Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Snare drum overtones, rings
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Snare drum overtones, rings
Kinder

No. 1 Posted on Jun 5, 2014 5:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello everyone, im kinda new here.
So i bought a Remo BLack Suede Black X snare drum skin, cause my old "default" skin was horrible and was giving tons of rings and overtones. After i changed it i was expecting a nice damped sound form it. But i got really small diferences. I already tried folding a little square of tape and taping it on the side of the snare drum and got no different at all. The best sound i can get is putting cloth on top of it, but that takes off alot of the bounce i need. I also tried tunning it and i don't know if i actually tunned it right cause im kinda new to this whole thing. Even tho i know the overtone/ring will be good tomorow in the concert in an open space with the guitars and everything, the musics we are gonna play have alot of "me" time, where i basicly use ALOT of the snare, i mean alot. And i need a really good sounding snare. I need to fix it as fast as possible, i already tried alot of things and non worked. I have no money to buy moongel or any other type of equipment. I still have my old, basicly full plastic skin, but i dont know how to cut it to make a ring, and if all the things i tried didnt work, i dont know if im gonna get a whole better sound with just the ring.
Snare: 14"x 5 1/2" Metal Snare Drum

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Jun 5, 2014 2:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you're new to drums, then I suggest taking some time to get used to what drums do and to find out what you really want. You might come to regard snare-drum ring as desirable. I certainly came to think that. Nowadays, if I don't hear it ring I know that I am choking the head by having the stick in contact with it for too long. This applies less to tomtoms, which I do like to ring somewhat less - but not to be completely lacking ring.

pwc

No. 3 Posted on Jun 5, 2014 4:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Try to find a snare tuning video on YouTube, There are many. You will find that tuning both drum heads properly will eliminate many overtones and what remain and are likely those that most snare drums have to some degree. Metal snares like yours will have more than wood snares but some muffling via a bit of tape should reduce those significantly if the basic tuning is right. But all of us go through a long learning curve when it comes to tuning so there is not any quick fix. Experimentation is the way to go.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Jun 6, 2014 2:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You'll find the following said several times elsewhere on this forum, but it's worth repeating:

Why not have someone else sit and play your drums while you listen from various distances? It is likely to sound very different from when you are sitting right in the middle of the kit.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Jun 6, 2014 10:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's true - metal snare drums do tend to have a more pronounced ring. Unfortunately, that's part of their territory. Drummers get a more 'Open' sound with a metal shell than what's typically found in a wooden shell snare drum.

The advice to explore Snare Drum tuning tutorials on YouTube is wise counsel.

I'd say to look at three or four different people's Hints and Tips videos on the topic to get really well grounded in the technique.

Getting comfortable with a proper understanding of drum tuning will help you far more than any other single learning experience.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
pwc

No. 6 Posted on Jun 7, 2014 6:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It would be nice if people who asked for advice, once they got some, responded with some remarks of thanks or whether the advice helped etc.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Jun 8, 2014 11:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
It would be nice if people who asked for advice, once they got some, responded with some remarks of thanks or whether the advice helped etc.

I agree with you completely, Peter. What is so surprising is just how often threads such as this one end with silence from the seeker of help.

Kinder

No. 8 Posted on Jun 9, 2014 2:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not home atm but i will try every suggestion. I haven't come here cause i had too much to do and had no time to try and enhance the snare sound.

Kinder

No. 9 Posted on Jun 10, 2014 2:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well about the muffling with tape, i already tried it and it didnt do much effect. I keep starting over with the tuning but it always leads to the same but ill keep doing it. Its cause i try to put the bottom snare 1 tone higher than the head but i cant turn it anymore... therefore i start again

Kinder

No. 10 Posted on Jun 10, 2014 3:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ok, so i tune it up, loosen some of the batter tension, think i tuned the bottom and top head right im not 100% sure. Then i cut my old head into a ring, let me tell you, it did the job. Thank you for all fo your help. It still has some ring in it, but ill find a way to get rid of it. Used all of the advices and made it perfect Thank you.

Kinder edited on Jun 10, 2014 3:45 AM

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds