Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Why didn't I think of that?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Why didn't I think of that?
Singlestroker

No. 1 Posted on Jun 22, 2014 3:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently played a gig and accidentally found myself playing with a nylon-tipped stick in one hand and a wood-tipped one in the other. Now I've realised that it's a great, quick way to vary the sound on cymbals, cowbells, etc.

I can't think why I never actually thought of doing this. I imagine that plenty of drummers must do it, but I've never before heard of it. I now see that Ben White, the fine player that demonstrates cymbals on mycymbal.com, does it all the time.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Jun 23, 2014 1:01 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Not something I normally do either, 99% of my playing is with 5B nylon tip sticks, but when I did musical theatre stuff I used a variety of sticks and combinations. Experimenting can be fun and somethings definitely call for it, but a creature of habit I always wind up back at the same place!

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Jun 23, 2014 2:19 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice to see you back RvJim. Welcome to the old country! Are you anywhere near Lincolnshire?

RvJim

Reverend

No. 4 Posted on Jun 24, 2014 1:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
No idea! I am in Essex near Southend

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Jun 24, 2014 1:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
... near Southend

You're about 150 miles from me then, so perhaps a bit far to pop over for a drink. That's a shame.

As you may already know, the UK has a great diversity of accents, despite the loss and dilution of many of them through increased mobility over the last fifty years. You'll still hear some broad ones down there!

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds