Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Favorite fill?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Favorite fill?
SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 1 Posted on Jul 10, 2014 12:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Does anyone have a favorite fill, whether it's your own or someone else? I'm curious to what other fills there are.

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I mostly used triplet based fills - lrrlrrlrrlrr etc around the kit

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I got hooked on six stroke rolls both in sixteenth note and triplet form close to a year into when I first started drumming. These days, at least when I practice, I have fun with more linear drum fills like KRLKLR etc. or KRRLLKRLRL etc. The groups of five with KRLRL I'm still experimenting with, but the applications are pretty fun.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Iím a fairly simple drummer and donít too many fills and play mostly country style music. One of my favorites is a simple stroke bounce like a buzz roll but in a 16th note format with accent on each down beat; right hand lead. I call it a train beat.

We play a country song called Truck Driven Man I use the rhythm off and on during the song with right hand on closed Hi-hat and left hand on snare, we play it fairly fast like a driving beat. Each of the musicians will take a break then when itís my turn I continue with the same beat but mix it up throughout the kit. When I get to the floor tom Iíll break it up with a little big band jazz type riff and return to the train beat then the band comes back in with the rest of the song.

Example - rrllrrllrrllrrll

We have a lot of fun with that one, the crowd loves it and itís easy to play.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:19 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Iím not sure that I could ever have a favourite fill, since there are so many that I find so effective when used in appropriate situations. Fairly simple fills can be outstanding where they suit the situation.

Consider, if you will, this example of the Bee Geesí Islands In The Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvR_7mJtMk

All of the fills are extremely well executed and are so effective as to be beautiful (IMHO). Yet, they are pretty simple for an intermediate drummer or better.

The triplet fills mentioned by pwc remind me that I really do like the effects that double-stroke triplets can produce around the kit, or even just on the snare. Here are a few examples:

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Singlestroker edited on Jul 11, 2014 3:35 PM

ayanhosting

No. 6 Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
That is something very appreciable from your side. How you have done that. Can you tell me in details will help me to learn more about it.

technique2012

No. 7 Posted on Jul 12, 2014 2:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Gosh, I feel so crass, seeing how everyone likes to keep it simple and I'm talking about all the linear stuff and rolls. Lately, I've been thinking that I need to take that step back and look at all the more tasteful and musical fills out there besides all the fast and technical fills I've been trying to learn. How did you guys first start developing your fills in your prior years of drumming?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 8 Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ethan, I personally spent the last decade or so to "clean up" my playing to focus on groove alone and minimize all else and in that process simplified and reduced my fills. It was not easy to get to the current disciplined stage as nothing is harder than keeping it simple and just keeping in the pocket for the front players. It may not look or sound much to other drummers but other musicians seem to like it a lot when they have a very solid and non-interfering drummer who keeps time and supports them well. Fills should not be thought about but just felt and played when appropriate but getting familiar with sticking patterns is always good so by all means practice those.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on Jul 13, 2014 1:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't get what ayanhosting is asking. Perhaps s/he wants to know how to get a piece of handwritten music into a post on the forum. If so, it is a matter of taking a photograph on a digital camera and importing the resulting JPEG file. Instructions on how to import are included at the bottom when you open a New Post window.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 10 Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I don't get what ayanhosting is asking. Perhaps s/he wants to know how to get a piece of handwritten music into a post on the forum. If so, it is a matter of taking a photograph on a digital camera and importing the resulting JPEG file. Instructions on how to import are included at the bottom when you open a New Post window.

I thought more likely a spammer that didn't set the footer correctly with their advertisement.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 11 Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
... more likely a spammer...

You're probably right, and it did cross my mind. Still, I thought it better to give an answer in case s/he wasn't just taking the rise.

technique2012

No. 12 Posted on Jul 14, 2014 7:54 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Ethan, I personally spent the last decade or so to "clean up" my playing to focus on groove alone and minimize all else and in that process simplified and reduced my fills. It was not easy to get to the current disciplined stage as nothing is harder than keeping it simple and just keeping in the pocket for the front players. It may not look or sound much to other drummers but other musicians seem to like it a lot when they have a very solid and non-interfering drummer who keeps time and supports them well. Fills should not be thought about but just felt and played when appropriate but getting familiar with sticking patterns is always good so by all means practice those.

Thank you. That helps a lot and I'll keep it in mind as I move through drumming in my life.

-Charles Mingus
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 13 Posted on Jul 28, 2014 7:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes, what Pete said. And sometimes less is more.

And...it varies with every sort of song. On "Time of the Season" it's a cymbal ping or two into a short roll on the hat into the toms and carry on.

Other times it's strictly toms or incorporate the snare....others can be purely snare...so I would have a very tough time picking a favorite.

I like 'em all Big Smile

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
yowogomo

Location: mini-series that is obtained, Tabatha he is apparently yet another common.
No. 14 Posted on Aug 2, 2014 5:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't have one Smile

brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 15 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 1:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One of my favorite: Bonzo - D'yer Maker (off Houses of the Holy)coming out of the guitar solo.

Zenquest

Mapex

No. 16 Posted on Aug 5, 2014 7:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Simplicity. { Hmmm ... Never heard of it Clown }

Have been listening to some early 1960's Pop for a personal project.

This Andy Williams tune ( Can't Get Used To Losing You - 1963 ) was a hit when I was a much younger guy; but the reason for mentioning this song is the 'fill' of just two quick strokes. Just an accent, really.

You'll hear the drummer Rim Clicks the Snare with the Stick and complements with the Brush. The fill is accomplished with the Brush.

Those two strokes are the most that ought to be heard. More? Doesn't work.

It's stark; yet it's perfect. At no point does he interfere with the instruments nor yet the vocals.

Andy Williams' voice is Double-Tracked and that's the most 'love' this song gets. Everything is understated.

People might think of this as elevator music; but I bring it up because of it hitting that particular mark.

The vehicle of the song, in my opinion, is not simply Andy Williams; but Andy Williams Double-Tracked with basic vocal harmony over a very quiet musical track of the simplest variety.

That's my case - two strokes very much 'underneath'.

OldFart edited on Aug 5, 2014 7:12 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 50 milliseconds