Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Re:idrum tech tuning
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster idrum tech tuning
Zeefour

No. 1 Posted on Mar 3, 2014 6:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently had to clean my drum kit from dust and bits of stick and when I clean my kit I tend to detune all heads and strip the kit down.

Upon retuning my drum heads using the idrumtech app, I always opt for maximum resonance from the toms. However I notice that although it sounds really good with protection ear buds*, I tend to find the bedroom I practice in, the toms sound a little bit rubbery and not as smooth as when my ear buds are in.

I know that room shapes can determine a great drum sound but generally i dont take my toms out to practice or gigs simply because of space in the transport department. Now that I have retuned my heads I would like to hear them against the rest of the band, however if I find them to be a little too much Id like to be able to retune them to a more "live friendly" tone. Any ideas?

Here are my drums and their respective frequency

12 x 10 Tom
Batter - Remo Black Suede Emperor (146.8Hz)
Reso - Remo Black Suede Ambassador (146.8Hz)
6 Lugs

13 x 11 Tom
Batter - Remo Black Suede Emperor (123.5Hz)
Reso - Remo Black Suede Ambassador (123.5Hz)
6 Lugs

The shells are basswood.

*When the ear buds are in, the volume of the drum kit is reduced and therefore sounds cleaner, I dont hear any room reflection or any unwanted overtones or excess resonance from bare walls and such. The ear buds clean up the overall sound, it almost replicates a mic'd up sound.

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Mar 3, 2014 7:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think I would more concerned with the cause of "bits of stick" than with any fine tuning of a kit in a bedroom......

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Zeefour

No. 3 Posted on Mar 4, 2014 2:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, what I mean by "Bits of stick" is actually from my old Thunder-rods which are quite old now and I used them for practice on the silencer pads, simply because they produced less drum noise like "booming" and cymbal crash compared to regular sticks. There were a lot of little shavings here and there.

Back to topic, I'm simply looking for a different tuning set up that allows for a better "live" sound, the reason I use idrumtech is simply because my ear for tuning isn't so great and after about 15 minutes my ears get tired I can't actually tell the differences in pitch unless completely off.

I can experiment in the mean time but hopefully a more experienced user than I can help out Big Smile

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Mar 16, 2014 5:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use iDrun tech for tuning I also use Tune Bot. For now I'm tuning both heads to the same note/tone for maximum resonance because I use Fiberskyn on both sides for lower volumes. I don't use any ear devices and haven't noticed a rubber like sound.

You may want to try a slightly higher tone; it may brighten it up a little. I'm thinking a higher tone may cut a slight bit of resonance that may be enough to cut the rubber sound.

As a starting point from the Tune Bot calculator for my 14, 12 and 10 toms they recommend F, A, C starting from the 2nd octave. Check their web site calculator for your drum sizes and see what they may recommend.

Another thought is to hang a blanket on one of the walls. It want help much for volume but it will help to cleanup the sound in the room.

Just a thought,
sherm

StillKicken edited on Mar 16, 2014 5:45 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds