Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Lesson learned
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Lesson learned
paul

paulmiller

No. 1 Posted on Feb 24, 2014 10:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I took my 12/13/15/16/22 set to a benefit gig yesterday, thinking that I really had them tuned up nicely and ready to play. We had a run through with the guest artist before events started, but with no playing.

The first band that played was a latin sextet whose drummer had asked to use my drums. I reluctantly agreed, but was happy I had. My kit did NOT sound like I thought. The bass drum that I thought had so much presence was just dead, and the toms were much lower than I thought, and also lacking in tone.

I could hardly wait for that band to finish, and while the next band, a high school jazz band that wasn't using my kit, was setting up I quickly cranked both bass drum heads about half a turn, and tom resonants also got a quick tighten. The difference was immediately noticeable, and the drums sounded a LOT better. Having the tom resos pitched higher than the batters also reduced ring somewhat without killing tone.

I've known for a long time that the drums almost always sound lower in pitch from out front than they do behind the kit, but it's useful to be reminded periodically.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Feb 24, 2014 1:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't normally have the chance for another to play my kit but I always check the toms at least from the front of the kit standing back as far as my arms will allow. And it does indeed always seem that the reso head adjustment is the way to go rather than the batter. I also found that reso head adjustment of my one rack tom will do a better job of snare buzz reduction than the batter adjustment.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 3 Posted on Feb 24, 2014 6:06 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yep, I've played rock gigs with no mics. I'll crank my 22 x 18 TAMA B/B kik with no muffle as high as low-mid to mid range and musicians and sound guys from the audience would ask me "where's the sub?".

In fact, for certain live applications, would this be a better option than, shall we say, a less than optimal sound system/sound person/kik mic?

brad_leishman edited on Feb 24, 2014 6:08 PM

Zenquest

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Feb 25, 2014 8:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah, I think so. If you start with well tuned drums there's a limit to how much damage an inadequate sound operation will do. Also, one does not want to be dependent on an excellent engineer to get good drum sound through a sound system.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Andy

No. 5 Posted on Feb 26, 2014 11:07 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for sharing. I think that's a good reminder to all of us that what sounds great behind the kit may not be so great up front. I find that the Drum Dial recommended tuning ranges are actually too low for my drums, so I've been tuning a bit higher I think than most folks do. I'll continue to watch this. Thanks again.

StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Feb 26, 2014 9:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Humm! I think I'm having the same trouble with toms tuned too low. I'm tuning both heads to the same tone/note using the electronic tuners as per their recommendations as a start. A friend (drummer) at a gig said my drums sounded good but would like me to try tuning about a third higher. I tried that and it seemed to be almost choked to my ears.

Now after reading Paul's statement about raising the tuning of the reso head...I'm wondering...maybe if I use the tuner's recommendation for the same overall fundamental tone but with reso head tuned higher than batter if that is the trick I need to try. The tuner recommendation for bass drum is the same, reso higher than batter.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Feb 26, 2014 9:13 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Mar 2, 2014 5:10 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I haven't tried it yet. LOL!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 8 Posted on Apr 30, 2014 10:14 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yep, same here. I've had that lesson before and I'm much happier with my toms now. I really don't have issue with my bass and snare but I've been tuning the toms with more tension and the tone and response is much better, especially out front.

Funny.....no matter how "experienced" we may be, there is still more to learn. Big Smile

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds