Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

playing rooms with low ceilings
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster playing rooms with low ceilings
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 1 Posted on Dec 12, 2013 8:19 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I find that rooms where the ceiling is relatively low compared to the stage that this can be problematic for the toms. In that kind of room, I think when you strike the tom, the sound waves bounce back off the ceiling back toward the tom and "interfere" (for lack of a better word) with the natural resonance of the tom somehow.

My question is would you agree this is generally a true statement? and if so, has anyone found a successful solution(for example, applying some sort of sound absorbing agent to the ceiling).

Zenquest

No. 2 Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
brad_leishman wrote:
I find that rooms where the ceiling is relatively low compared to the stage that this can be problematic for the toms. In that kind of room, I think when you strike the tom, the sound waves bounce back off the ceiling back toward the tom and "interfere" (for lack of a better word) with the natural resonance of the tom somehow.

My question is would you agree this is generally a true statement? and if so, has anyone found a successful solution(for example, applying some sort of sound absorbing agent to the ceiling).

Many studios use diffusor panels above drum kits.

Andy

No. 3 Posted on Dec 14, 2013 2:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think low ceilings generally have poor acoustics. This becomes worse when both the floor and the ceiling and floor are relatively smooth. Just about any smooth surface will cause your sound guy fits. I think what you're hearing in the toms is going on with everything on stage. The toms are just sounding worse than anything else to your ear. I could be wrong though.

I was recently invited to a party at a rented community center / pavilion building. It had a peaked ceiling but the walls, floors and ceilings were smooth. The band was very good, but the acoustics were crap. We actually had to go outside to hear the band better. It was also very loud and boomy.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 15 milliseconds