Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Belt Drive V. Chain Drive V. Direct Drive Pedals
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Belt Drive V. Chain Drive V. Direct Drive Pedals
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Jul 17, 2014 1:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So I recently got a Yamaha Direct Drive Bass Drum Pedal on sale and I tried it out during my practice in comparison to my beloved Iron Cobra chain drive. The result was the Direct Drive having a much faster response compared to the Iron Cobra (as expected). I'm predominantly a heel-down player though I will still frequently switch to heel-up. I've tried belt drive pedals in stores as well, also favoring it over chain, but chain had always been the cheaper yet still quality option so I always used chain drive in my playing up until now. Originally I had a DW pedal as my travel pedal, but I'm thinking that the Yamaha Direct Drive will become my travel pedal for performances and such. What do you guys prefer in terms of belt drive vs. chain drive vs. direct drive? What are your opinions and experiences of them?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Jul 17, 2014 2:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like chain the best, but I am picky with pedals... well everything.

This is my pedal, had it custom done (back when dw still did that). It'll be a sad day if I ever retire this pedal, never seen another like it. It is very heavy and moves exactly with your foot.

(Click the picture to view the original one)

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 3 Posted on Jul 20, 2014 1:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've compared direct drive and chain drive. Despite my initial impression that the action of the chain drive was a bit slower, I personally could not determine a noticeable difference in overall playability between the two. That being said I did chose direct drive.

Hey Rev, in your picture, the beater angle looks less than 45 degrees, although that could just be an optical illusion because of the angle the picture was taken.

What is the angle of your beater?

Zenquest

Reverend

No. 4 Posted on Jul 20, 2014 3:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've not measured the angle to be honest. It likely is about 45 degrees. When I first got his pedal it took months to get the weights, springs, beater height and angle and beater counter weight correct though. It is a very different feeling pedal to any other I've ever used.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 8:37 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have been without my coveted Direct Drives for years.

I have a Mapex kit with Mapex hardware; and among those nice pieces is my Mapex single footpedal - a copy of the DW5000.

Thus far, I'm not a big fan of Double- or Single-chain singles. Not that they're bad ... they aren't. I'm just hardwired toward the comfortable Direct Drive pedals I haven't had for decades.

It's just silly; but there you have it : an unsolicited confession.
The Confessions of a Worn-Out Direct Drive Pedal Player.
( The book will be out in time for Christmas sales Clown ).

But I don't play enough to justify me simply plopping for a Direct Drive pedal. My Double-Chain Mapex is serviceable. I keep tottering between a Double-Pedal and a Single so much so that I've frozen in time halted between the two choices and, embarrassingly, have done nothing.

To me, Direct Drives have usually been quick and smooth; and in the back of my mind I've equated that build style with giving me the feeling of being more 'accurate' (whether or not they actually enable greater accuracy for playing my Kick). This is my perception. And the period of time I think I was playing at my best was during the time I owned a Double-Bass Kit with DD pedals.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
zlambiase

No. 6 Posted on Oct 4, 2014 9:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
DW came out with a new direct drive pedal and it looks insane! I really want to get it, but since its brand new its still crazy expensive. If you don't believe me, check this out!!Cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfN0Kk-D6hA

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds