Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

New gear
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New gear
paul

paulmiller

No. 1 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 10:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nothing new here. I make regular visits to Guitar Center, and look at the ads on Craigslist and Ebay occasionally, but nothing piques my interest enough to buy.

I did get new heads for my toms recently, and am about due for a couple of snare drum batters, but that's about it.

There is a really beautiful set of LP Aspire congas/bongos in blue fade that I sort of covet, but don't play them well or often enough to justify a purchase.

This lack of interest in gear acquisition snuck up on me over time, and it feels pretty strange not to be in the market.

That said, I do need another Gibraltar quick release hihat clutch. Guess I'll head to GC for my weekly visit.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 5:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It must be great to live close enough to a good musical shop to pay a weekly visit. In fact, it would be good to have one nearer than 120 miles.

I bought a 3 octave Premier portable xylophone on Ebay last week, and I pick it up this weekend. It's in need of much restoration but the photographs leave me fairly confident it'll restore. If it doesn't, I'll have lost only 30 British pounds, which is what I paid.

I can't wait to have one of these. I am starting to play mallet percussion in one of my brass bands and am looking out for instruments that I can afford. Hence my having bought this old timer.

StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 6:20 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I did make weekly visits to the drum shop on my way to a weekly gig. The weekly gig fizzled out (that's a whole new thread) so I don't normally go by there except when I really need something.

Humm; I seem to have more money in my pocket than normal; wonder why???

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 4 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 9:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Been some time since I had anything new but my daughter is back in LA for a while so a snare batter and some brushes will be picked up for me. The best recent news was that my buddy who had loaned me a great 19" Bosphorus Turk flat ride for a while decided to let me keep and wanted nothing in return,

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Jul 31, 2014 10:13 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I got a Zildjian 21" Custom Dark Complex Ride back at the end of June on sale from Guitar Center and have played it at two performances, both of which, people from the audience said the ride had a beautiful jazz sound. I looked back at the recording and was very pleased with it as well. I love the decay and gong-like sound that comes from the ride. It goes really well with the clean sound my other Sabian ride.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Aug 1, 2014 9:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I wasn't trying to start a conversation about how often we go to a music store, or what the last piece of gear we bought was. Maybe I didn't state a clear enough question.

Is anyone else satisfied with the equipment you already have? Or am I the only one who isn't actively hunting for something?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 7 Posted on Aug 1, 2014 9:59 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
I wasn't trying to start a conversation about how often we go to a music store, or what the last piece of gear we bought was. Maybe I didn't state a clear enough question.

Is anyone else satisfied with the equipment you already have? Or am I the only one who isn't actively hunting for something?

My bad, I'm sorry. That was my misunderstanding.

I'm pretty satisfied. If there's a good sale, however, I still will look.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Dave

No. 8 Posted on Aug 1, 2014 10:24 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well Paul, I haven't purchased anything for about 20 years (aside from a couple of used cymbals that I couldn't pass up).

I don't really play for pay anymore, just a few jam sessions with friends.

But I've recently had my eye on a smaller, tighter kit to replace my big fat ugly Tamas. I'm hoping it will motivate me to play a little more.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

pwc

No. 9 Posted on Aug 1, 2014 9:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have all that I need or can use these days and so replacement of smaller things like heads, sticks or brushes is my only goal. It took me many years to get to this stage however - particularly with my cymbal array.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 10 Posted on Aug 2, 2014 4:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, I have been doing a little dreaming lately.

Iím thinking I need a new kit or is it that I think I want a new kit. LOL!! What I have is a nice late 80ís Ludwig Maple Classic 8 piece set which is not 100% maple. And Iíve wanted an all maple kit for some time. The 12Ē tom is all maple (added later) and I can tell the difference in quality of tone from the other drums. The color is not an exact match either; other people donít recognize it but I do. Plus I donít need an 8 piece kit. I only use a 3 to maybe 6 piece but 4 and 5 piece is normal. And trade-in of the old set would pay about half of the new one; so what am I doing here, making excuses? LOL!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 11 Posted on Aug 2, 2014 12:19 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've lost the itch to get new drum equipment. Not a bad thing, actually.

