similar devices would be ideal.

Being that I am not by any means a professional drummer, and drum purely for the pleasure at the moment, I am curious as to what those who do play professionally or even just for gigs, would suggest for situations such as mine. I don't know any local drummers that can help me without going to a music store and shelling out 20 bucks/drum to tune them for me to get some idea of how to tune them. I know the concept of how to tune by ear, but like I said earlier in my post, I can't hear virtually at all to even tune it properly. Any suggestions? I have a Evans Torque key, but it doesn't do anything for me as far as tuning the drums. Debating on if I should get a drumdial or not.

Thanks in advanced.
Wadswebs

ModernDrummer

No. 128 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 6:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ya can always tell when someone new comes to the forum, as they'll inevitably pull up a post from years ago! Big Smile Big Smile And welcome to the forum, Wadswebs! Thumbs up

If you're deaf, you're going to always have significant challenges with music in general, unfortunately. Not much there I can help with unless you're able to obtain hearing aids, or already have them.

A Drum Dial is NOT going to get you a particular drum sound you may be looking for. All that a DD can do is show you the relative tension at a specific point on the head, that's it. It will NOT tell you if the drum is actually "in tune", nor whether it's in tune relative to the other drums on the kit.

Further, due to differences in manufacturing tolerances on drums (which aren't very tight compared to many other industries), having the exact same tension at each point (usually the lugs) is NO guarantee the drum is in tune with itself or relative to the others. The drum may (quite likely) need to have somewhat different tensions at different points.

In order to do that, you're going to have to make some accomodation so you (or someone you know) can hear the drums.

ModernDrummer edited on Apr 20, 2008 6:45 AM

07 May, 2001

lilblakdak

No. 129 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 7:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When a drumdial is used properly it can be a very effective tool that is used by drumtechs for some very high profile drummers.
The idea is that you tune your drums, then you take the dial and find out the setting the drum is at. That way next time you tune that drum you can use the dial to quickly get it close to in tune and then fine tune it by ear. When your in a loud bar or arena and you blow a snare, it will take you 2 mins to swap out a head instead of 15. Or, your tech/soundman/girlfriend can quickly tune it, while you play your spare.

Its meant to be a tool to help you, its not meant to tune the drum for you.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
marv

No. 130 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 7:37 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'd suggest doing both things you've mentioned.
Pay the drummer dude at the store one time to tune the drums for you. If he's a decent guy, he might even do it for free.

Then buy a drum dial and measure the tensions after he's drum.
That will allow you to stay really close to where he tuned it.

I know some folks will talk about the need to fine tune the drums to really be precise but I can't hear the difference in the fine tuning. A good solid tuning from the drum dial works great for me.

Welcome to the board and be prepared to see a huge and emotional response to this issue.

Marv Peck
www.drivingallnight.com
Roadhog

No. 131 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 9:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm putting on some hotdogs and popcorn as we speakBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

If you change the things you look at, the things you look at change.
ashenpantheon

No. 132 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 9:39 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Way to necro the thread. Can we automatically lock anything that goes a week without new posts please?

paul

paulmiller

No. 133 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 10:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
As MD pointed out, if you're deaf music may present many challenges besides just tuning your drums. I'd suggest getting an electronic set, especially if your playing will be mostly at home. You can plug in a pair of headphones and turn them up as loud as you want without disturbing anyone in the neighborhood, and you can set them for whatever sound you want.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

paul

paulmiller

No. 134 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 10:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Also, you probably should have started a new thread titled something like "tuning for the partially deaf," or some such, instead of digging up this old thing.

At any rate, good luck, and welcome to the forum.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

RvJim

Reverend

No. 135 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 2:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lol I think the why was another old thread argument is more entertaining than the same argument that happens on the actual topic each time this thread is resurrected.

If you want my view on tuning and the use of tools such as the dial I ain't rewriting them, go and read the thread. I am certain that atleast someone has written from your own view point.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Boettcher68

Tim

No. 136 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 3:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
Also, you probably should have started a new thread titled something like "tuning for the partially deaf," or some such, instead of digging up this old thing.

At any rate, good luck, and welcome to the forum.

If he would of started a new thread, people would have told him to use the search function. I guess the new guys sometimes dont have a chance!

Boettcher68 edited on Apr 20, 2008 3:10 PM

OldFart

Mapex

No. 137 Posted on Apr 20, 2008 7:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Amazing how many Hits this thread has gotten over time.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
BrandonPorter

For you

No. 138 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 5:43 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Boettcher68 wrote:
If he would of started a new thread, people would have told him to use the search function. I guess the new guys sometimes dont have a chance!

