Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Single Mic Set-up
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Single Mic Set-up
SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 1 Posted on Jul 29, 2014 7:49 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My guitarist called me over today to do some demo recordings for a song he wrote, and as we were setting up mic's (We had three available but only wanted to use one if possible) I noticed that when placed overhead, the bass was lost in the mix. I saw a nice little spot right over the bass that was an equal distance from all of my drums and seemed to pick up everything equally. (The picture below is a diagram of how it looks)
I was wondering if there were any other ways to get better quality recordings.
The link to the song we recorded titled "JUICE BOX" is below. Please note, this song is very silly and at the end there's some swearing, please take nothing except the recording quality of the drums seriously. Haha.

https://soundcloud.com/dannythed-1/juice-box

(Click the picture to view the original one)

SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 2 Posted on Jul 29, 2014 7:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Also disregard the actual mics in the picture I didn't see those, haha.

Dave

No. 3 Posted on Jul 29, 2014 8:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Get rid of your vocalist, ASAP.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 3:50 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I found I could listen to only a few seconds - it's not my kind of music.
With so much going on I am not sure that any mic placement would help Smile

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 5 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 10:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What Pete said.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 6 Posted on Jul 30, 2014 11:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah it's not really our style, we were just messing around with different placements and this seemed to work the best.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 7:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Maybe on a stand maintaining the same plane 3 - 4 inches out front of the Bass Reso head, with all other heights the same with the voicecoil pointed toward the player. No changes to the orientation apart from distance from where it is in this recording.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 20 milliseconds