Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Changes in Buddy's playing
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Changes in Buddy's playing
Singlestroker

No. 1 Posted on Jul 7, 2014 2:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here is Buddy playing La Carioca in about 1939:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PvnHya_iXw

Here he is with it again in 1982:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j240g-3x7ZM

I know it is obvious, but Buddy’s playing changed a great deal over those years. Equally obviously, he was playing under someone else's leadership in 1939, but in his own band in 1982. There would be other factors that changed his playing, including that, unsurprisingly, the state of the art changed over the forty-odd years in between. However, the differences between these two recordings of essentially the same arrangement of the tune got me thinking about a few questions, such as:

How much of the change in the art of drumkit playing did Buddy bring about himself? Did he have the skills in 1939 to play how he did in 1982, assuming the ideas to have been around then? How does any of this sit with that claim of Buddys, that he never practised? Anyway, how credible is such a claim? Could anyone ever develop skills such as his without practising? Therefore, what did he really mean when he said he never practised?

Singlestroker edited on Jul 7, 2014 12:03 PM

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Jul 7, 2014 9:50 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I would imagine that Buddy Rich had the skills from a, very, very early age and sublimated until he was in a position to star in his own right. I actually saw him "practice" against a wall mirror of his dressing room many years ago in a Bangkok night club but whatever he said about practice per se there is no way he didn't rehearse with the bands he played in - or led - over the years.

Yes, music style changed but seeing a video or two of him even in his later years playing extremely tasteful brushes indicates that he had discipline as well as sheer magical hands and fingers and that came from decades on stage in a variety of settings and combinations. He seemed to know intuitively when to lead and when to just swing, swing and then swing some more behind others.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Jul 7, 2014 3:27 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
They’re interesting thoughts, Peter.

Not having such natural ability myself, I find it difficult to imagine it in others. On the other hand, as there are prodigies in other fields, surely there is no reason they shouldn’t be there among drummers. If Buddy was an Einstein or Dimaggio of music then, perhaps he could learn a combination in a few minutes that most of us would have to slog at for days, if we ever learned it at all. Perhaps what he meant when he said he didn’t practise was that he didn’t have to sit behind a practice kit at home over a few days to get a new sequence down. Perhaps he just got it more or less there and then in the bandroom, almost whatever it was.

However he did it, it was phenomenal and anyone that tackles any of the pieces he made his own has got one hell of a task. I remember recently going to a concert where they did Love For Sale. I felt for the drummer as he didn’t even try to do a solo. He couldn't win. If they're going to do it Big Band-style, it is so associated with Buddy that it needs a drum solo, but if a solo is played, it's got to be up to Buddy's mark, which it can't be.

I know what you mean about Buddy and brushes. How High The Moon, with Hampton and Tatum, and Brush Strokes, from 1982 at The Hague, are two that I come back to time after time.

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
but whatever he said about practice per se there is no way he didn't rehearse with the bands he played in - or led - over the years.

Yes and I believe I heard him say they rehearse everyday in one of the interviews on You Tube.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 15 milliseconds