Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Pulled from Retirement
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Pulled from Retirement
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Oct 24, 2013 4:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I pulled my 12x13Ē rack tom back from retirement.

Due to my inability to tune the 13Ē tom some years ago I replaced it with a 10x12Ē tom that was easier for me to tune. I couldnít go to the local drum shop and have it tuned before every gig. LOL!! So I replaced it. Although I was disappointed because the Cherry finish did not match the rest of the set I used it for many years and was happy with the beautiful tone it created.

Last week I received the new ATLAS mounts and while changing to the new mounting system I happened to think (and thatís hard for me to do); Iím thinking.....now that technology is so advanced these days and I have the iDrumTech tuning system on my smart phone why couldnít I use the 13Ē tom. The 12Ē tom went into retirement phase.

I was a little apprehensive about using that size/heavy drum with the ATLAS mount but after setup at the first gig Iím totally satisfied with this system. Itís solid as a rock and sounds great. Big Smile

Sherm

StillKicken edited on Oct 25, 2013 6:41 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I retired my 13" long ago - after it shrunk ....... Blush

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Oct 25, 2013 2:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
L'ngOL!!!

technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Oct 25, 2013 5:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
I retired my 13" long ago - after it shrunk ....... Blush

It took me a second to get that LOL.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Subject changed!

LOL!!

sherm

Andy

No. 6 Posted on Nov 17, 2013 4:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Glad to hear those new mounts are working out for you. I don't even own a 13" tom anymore. Used to play a 13 - 16 combination but switched to a 12 years ago. 13 is a good size.

StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Nov 17, 2013 9:36 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The 12x13 is a heavy drum but the new mounts are hanging in there. Iím trying to tune it the same as I did the 10x12; not working like I thought. I need to spend some time and find that sweet spot; itís a deep drum and hard to tune. I think once I find the proper tuning the other toms have a wider range and should be tunable to match.

sherm

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Nov 19, 2013 4:34 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My old Tama Artstar tom was 12x13. I never had trouble tuning it, but I'm not that fussy about toms.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds