Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

What type of drummer do you like?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster What type of drummer do you like?
akrause2004

No. 1 Posted on Jul 22, 2014 11:40 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have often wondered why I've always had so much more admiration for "band" drummers than "solo" drummers. Even when the solo guys technique is world class - for some reason I have a soft spot in my heart for drummers that get with other musicians and stay there for better or worse. In my opinion it takes more dedication to stick it out with a group of guys, learn to see past character flaws and personality differences and put aside the "B.S" and get albums & tours done. I feel dedication in this regard can legitimately be added to the list of what makes a "good" drummer. Sure, even my all time favs like Bonzo & Neil Peart couldn't hold a candle to the blistering speed and technique of some of today's Olympic Gold Medalist drummers like Thomas Lang, Mike Mangini, Dennis Chambers, Tony Royster Jr. but it doesn't matter to me. My guys will always be better to me because of being part of a family. Even average drummers like Joey Kramer or below average drummers like Charlie Watt & Ringo Starr (yes I did) are cooler than the guys who just want to show off independently in my opinion. Please comment !!
(Also, ...help me think of some other freelance freaks - I'm drawing a blank)

akrause2004 edited on Jul 22, 2014 11:51 AM

Dave

No. 2 Posted on Jul 22, 2014 5:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You're comparing apples to oranges here in most cases.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

pwc

No. 3 Posted on Jul 22, 2014 7:55 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Saw this recently which seems appropriate here ....

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Jul 23, 2014 8:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have a problem with the phrase "the guys who just want to show off independently," especially the inference that those guys just want to show off. Have you ever been to a Terry Bozzio show? What he does is perform pieces written specifically for his drumset that would be hard to do with a band and that wouldn't sell out an arena.

Also, some drummers, like Bozzio and Weckl, are in great demand. Should we think less of them because you perceive them as fickle? The best times of my own musical life come when I get to play in multiple settings, and the challenges presented by the different requirements I feel only serve to make my overall playing better.

One could also make the argument that a guy who never leaves his regular band to try something different is lazy or afraid of new challenges. This is obviously not true in all cases, Charlie Watts being a fair example with his jazz group on the side.

What do I like in a drummer? Crisp, articulate playing on well tuned drums that fits the music being performed. The aforementioned Tony Williams exemplified this to me, as do others.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Jul 23, 2014 10:44 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
...that fits the music...

In one word, I would say "groove."

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 6 Posted on Jul 23, 2014 1:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like drummers that play in time with feel

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Dave

No. 7 Posted on Jul 23, 2014 9:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^like^

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 8 Posted on Jul 26, 2014 1:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Carmine Appice recently commented on some of the post-Bozzio technical drummers as being "scientists" - Despite their evolved technical ability, their overall feel comes off a bit "clinical". I think Carmine is implying these guys don't truly gel great with a band because they have spent way more time practicing by themselves that they have in a band setting. Is Carmine right or is he a bit jealous that these guys are stealing his thunder? Maybe a bit of both.

I would not remotely label Weckl or Bozzio as clinical
"scientists" - they are musical and gifted and thats that.

In my opinion, if a professional drummer practices way more than interacts with other musicians because his main goal is to be the "fastest gun in the west" he is kind of missing the point isn't he? At the same time, how could we criticize a talented hard-working drummer who wants to push the boundaries of what hasn't been achevied before (assuming it is musical).

That being said, for me, its all about emotional response. The 1st time I seen Bonzo on the Song Remains the Same, he gave me a huge positive emotional response. Not just cuz of his drum sound, or just cuz of his kick-ass chops or just cuz his monumental groove or his cool use of space or his seeming ability to improvise stuff that just flowed out of him that was always fitting - - but all those things combined. - - That guy.

Zenquest

No. 9 Posted on Jul 28, 2014 5:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
@ PaulMiller......"I have a problem with the phrase "the guys who just want to show off independently,"
Ok, ...I can respect that. Not my best choice of words - allow me to rephrase.
I guess I kind of look at bands as a marriage and whether fairly or unfairly, categorize soloists as guys who have trouble committing to one women. Yes, I've seen Terry Bozio live way back with Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughn during the In Step tour but he obviously wasn't doing the drum & percussion based tunes you're speaking of. I've also seen him in lots of You Tube footage and sitting in with Dweezil Zappa who by the way plays with one of my favorite solo drummers - Joe Travers but I digress.
If I came off as sounding like I have some sort of contempt for independent or freelance drummers please allow me to dispel that right now. I was interested in a dialog about the differences between the two creatures and how people perceive them.
Any friend of rhythm is a friend of mine. :0)

pwc

No. 10 Posted on Jul 28, 2014 9:30 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Perhaps, just perhaps, there is distinction between a drummer's drummer and what is an "other band members'" drummer. While there are many drummers who strive to be both and achieve that, most drummers tend to admire another drummer's chops while most other band members I know admire drummers who are in the "pocket" and stay there with a minimum of chops display.

To these other band members setting a groove is understood to be "chops" in their terms with the rest being peripheral. That's a generalization, maybe, but it has been my experience that solid groove setting drummers get the gigs while the flashier ones don't.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 11 Posted on Jul 28, 2014 5:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
To these other band members setting a groove is understood to be "chops" in their terms with the rest being peripheral. That's a generalization, maybe, but it has been my experience that solid groove setting drummers get the gigs while the flashier ones don't.

That's what I always hear. I've seen from others that often the highest paying gigs are often the more simple hip-hop gigs or wedding gigs where you just set the groove and keep people dancing. I'm generalizing as well, but it's also my understanding that you also often hear more about drummers being called back after auditions for their groove and pocket, rather than flying around the kit.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 27 milliseconds