Last year I sold a bunch of drums, downsized and bought different stuff. I'm currently down to just 2 kits with various bass drums and snares I can plug in to suit whatever gig I'm playing. I check out drums and cymbals all the time, but I'm really happy with what I've got right now and don't have the itch to buy anything new / different. Whenever I see some bright, shiny drum set, I'm always reminded that my current kits are actually better (to my ears) than 99% of what I see for sale. My two kits are cobbled together through decades of buying and selling. The stuff I have remaining are all the "keepers", the stuff I could never bring myself to sell, and the stuff I use all the time.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 12 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 4:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I would like to get a couple new items to change-up how I set things up; but the need isn't really there. At least not at this time.

I'm leaning slightly more in favor of simply hanging it all up and give away the drums to family or sell them.

But I'm not all the way there yet.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 13 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 1:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am in the process of clearing out all of my unnecessary drums and cymbals to leave myself with what I need rather than what I like to have, or what I think might come in some day. I have had a hell of a lot of stuff standing idle. Now it is going. I will still be able to choose setups for small, medium or large venues.

In thinning out, I am leaving myself with good vintage drums - Remo Mastertouch and Premier-made Beverley. They aren't worth much, and I am getting rid of anything that is worth that bit more, to free up cash and to buy tuned percussion gear. As for cymbals, I am giving myself a bit of choice, but again getting rid of what I don't have immediate uses for. I am sticking to high-end Zildjian, Bosphorus and Masterwork cymbals.

Gear junkies aren't only found among drummers. For example, one of our band has two Sousaphones among his vast collection of brass instruments.

Singlestroker edited on Aug 7, 2014 4:47 AM

technique2012

No. 14 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 3:37 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I am sticking to high-end Zildjian, Bosphorus and Masterwork cymbals.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic from the original purpose of this thread, but I actually haven't heard of Masterwork cymbals before. How do they compare to the bigger name cymbal brands?

-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 15 Posted on Aug 7, 2014 1:29 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
... haven't heard of Masterwork cymbals before. How do they compare to the bigger name cymbal brands?

Masterwork Cymbals used to be marketed under the brand "Buzin". Now they are marketed as "Soultone" as the ink-stamped brand but with a Masterwork stamp in the metal. I understand that they might also have been sold as Masterwork as the ink-stamed brand, although I have never seen them. You might want to search for those brands on the web and read about them. You'll see that they cost considerably less than the high-end products of the big names. You will also read that some question their durability.

My experience is limited. I have a 22" heavy Buzin Inferno Series ride and a set of 13" Buzin Vintage Series hi hats, and have just sold a 22" Buzin Vintage Series crash-ride. All of these have playing qualities up there, IMHO, with the very best, and none has given me any problems whatsoever. I remember Mr Percussive, a forum member and impressive percussionist saying that he had never heard better cymbals.

The idea that these cymbals are unreliable may have taken hold (fairly or not, I really don't know), as the second-hand prices are very low. They are so low that I gave them a try and was prepared to take the risk. I'd buy them again.

paul

paulmiller

No. 16 Posted on Aug 8, 2014 8:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There is one new piece of gear I want to mention, the Gibraltar quick release hihat clutch. I got one several months ago for my gigging set, and this week bought a second one for the splash I mount on that hihat sometimes. Takes 5 seconds now to put a cymbal on the clutch or take it off, and I never have to worry about the nuts loosening and the cymbal falling off clutch in the middle of a song.

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 17 Posted on Aug 8, 2014 8:22 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Masterwork Cymbals used to be marketed under the brand "Buzin". Now they are marketed as "Soultone" as the ink-stamped brand but with a Masterwork stamp in the metal. I understand that they might also have been sold as Masterwork as the ink-stamed brand, although I have never seen them. You might want to search for those brands on the web and read about them. You'll see that they cost considerably less than the high-end products of the big names. You will also read that some question their durability.

My experience is limited. I have a 22" heavy Buzin Inferno Series ride and a set of 13" Buzin Vintage Series hi hats, and have just sold a 22" Buzin Vintage Series crash-ride. All of these have playing qualities up there, IMHO, with the very best, and none has given me any problems whatsoever. I remember Mr Percussive, a forum member and impressive percussionist saying that he had never heard better cymbals.

The idea that these cymbals are unreliable may have taken hold (fairly or not, I really don't know), as the second-hand prices are very low. They are so low that I gave them a try and was prepared to take the risk. I'd buy them again.

Alright thanks, that helps. I have seen the label "Soultone" on a cymbal before, so I think I've come across one or two. I'll keep what you said in mind next time I see a Masterwork.

-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 18 Posted on Aug 11, 2014 4:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I thought I was fairly settled, but since Christmas I've managed to acquire a snare; a cobbled set of Ludwig, Premier, and Sonor; a Sabian and a few Zildjians; an Alesis SamplePad; and two entry-level sets with stands and pedals that were given to me for free. Now, due to space, options, and school fees coming due, I'm all set with the big stuff.

Now I'm picking around more for small pieces that interest me, such as an uyot rattle and caxixi. I've found those to be tastefully complementary to the cajon a friend of mine built for me. It's fun to experiment and I like having the flexibility to try things outside the box.

The different sounds I'm getting now with different cymbals and noisemakers are making me become more aware of the need to break from some of the repetition of what I usually play, and the need to follow new sounds into rhythms that are new for me. It's humbling.

To respond to the question a bit more directly, I should say I am very happy with the equipment I already have, but at my stage as a musician I'm nowhere near settled on what instrument suits me best or allows me to suit musical needs best. If something that appears useful comes along at a good price, especially used, I'll give it some thought before pulling the trigger. For me, it all comes down to continuing to look for my voice.

HuskerFan edited on Aug 11, 2014 4:13 PM

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Andy

No. 19 Posted on Sep 2, 2014 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I bought a rusty old shotgun for a song. I cleaned it up real nice and painted it with flat black high-heat spray paint. The darned thing looks brand spanking new. It's more fun to restore an old junker than it is to buy a brand new one.

I've now been thinking about buying a new ride cymbal. I'm gravitating back to heavier "rock" rides and away from the washy ones. I listed a really nice snare drum on Ebay that I never use. It's priced about $50 too high, but I think it may sell. Hmmm...

paul

paulmiller

No. 20 Posted on Sep 3, 2014 9:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm a big advocate of pingier cymbals. I used an A Zildjian 21" Rock Ride quite happily for a good while before finding a 22" K Custom unlathed.

I like my main ride cymbal to be articulate, no matter what I'm playing. Use a washier cymbal as a secondary ride. Or a medium sizzle.

Just Add Sticks

paul

paulmiller

No. 21 Posted on Sep 3, 2014 9:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just reheaded all my toms with Aquarian Vintage heads, and couldn't be happier. It's almost like getting new drums. Nice change from the G2's. It's making me want to add a couple of toms.

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 22 Posted on Sep 4, 2014 6:31 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
On the subject of "pingy" cymbals I must say that I moved right away from them over time towards dryer rides or flat cymbals. I now have a very nice 20" Zildjian Constantinople medium that has all the volume I ever need and use that in combination with Bosphorus Turk series rides - one 20" standard and one 19" flat.
Each crashes well so often I don't use the 16" Bosphorus crash that fills out the set.
But then I play in small acoustic combos and my set up won't satisfy all players.

Andy

No. 23 Posted on Sep 6, 2014 5:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
I'm a big advocate of pingier cymbals. I used an A Zildjian 21" Rock Ride quite happily for a good while before finding a 22" K Custom unlathed.

I like my main ride cymbal to be articulate, no matter what I'm playing. Use a washier cymbal as a secondary ride. Or a medium sizzle.

It's funny you say that. I have the same cymbal: an old hollow logo 21" Zildjian Rock Ride that came with the second set I bought after just a few months of playing the drums. I've bought and sold many cymbals over the years, but this one alway seems to stay. Last night we had a marathon 4-hour band practice last night and I used my Rock Ride. It's a great cymbal.

Andy

No. 23 Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I played a gig last Saturday night using my Zildjian 21" rock ride. Man, what a beast! I love that cymbal and it's my favorite. It's an old hollow logo ride that came with my very first used kit back in the early 80's.

I just "fell off the wagon" last night. I ordered a used 22" Sabian AAX Metal Ride. I used to own the 20" version many years ago but sold it. I never owned any 22" cymbal and am starting to get interested in more pingy cymbals, so weakness overcame me and I pulled the trigger.

My 25 year anniversary is this weekend, so I guess I'm entitled. Actually, I don't like buying stuff for myself but have no problem getting things for my wife. I bought her a new car earlier this year, a new bike a few weeks ago and an old used tractor just today. Yeah... she's a farm girl and a gear head who has always wanted a tractor. Go figure.

paul

paulmiller

No. 24 Posted on Sep 19, 2014 2:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I sold mine a few years ago, and have regretted it ever since.

Just Add Sticks

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 67 milliseconds