LOL Good point! Smile

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
OldFart

Mapex

No. 139 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 10:44 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Perhaps, then, Stickie this thread so it's more easily found and allow it to live along side the photo thread and the configurator thread since this topic has staunch supporters with strong opinions on both sides of the issue.

New people would be able to follow all the posts to its conclusion without much trouble. I think if that's done, we'd also need obvious instructions against starting a new Drum Dial related thread.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
wadswebs

No. 140 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 11:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the replies. I had considered having my brother-in-law tune it for me (he has been playing drums since he was like 9 and he is 38 now...lol) and then purchase a drumdial to record the tension setting he has it at so that I can come close to it later. Not sure how well this idea would work, but I dont expect precise tuning with any tool that is available on the market right now. I expect sometime in the future there may be a tool like that of a Guitar tuner for the drums but that wont be before my lifetime lol.

Just a little info-bit, I do wear hearing aids but they dont "restore" normal hearing, thereby making hearing those overtones, and pitches quite a challenge. Maybe to make myself a little clearer as to what I am expecting from the Drumdial, is this: To make the drum sound O.K. and not have a deep whooshing sound each time i strike the drum head lol. I also expect for the drums to sound different in respect to the other drums. (I.E. my 10 inch drum to sound higher than my 12 inch, my 12 inch sounding higher than my 13 inch, my 13 inch to sound higher than my 15 floor tom, and my 15 floor tom to sound WAY higher than my 24 inch bass drum.) All of my drums with the exception of my snare, each have one head, so no need to tune the batter side to a resonant side, just to get rid of that god awful whooh whoosh sound when I strike the head. Could this tool be worth the time, money and effort to get? That is pretty much my question. Thanks again! Smile

Boettcher68

Tim

No. 141 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 2:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Welcome to the forum!

I give you a lot of credit man!

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

Tim

lilblakdak

No. 142 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 2:19 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you use the dial the way you describe it will work fine.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Crusher

No. 143 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 3:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hmm I know of sight impaired drummers, one armed drummers, 1 legged drummers,a cerbal palsy drummer, a drummer who had been in a serious fire, and now a hearing impaired drummer. This is truly inspirational and should show us that their are people who can go through amazing things to learn the craft.

EDIT: I took the advice and added this thread to the Best of 2006 thread.

Crusher edited on Apr 21, 2008 3:11 PM

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
OldFart

Mapex

No. 144 Posted on Apr 21, 2008 4:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
Hmm I know of sight impaired drummers, one armed drummers, 1 legged drummers,a cerbal palsy drummer, a drummer who had been in a serious fire, and now a hearing impaired drummer. This is truly inspirational and should show us that their are people who can go through amazing things to learn the craft.

EDIT: I took the advice and added this thread to the Best of 2006 thread.

Thanks Crusher Cool

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
pbloxam

Sound-Master

No. 145 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 12:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good lord!!! Can't let this go can you!!!!

Use whatever means you have to "tune" your drums...

If you got ear, save 60 bucks....

If you feel comfort or support, buy the damn thing!!

For all you cats that have perfect ear, don't ever break sticks and have perfect meter, you know where to place it!!!

sick of hearing it...its an never ending debate of wasted human breath...

sheesh!!!!

And the best drummer in the world is........!!!!

Some sit wondering...Others are doing while you waste time wondering....

www.myspace.com/drummerfromhellion
Crusher

No. 146 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 1:48 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pbloxam wrote:
Good lord!!! Can't let this go can you!!!!

Use whatever means you have to "tune" your drums...

If you got ear, save 60 bucks....

If you feel comfort or support, buy the damn thing!!

For all you cats that have perfect ear, don't ever break sticks and have perfect meter, you know where to place it!!!

sick of hearing it...its an never ending debate of wasted human breath...

sheesh!!!!

Buddy buddy buddy calm down. He had a legitimate reason for bringing the issue up.

Musicians Wisdom

kudoco

Adrian

No. 147 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 2:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pbloxam wrote:

Georgie!

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
Densbak

No. 148 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 2:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I can make my own drum dial for around $10.00! I'm not sure why I'd make it though.

Crusher

No. 149 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 4:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Densbak wrote:
I can make my own drum dial for around $10.00! I'm not sure why I'd make it though.

Hockey puck and a dial indicator?

Musicians Wisdom

tomcat

manic

No. 150 Posted on Apr 22, 2008 7:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
thats exactly what it is, a dial indicator mounted
to a heavy weight Wink

btw
I wonder why the purists never seem to take up the soapbox when
guitarist use electronic tuners Stupid

Better Living Through Paiste

Go to page Previous 12345678 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 70 milliseconds