Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

To the Owners of the Drum Dial
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster To the Owners of the Drum Dial
PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 1 Posted on Jun 28, 2005 9:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Alright, I'm considering buying a Drum Dial in order to enhance my tuning and so it will be more precise. I was wondering who uses it here. What are the pros and cons? Is it really beneficial? Is is worth the money and does it do what it is supposed to do flawlessly? Any thoughts? Are you satisfied with it or not? And did you suck at tuning at first or you just wanted to be precise?

Drumming is NOT a sport; it's an art form.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html
fvgazi

No. 2 Posted on Jun 28, 2005 9:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i bought a drum dial a couple weeks ago, and i have to say it greatly enhanced the sound of my set, overall. the snare and bass sound pretty badass. but i've already mentioned i've had trouble tuning my toms, of which i am now going to make a whiney post about. if you are going to buy it, BEWARE! it will scratch your heads if you are not careful with it, and pick it up as you go around the head. the edge gauge (or whatever its called) is kind of a pain in the ass to use too, but thats not really a big deal. so overall, i'd have to say i'm pretty satisfied with it.

and while i was typing that, i just thought i'd add that the dial measures head tension, not lug tension, so it may read that a lug will be tuned a lot higher than it actually is. its fun to play around with though. Cool

RvJim

Reverend

No. 3 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 1:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think itsmajot flaw is it depending on how hard you place it on the skin it will read a different reading so you have to ensure yoiu place it the same way everytime, that being said you get good at that pretty quickly... It is really good at helping you hear when the pitches are closer together you will still need to fine tune after you use it but atleast it'll all be in the same ball park! I think the thing they are best for is snare drums because its harder to hear the note at the individial points (Comparitaviley) to any other drum especially if you have a shallow drum. I think they are worth it purely based on that.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
marv

No. 4 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 4:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I own a drum dial and use it all the time. I can't think of any downsides to it. You asked the question does it do what it is suppossed to do. Yup, it measures the head tension so it is possible to get the head evenly tensioned all around. I didn't suck at tuning before but this sure has helped me get the head in tune, and I can hear it better now when it falls out of tune. You still have to experiement to find the best tension for your drum and your preference but it is so much easier for me to do that with the drum dial. It's also great to be able to take the drum dial to a gig and get the drums back in tune after being transported into a new room that is noisy. I'm very satisfied with it. Feel free to ask more questions or write it you would like to do.

toeknee

eats with feet

No. 5 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 5:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i own and love it

Nothing wrong at all - it makes my tama's sound very full of body and like they are way larger then they are ( i have a small 10, 12, 14 , 20) and there is no other way to explain it MY DRUMS SOUND HUGE

its making me experiment with different heads too (rign now i have PINs over HYDRUALICS)

the only thing i have noticed is if you have any stick marks on old head sometimes you will get a screwy reading. that and make sure you take care of your tension rods (if they stick while your tuning them you'll get a huge jump in readings) it works better with new heads (but im sure you figured that) sometimes logos on the head makes the reading off (but just a half a degree or so) and thats pretty much it

get it GEt it GET IT!!

you will be very pleased (its only like 60 bucks) and it will eliminate so many of your tuning head-aches - it has even made me a better ear tuner.. i use my dial on everything then fine tune it

(if you get one. you wanna swap tuning combos with different head - i have been looking for others to talk about on this subject for a while )

you will pleased if you get one

::insert witty comment here::
sheep

No. 6 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 7:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks PoorButGood for asking this.
I was wondering also.

So I'm gonna buy my own Drum Dial and see how it works.

Everybody should Wink.

*Drumming is life.*

Bartboy

No. 7 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 9:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Why cant you save $60 and tune normaly?

Rob

abstract art

No. 8 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 11:00 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
they already have it, let them use. someone else is bound to come on here abd make a stink about how the drumdial is useless and learn to tune by ear. imo it is a tool that can be used to aid in tuning. whether or not you believe it is worth it is your opinion. i do not use one, but i would be curious to see it work.

i feel i tune fairly well, but for someone without tuning abilities, it might be worth checking out.

HammerDown

No. 9 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 4:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Rob wrote: whether or not you believe it is worth it is your opinion. i do not use one, but i would be curious to see it work.

With all due respects, with all the variables on a wooden drum temp, construction, bearing edge imperfections bla-bla-bla etc the "dial" will be far from close.
I know how to tune...but for giggles I tryed the one my brother has on his Tama Drums (a sucker for gimmicks). After going around the drum several times (for dial settings)...then tapping the drum at each lug...the tuning was off. Once I pointed this out he learned to listen and tune the correct way.
My suggestion for those that are having tuning issues...PRACTICE! Much faster and the proper way to tune a Drum.

PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 10 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 5:40 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Forget it guys, I don't need it. I got my drums to sound good again and I like them. Instead of putting $60 toward a drum money, I'm gonna put it toward my next kit. Wink

Anyways I feel much better knowing I can tune right with just a drum key and 2 hours a day for 2 days. Tongue

Good luck.

Slide

No. 11 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 9:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Drum Dials are straight, my dad bought me one, its cool, it will tune your drums up evenly real quick, its a good tool to have, say you get your drums sounding the way you want with your ears. break out the drum dial and record your measurments and in an instant you can achieve the same sound quickly with the change of new heads, yes there is a little more tunning to do by ear afterwards but it speeds up the process. i really dont give a *** if i can tune them all by ear. if thats what you want to do, go ahead waste your time, it doesnt make you any better than me. I get my *** done faster than you and it is more effecient in my eyes.

www.Kaleidoscopedream.com
PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 12 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 9:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I never knew there was a prize in tuning something faster.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 13 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 10:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I wanna watch you tuning experts do it in a noisy club.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 14 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 10:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Oh I'm in no way, shape, form, weight, or looks, an expert at tuning. I just know enough to get by. Approved

Bugg

No. 15 Posted on Jun 29, 2005 11:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:

That's like asking, "how do you talk to the person next to you in a noisy club." A drum is louder than a voice, that's how it works.

HammerDown

No. 16 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 4:48 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Slide wrote: i really dont give a *** if i can tune them all by ear.

So there ya have it...

Go ahead and use it, but when you (really learn) how to tune a drum, and tune it fast by ear, you will realize what a waste of daddy's money that do-hicky was. Wink
And to the post below...tuning in a loud club isn't a problem.
Bottom line here is, you can't rely on (because of toooo many variables) a dial to tell ya what a drum should sound like OR when it sounds good...period!Cool

Tip for the day...practice tuning, once you get it it's really easy!

pgdrums

No. 17 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 7:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Bugg wrote:
That's like asking, "how do you talk to the person next to you in a noisy club." A drum is louder than a voice, that's how it works.

That doesn't work for fine tuning. I've been forced into situations where I've had to do some gross tuning on the fly in a noisy situation, but I hate it. If you play your drums too loudly when tuning them, it's impossible to isolate a particular tension rod, because you're exciting the head around all the other tension rods. What you hear isn't a true reading at a particular lug. To do it the most accurate way possible, I think you have to tap the head fairly lightly at each tension rod. That's not possible in a noisy environment.

Bartboy

No. 18 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 10:02 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:

Cant you just tune before the club is noisy? like when everyone is setting up or something.

azn_mofo

No. 19 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 10:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think it's a good tool for me because I am not the greatest tuner. Now I don't use it anymore and just tune it. But it is handy every once in a while when I am frustrated with tuning or don't have the patience. It is a handy tool to do quick tune ups and then use the "tapping tuning key" to get every tension rod to sound the same by.

I encourage you to get one if you get frustrated with tuning like me Smile

moneyowen

No. 20 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 11:11 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's great if it helps you. It's great if you don't need one.

I am stumped by the idea that having even tension at various spots on the drum head means that it sounds good, or is "in tune"

When I tune a drum or a whole set of drums, I get the drum to sound good, and be in tune with itself and the heads. I doubt very seriously that each lug would have the precise amount of same tension at each spot or that the head would be exact all around the rim. In fact, I would imagine it would not be. Well OK I would bet a dollar that would not be the case.
I don't see how good sound = some sort of uniformity on the head.

If it works for you, great, use it.
I would not get too hung up on the idea though that buying one + set everything on 6 or 9 or whatever will = good sound or "tuned"

Its not like tuning a guitar with a tuning fork or electronic tuner, where you are striving for a specific pitch. Personally I have no use for a drum dial, I'm not faster or better or more handsome or well endowed or any of that (well, maybe I am...)
thats just what it is.

Bartboy

No. 21 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 12:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
moneyowen wrote:
It's great if it helps you. It's great if you don't need one.

I am stumped by the idea that having even tension at various spots on the drum head means that it sounds good, or is "in tune"

When I tune a drum or a whole set of drums, I get the drum to sound good, and be in tune with itself and the heads. I doubt very seriously that each lug would have the precise amount of same tension at each spot or that the head would be exact all around the rim. In fact, I would imagine it would not be. Well OK I would bet a dollar that would not be the case.

I would not get too hung up on the idea though that buying one + set everything on 6 or 9 or whatever will = good sound or "tuned"

Its not like tuning a guitar with a tuning fork or electronic tuner, where you are striving for a specific pitch. Personally I have no use for a drum dial, I'm not faster or better or more handsome or well endowed or any of that (well, maybe I am...)
thats just what it is.

Exactly! I would much prefer a speed key instead of a $60 'tuner.'

HammerDown

No. 22 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 2:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
moneyowen wrote:

Its not like tuning a guitar with a tuning fork or electronic tuner,I have no use for a drum dial,

I agree 100% and I see were on the same level about this contraptionBig Smile
(IF) in a perfect world a wooden drum was a precise instrument (which it's not) the Drum Dial would have a chance...but it don't.
Save your money, tune it right...tune by ear.Wink

pgdrums

No. 23 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 2:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Bartboy wrote:
Cant you just tune before the club is noisy? like when everyone is setting up or something.

I try to fine tune my drums before every gig, roughly once a week. I really prefer complete silence when I'm doing it. Proper tuning is difficult enough even under perfect circumstances, so why try to do it when you're at a disadvantage? Even when I'm home, the sound of the HVAC or a refrigerator or a fan or anything else that generates noise can mask some of the many tones a drum produces. Maybe other people have a better ear than I do, but I try to turn all those things off because I need all the help I can get.

I've never had much luck trying to tune at a gig. The guitarist or bass player tweaking totally gets in the way, or just the ambient noise in the room. About the only time I'll try tuning on the gig is when I have to for some reason. For example, at the outdoor gig last weekend where the humidity just sunk my drums. It totally detuned them. I cranked the snare back up, but I didn't mess with the toms because they're too hard to tune when I can't hear what I'm doing. They'll get another good tuning tomorrow.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 24 Posted on Jun 30, 2005 5:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Bartboy wrote:

What if you are not there before its noisy? Its a useful tool even if you don't use it often.

-Hubert H Humphrey
HammerDown

No. 25 Posted on Jul 1, 2005 3:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
Its a useful tool even if you don't use it often.

Not really, and (again) here's why.

Let's say you use your "drum dial" and go for a setting of #70 or what ever silly number someone thinks a drum sounds good at. All the way around the drum several times you go for this magic number....and then you have it. Bravo you say, my drum is now in tune! Question is in tune with what???????

Problem is, from lug to lug the tone is still off, and it always will be. WHY...here (again) >because the torque at each lug and OR the tension of the head at each lug will NOT ALWAYS be the same in order too produce the (same) desired tone at each lug location.
So now you STILL have to tweak it in by ear/sound correct...?

So in the grand scheme of things, just take the little bit of time and patience and learn how to *properly* tune your drums by ear in the first place?
Cool concept...eh.

HammerDown edited on Jul 1, 2005 3:54 AM

Go to page 12345678 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 83 milliseconds