Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Drumheads for 70's Rock Sound
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Drumheads for 70's Rock Sound
Polyphenia

No. 1 Posted on May 4, 2014 11:03 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Folks,

I am just getting back into kit drumming after a 10 year break.

I have a 6pc Tama Superstar Hypderdrive kit with sizes 22x18 bass drum, 10x6.5, 12x7 mounted toms, 14x12, 16x14 floor toms and 14x5.5 snare drum.

What batter and resonator skins would be best for a 70's rock in a pub/hall environment without using microphones.

Cheers.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on May 4, 2014 12:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Greetings and welcome -

My guess is that, unmic'd, you'd likely want the full spectrum of resonance available from your drums.

Many opinions will percolate round this question.

Yet I'd say the best combination for most venues you'd play - and for rehearsal - would be Coated Ambassador or Coated Emperor Batters coupled with Clear or Coated Ambassadors as Resonator heads.

Coated Ambassador for Resonator coupled with Coated Ambassador (single-ply) Batter heads tend to lean a bit more toward 1960's Pop/Rock, Folk and Folk-Rock sound. However, that's still workable (I currently have that on my kit).

You won't perfectly match the sound heard on recordings through your live kit in any of the venues mentioned, yet you'll get pretty darned close.

Generally, the 'Up Toms' will project more, so you might even consider Coated Emperors as Batters on those drums (if cash is no problem, purchase and test the idea), while using Coated Ambassadors as Batters on the 'Down Toms'. This would provide a little more balance to the projection. { A particular noticeable deficiency with Floor Toms, where projection is somewhat obstructed by the Bass and Up Toms }. I tried this for a while.

I tend to think that Pinstripes would also be reasonably good, but do favor the combinations noted above.

From where you sit behind the kit, a few various models of drum heads might sound good to you, but their characteristics given the venues and the unmic'd nature of playing could (and I think 'likely') sound muddy from the audience side of the equation.

Overall, however, you'll feel better playing what you like. These are just my experiences applied to your question.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Polyphenia

No. 3 Posted on May 5, 2014 10:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your informative reply. I like the idea of coated over clear.

where you mention a combination of Coated Emperors as Batters on the small toms and Coated Ambassadors as Batters on the 'Down Toms'. What resonators would you use?

Have you any thoughts on the bass and snare?

Thnx for your help.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on May 5, 2014 6:34 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Polyphenia wrote:
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your informative reply. I like the idea of coated over clear.

where you mention a combination of Coated Emperors as Batters on the small toms and Coated Ambassadors as Batters on the 'Down Toms'. What resonators would you use?

Have you any thoughts on the bass and snare?

Thnx for your help.

Glad to be of service Smile

When I was using the combined Batters, Clear Ambassadors were used as Resonators on all Toms.

I'll add also that to attempt to address drum sounds that might carry over and upset my neighbors, I gave Coated PowerStroke4 heads a Go on the Down Toms, more or less as limiters. ( I have suspended Toms in the typical fashion - two on a stand ). I was surprised at the fact that, in the near field, they sounded pretty resonant. I continued to use Clear Ambassadors as Reso heads with that experiment. Beyond your drum Throne I think the sound of the PS4 vaporizes.

As for Snare drum, I've tried Clear and Coated Controlled Sound and Coated Ambassador. I'm biased toward an Open tuning on the Snare; and the Controlled Sound for a Batter takes just a bit too much away for my taste. I'm a die-hard Coated Ambassador player.

Bass Drum Batter: I had a Coated PowerSonic, which I really liked (I used it without the Falam patch, and without the weighted snap-on muffler). I also used a Clear PowerStroke4. I liked that sound, too. I've also used a Clear PowerStroke3. Bass Drum Reso : I relied on an Ebony PowerStroke3 Reso for awhile; and have had an Ebony Ambassador, with a Mic port (forgotten : 4" or 5" port diameter (Sorry) ).

I also tried another brand Batter : Attack Clear 'Double-ply Medium', which had a surprisingly nice sound to it.

Each of these will yield something different for everyone, since Pedal Beater material varies so, as well as the force with which one plays.

Hope some of this is at least somewhat helpful.

OldFart edited on May 5, 2014 6:45 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Polyphenia

No. 5 Posted on May 5, 2014 11:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Terry,

Thanks for all the advice, that's great.

Time to go and replace the Tama heads with something decent!

Cheers!

Andy

No. 6 Posted on May 14, 2014 2:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Great advice. I'll just add a couple pointers:

Generally, you want your batters to be slightly thicker than your resonants. The "classic" head combination for toms is Coated Ambassador batters and Clear Ambassdor resonants. Similar combinations from other manufacturers are just as good (Evans, Aquarian, etc...) Snares also work well with an Ambassdor Coated but you'll want a Clear Diplomat (or similar) for the reso side.

