Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

To the Owners of the Drum Dial
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re:To the Owners of the Drum Dial [Re:PoorButGood]
marv

No. 26 Posted on Jul 1, 2005 4:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, let's try and answer some questions about the drum dial that folks who don't use them don't seem to understand.

First off the "setting of #70 or what ever silly number..."
Is NOT a number that someone else has come up with. Yes, the maker of the drum dial does have a suggestion range, but that's only a suggestion. It's up to the individual to come up with a number that works for their set, their heads and the music that they play.

To answer the next question..."in tune with what"...The answer is in tune with the rest of your drums, your heads and the music you play.

Yes, you may still have to tweak a bit to get the tone you want but the good thing with the drum dial is that it can get you in the right zone very quickly.

I've found this very helpful at gigs because the drums do go out of tune during transport. Once you're at the gig, they always have music playing before the band plays and the drum dial helps me get back in the right zone quickly.

For those of you who don't "need" a drum dial, that's great, good for you.

For those of us who find it helpful, that's great. Like I said before, I had a very difficult time learning how to tune my drums. I understood the concepts, I just couldn't "hear" the tones that well. Once I started using the drum dial, and I heard my heads on my drums in my space getting closer to be in tune, I began to learn how to hear those tones better. Now, when a head starts to go out of tune, I can actually hear it.

Marv

Slide

No. 27 Posted on Jul 1, 2005 7:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I swear this seems like its a im better than you becuase i can tune by ear! This is so stupid, if you dont want to spend the money on a drum dial or dont have the money to spend on a drum dial, don't hate on people that have one. jesus we are talking about tuning drums, just becuase you can tune a drum doesnt make you better at drumming, you can just tune drums.

www.Kaleidoscopedream.com
Bartboy

No. 28 Posted on Jul 1, 2005 7:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Slide wrote:
I swear this seems like its a im better than you becuase i can tune by ear! This is so stupid, if you dont want to spend the money on a drum dial or dont have the money to spend on a drum dial, don't hate on people that have one. jesus we are talking about tuning drums, just becuase you can tune a drum doesnt make you better at drumming, you can just tune drums.

I agree, I never ment any of what I said to sound like that, if it did.

toeknee

eats with feet

No. 29 Posted on Jul 1, 2005 8:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
it seems to me some people here are skeptical of whether or not it will work ( one of the people here use a DIFFERENT product made by tama – that is less money – not implying it’s a bad product I have never used it but I know it costs less at ever store I have seen)

if you can tune by ear great! – but I can guaranty that I can tune faster with my drum-dial (so if speed is what you looking for then this is a good product)

as for qualiy of the tune - how is it fair to say anyone is BETTER then anyone else ( I mean you are manipulating a acoustical instrument) just because I use a tool (the drum dial) and someone else uses their ears (also a tool – it just happens to be attached to you head) how can you judge what you can with JUST you ears while I have MY EARS and a PERCISE TENSION MEASURING TOOL to aid me

im not saying im better at anything than anyone else - butt all the arguments against the drum dial on this thread have no real facts in them

::insert witty comment here::
StillKicken

No. 30 Posted on Jul 3, 2005 7:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It just amazes me how people can get so up set about the littlest things in life. I mean what difference is it if something works for you but something else works for another person to get the same result.

Example: In the world of model airplanes, I use fuel with 100% Castor as lubricant, others use synthetics and still others will use a mixture. Some will argue about it but will we get the same result? Sure, the plane flies and we all have FUN.

Now back to music, I have been reading Remo threads for about a year now and have really enjoyed it. But every now and then things seem to get a little heated about heads, cymbals and especially tuners. Why not just give your opions and experiences without getting upset? Then let the questioning person decide for them selves.

I like using the Tama Dial and I have to say it is helping me learn more about using my ears. HOWEVER, I am not there yet. Ok, my hearing is not the best. I do have a certain amount of high pitch loss.

Now why is I can get close with my ears, but this is what is happening. As an example, let’s pick two lugs. I can tap Lug #1 then tap Lug #2. #2 will sound higher than #1. Now I will tap Lug #2 first and #1 will have a higher tone. Hmmm?

I can tell when a drum is out of tune with the others but fixing it is another thing. Some of you will say each drum should be in tune with it self. I tend to agree, but if I can find that tone then record the tuner reading, why wouldn’t I be able to re-create that tone with a tuner.

My 2c worth.
Sherm
PS: By the way. The addressed title was “To The OWNERS of the Drum Dial”

David

No. 31 Posted on Jul 3, 2005 9:40 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think itsmajot flaw is it depending on how hard you place it on the skin it will read a different reading

That is why it as a bezel edge thing on it...it's for consistency.

I have one. It will NEVER tune your drums perfectly, but it gets them in tune damn fast, and from there you can use all ear.

Formerly known as SwissArmyTriplet

BradleyC

No. 32 Posted on Jul 17, 2005 10:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
yea i got the drumdial it's good get it

"If looks could kill then Death would be my name" -(Misfits, Bruiser)
PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 33 Posted on Jul 17, 2005 10:48 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BradleyC wrote:
yea i got the drumdial it's good get it

thanks man but this is a pretty old thread and i think after tweaking around a little bit, I can get away with tuning by a drum key and my set of ears just fine. I also end up saving $60 and adding to my knowledge of tuning.

anyways, thanks.

Drumming is NOT a sport; it's an art form.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html
NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 34 Posted on Jul 18, 2005 3:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
bying a drum dial would help your tunning too

i want every stupid drum toy i see though

but in this case i would buy it ccause it could totaly help your (if its not for you) hawk it on Ebay they hold their value quite well

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/RHYMESwithMUSIC
myspace.com/poorpauly

yamaha maple absolute nouveau, ask me and i'll tell you why...
HammerDown

No. 35 Posted on Jul 18, 2005 5:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PoorButGood wrote:
thanks man but this is a pretty old thread and i think after tweaking around a little bit, I can get away with tuning by a drum key and my set of ears just fine. I also end up saving $60 and adding to my knowledge of tuning.

anyways, thanks.

Well said...and good for you taking the time (learning) how to properly tune a drum Wink

RvJim

Reverend

No. 36 Posted on Jul 18, 2005 5:26 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Infact the dial will put your drums perfectly in tune if the drum is perfect.. So on most kits it will require ear tweaking afterward but on top line kits it shouldn't. I use it and think its an excellent tool, I ear tune my drum to where I think it should be, use the dial to make the tension even then correct the little bits of phase here and there and wham, sounds great. The dial will never replace the ear but I can promise you before I started using it I couldn't tune a drum and now I could prolly do it without the dial no problems, but why when it can help me do it faster and I know its gonna be accurate.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 37 Posted on Jul 18, 2005 5:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^^^^^^

so are you saying by using a drum dial your not tuning it properly??? cause my drums sound pretty damn good (or in other words tuned pretty damn properly) and since i have started using a drum dial have vowed to keep using it (even if just to record my settings - its a great tool)

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/poorpauly

tracer

No. 38 Posted on Jul 20, 2005 4:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I know I would not be in a studio with out a drum dial.
If I am using my acoustic kit,I am using drum dial.
Only kits that do not get out of tune on the road are e-kits.
The rest are demanding retunning the moment they go anywhere.

cause my drums sound pretty damn good (or in other words tuned pretty damn properly)

Wait till you go to a studio mr "perfect"
You will soon find out who is more "perfect"

The tech in a studio, 'if he is a pro' will not let you set up with out using a pro-method to get that kit to standard.

If a drum set is not warped, drumdial will perfectly tune alone.
I love it.

tracer edited on Jul 20, 2005 4:19 AM

Bartboy

No. 39 Posted on Jul 20, 2005 7:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PoorButGood wrote:
Alright, I'm considering buying a Drum Dial in order to enhance my tuning and so it will be more precise. I was wondering who uses it here. What are the pros and cons? Is it really beneficial? Is is worth the money and does it do what it is supposed to do flawlessly? Any thoughts? Are you satisfied with it or not? And did you suck at tuning at first or you just wanted to be precise?

So did you ever get one?

PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 40 Posted on Jul 20, 2005 7:29 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
No, I survived without one. Clown

Drumming is NOT a sport; it's an art form.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html
NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 41 Posted on Jul 21, 2005 4:52 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
tracer wrote:

Wait till you go to a studio mr "perfect"
You will soon find out who is more "perfect"

The tech in a studio, 'if he is a pro' will not let you set up with out using a pro-method to get that kit to standard.

i never said "perfect" - my choice of words were "pretty damn good" What are you talking about?

and why dont you inlighten us all on what exactly the "pro method" is ???

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/poorpauly

BradleyC

No. 42 Posted on Jul 22, 2005 6:53 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, I usually tune by ear too but the drumdial is especially useful when one must tune in loud situations- and fast

"If looks could kill then Death would be my name" -(Misfits, Bruiser)
Dan

No. 43 Posted on Jul 22, 2005 7:01 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've never known it to take much time or effort to tune drums.

Bartboy

No. 44 Posted on Jul 23, 2005 4:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dan wrote:
I've never known it to take much time or effort to tune drums.

Same here! The only thing I find takes a long time is when I put new heads on, then I have to find what they sound like and tune them, but would a drum dial help if you didn't know the number you had to get it to?

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 45 Posted on Jul 23, 2005 3:56 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Bartboy wrote:
Same here! The only thing I find takes a long time is when I put new heads on, then I have to find what they sound like and tune them, but would a drum dial help if you didn't know the number you had to get it to?

with new heads the dial is even more accurate

if you tune your drums almost the same you could check a different drum and see what the reading was (just to use a starting point)

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/poorpauly

Multibomber

No. 46 Posted on Jul 24, 2005 8:58 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The Dum Dial actually COMPENSATES for inaccuracies in shells and lugs. I used it to yune a tom with a wavy shell and worked great.

Basically everyone who has a DD loves it, and every old person who can tune (or thinks he can tune) scoffs at it. "Young whippersnappers and their new-fangled tuning dials, when I was their age, if we wanted to play with something, we cut holes in our pockets!"

BTW, the Tama Tension Watch SUCKS!!! The bezel that comes with the DD makes a HUGE difference!

marv

No. 47 Posted on Jul 25, 2005 4:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Man, this is one topic that just refuses to die huh?...lol

I've tried to not post anymore on this topic but you raised a point that I just had to address. You said every old person who can tune scoffs at it. Well, I guess I'm old (almost 55) and I love my drum dial.

So some of us old farts can change when someone shows us something good, huh? ....lol

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 48 Posted on Jul 25, 2005 5:10 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^^^

well i f you know that this thread is over lived (then you would know the goings on) allot of people out right bash this product (or say its like training wheels)

it is, and it isn't. but i think anyone reading this should try it for themselves and if you dont like it (sell it or try to brig it back to the place you bought it from and say it suckss (do whatever you have to) but just try it before you knock it

thats my only point

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/poorpauly

BangkokGuy

No. 49 Posted on Jul 25, 2005 6:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
>>>>.I am stumped by the idea that having even tension at various spots on the drum head means that it sounds good, or is "in tune"

When I tune a drum or a whole set of drums, I get the drum to sound good, and be in tune with itself and the heads. I doubt very seriously that each lug would have the precise amount of same tension at each spot or that the head would be exact all around the rim. In fact, I would imagine it would not be. Well OK I would bet a dollar that would not be the case.
I don't see how good sound = some sort of uniformity on the head.<<<<<<<<<<

Physics, my boy! Physics! Take a coule of science classes, and you will see th the world is governed by sets of principles ... like things fall at 9.8 meters /second squared. Similarly, there are formulas that "govern" (chicken/egg - who cares?) things like aerodynamics and resonance. There is physics at work in the drum, thats why you hear any sound at all. Guitar tuners work because sound is governed by physics, too.

Re; drum dial, I had one a while back, and I liked it, but I can be a little clumsy, and I dropped it and it broke in 2 weeks. C'est la vie, or C'es la $60, whichever you prefer.

It does compesate for the drums - it measures the effect after the drums and lugs have had their effect. However, the head itself cause problems. They are often not completely uniform, especially if you've hit them a few times (and I mean few!) This is where the ear comes in.

Just like tuning a guitar - the guitar string chnges pitch depending on where you fret and how long the note is held. A guitar tuner can be pretty accurate but never perfect for this reason.

BTW ... I noticed a difference between Remo and Evans heads when using the DD ... I noticed that for some reason it was easier for me to tune the Remo with the DD ... the Evans seemed a bit spongier and didn't seem to respond as well to the DD. Anyone else notice anything like that?

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 50 Posted on Jul 25, 2005 7:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BangkokGuy wrote:
>>>>.I am stumped by the idea that having even tension at various spots on the drum head means that it sounds good, or is "in tune"

BTW ... I noticed a difference between Remo and Evans heads when using the DD ... I noticed that for some reason it was easier for me to tune the Remo with the DD ... the Evans seemed a bit spongier and didn't seem to respond as well to the DD. Anyone else notice anything like that?

to people who use the drum dial to tune (it can be difficult) (here are lots of things to take in to account like you guys said (lugs , tension rod lubrication, old or damaged heads, hell even the whether has an effect on this thing hypothetically)

but if you use it to get close and then fine tune by ear (the way i do) then you will see virtually no faults in using a dial, and you will find you can over compensate for the faults of (rods, lugs, heads) in the drum dial with a little ear tuning (and when I say a little I mean very little)

also i have a evans G1 (i think it might be coated - i don’t know who evens classes there heads with coats)
and i find the dial works even better on the evans head on my trick snare

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/poorpauly

Go to page Previous 12345678 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 70 milliseconds