Tune your bass and tom heads with tighter resonant heads and slightly looser batter heads. There are so many good kick drum heads out there. I'm less fuss with the resonant head and just go with whatever is on the drum. The batter head is personal preference. I like Evans Emad, but others are pretty good as well. You want to avoid packing too much laundry in the bass drum if you can.

Always use an Evans or Remo patch on your kick drum batter head. Otherwise, you'll be forking out $40 every 6 months or so.

Polyphenia

No. 7 Posted on May 15, 2014 11:10 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Andy for your advice. The snare setup sounds interesting and I'll take on board the advice about the patch on the bass batter.

Andy

No. 8 Posted on May 16, 2014 11:40 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Glad to here that. If you forget everything I tell you just remember to use a patch on your bass drum. You'll thank me later. Best of luck.

StillKicken

No. 9 Posted on May 17, 2014 8:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I agree with all of the above. I have a slightly different perspective of thought on this subject only because I normally play in small restaurants where volume control is a problem.

For the last almost 10 years I have been using Fiberskyn3 on toms and bass drum (PS3ís) but donít really care for it on snare. They give a more mellow and musical tone which Iím really fond of. I also experimented with using them on both sides of the drum. Nice musical sound and a great volume controller without using Moon Jell. (LOL) The only down side is large dance halls when not using microphones.

Within the last two weeks I changed to Coated Ambassadors on both sides; not sure what I will do on the 18Ē bass drum at this time, I do know it will be a PS3 of some type. I do use a mic in dance halls on the bass. Itís tuned for nice punch and some tone, only muffled with a small hand towel.

Iíve only played two gigs with the new heads and in between songs a lot of retuning plus high humidity in the air, they sound great with matching heads on both sides. Iím also finding out that moon jell will be a must in small venues.

Using the 14Ē tom you may want to experiment with using Coated Ambassador on both sides and if you donít like it you will have an extra head for future use probably on the snare.

Enjoy your return to drumming!

Sherm

BTW: Before converting my 18Ē floor tom to bass the use of a Coated Emperor with Clear Ludwig Rocker as a reso head had an amazing round robust sound.

StillKicken edited on May 17, 2014 7:54 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Polyphenia

No. 10 Posted on May 18, 2014 3:58 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Sherm, that has given me loads to consider.

We are in the rehearsal stage at the moment and will probably start gigging in a few mpnths, so there is plenty of time.

Replacing all the skins at once will be an outlay, so want to get a good setup but I realise it's down to trial and error.

My local drum store recommended coated emperors over clear ambassadors with a coated ps3 for the snare batter (not sure about that?).

cheers

StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on May 20, 2014 3:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PS3 on snare would not work for me but them I'm not a hard hitter and I play mostly Country.

For rock music a PS3 my be worth a try I don't know. I would think something with a dot may be better. Hopefully someone here on the forum with more experience will be able to help.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
kudoco

Adrian

No. 12 Posted on Jun 2, 2014 6:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PS3 is just an ambassador with a dampening ring (I think). Anyhow, you could use and ambassador and dampen to your needs/taste with moongel or dampening ring.

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
Pearl57

No. 13 Posted on Jun 12, 2014 4:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
As mentioned before, Classic Rock 70's sound would also include Pinstripes for toms..Even for the bass drum...Ambi for the snare..
Pins can also be used for the resonant side for the "thuddy" sound of 70's drums.

Polyphenia

No. 14 Posted on Jun 12, 2014 11:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Pearl57, I like the idea of pins, a friend has said they are not very durableStupid but I don't know. I never thought of using them on the resonator side. Do you think they would still have enough poke without microphones?
What resonator would you suggest to go woth the ambi on the snare?
Many Thanks.

Pearl57

No. 15 Posted on Jun 13, 2014 5:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Polyphenia wrote:
Thanks Pearl57, I like the idea of pins, a friend has said they are not very durableStupid but I don't know. I never thought of using them on the resonator side. Do you think they would still have enough poke without microphones?
What resonator would you suggest to go woth the ambi on the snare?
Many Thanks.

not sure why your friend would say they are not durable. I have seen guys keep pinstripes on their drums for years, as in 4 to 5 years and they kept working. .Granted they sounded flat but they last..
In so far as a resonant head, any head will work but will affect tone...It was not uncommon in the 70's to have the same head on both top and bottom. Idid it with a variety of heads..Pins , black dots, Silver dots, Ambi, emperors, etc...Even Evans Hydralics and the old kevlar heads...

Here's a link to me using Pinstrips in a club unmiced and they hang right in with a Marshall Stack and I believe its and Ampeg 8 10 bass rig..
No problems cutting thru the wall of sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9t_idYkDc

For resonant head for snare, any ambi weight reso head will work..

Polyphenia

No. 16 Posted on Jun 14, 2014 12:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Pearl57, liked the clip , the pins cut through nicely 😄 .

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 41 milliseconds