Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

One Mount Does It All
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster One Mount Does It All
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Sep 24, 2013 6:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One Mount Does It All

For some years Iíve wanted to mount legs on my 14Ē rack tom. I didnít want to drill more holes; it already has the old Ludwig modular mount system holes in the side when I converted to the RIMS system some years ago. Itís just inconvenient for me to mount a 10 lug 13x14Ē heavy drum on a rack system.

Due to my gradual downsizing the 14Ē floor tom is the largest tom I use now. Iíve already converted the 16x18 floor tom to a full-fledged bass drum. ďNICEĒ

Then I found this:
http://www.ludwig-drums.com/atlas/accessories_lapam1.php

No more hole drilling; just remove a lug and install the mount. It is a very well made mount/bracket/lug, whatever you want to call this thing thatís what it is. And it has an internal suspension isolation system. Yesterday I purchased a three pack and will probably install them on the 14Ē tom tomorrow night.

Sorry if I sound like Iím promoting this thing, that is not my intent. I just wanted to share my excitement with you during my downsizing efforts. Creating a smaller foot print on small stages is my main goal while keeping my setup as flexible as possible.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 2 Posted on Sep 25, 2013 3:11 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dang! I sold an entire kit because I hated the rack-mounted "floor" toms. If this was available back then, I might have kept everything.

Sounds like a great idea. Does it just work with Ludwig or will it fit any brand?

StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Sep 25, 2013 3:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
From what I understand it fits any brands. One bolt is in a slot channel on the back side so to fit all bolt patterns. However I did read a review; (forgot where) the individual had to drill one drill size larger so the bolt would fit in the hole but he was very please with the setup.

I'm thinking of ordering a second 3 pack for mounting my three smaller rack toms to clean up the look of the kit and get rid of the vibra bands that I'm using now.

BTW: The hole size for legs or anything you wish to mount is 12.7mm, it comes with two inserts of different sizes to fit smaller rods. They told me the legs I've been using with larger toms are probably 6 or 7mm and some "L" brackets are 10mm or smaller.

sherm

Andy

No. 4 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 5:08 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
At first glance it looks like it would be a little wobbly for a single-mount tom, but would be IDEAL for a floor tom. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of that!

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 7:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Actually they were only introduced at the last Namm Show this year. It took 4 months for my dealer in Austin to get them. I asked if I order another 3 pack if I would have to wait 4 months? He laughed and said no they have them in stock now.

They are very sturdy and heavy. With each mount there are 2 sets of rubber cushions to protect the shell, I had to use the thin set; two inserts to fit 9.5mm or 10.5mm rods, I used the 10.5mm insert for the legs Iím using; it also comes with one memory clamp.

If using them for floor toms you may have to change to a larger drum case, depending on style. I was lucky; Iím using a 48Ē Ahead soft hardware case for three toms and one snare. Itís a tight fit but it will work.

Here is another picture showing rack toms mounted:

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/usa_classicmaple.php

I can hardly wait till Monday to try it out for the first gig.

sherm

Andy

No. 6 Posted on Sep 27, 2013 4:44 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Great! Let us know how they work out. I'm sure your fellow band members won't give a hoot though. Guitar players - what do they know anyhow!?

I wish I hadn't sold all those hanging floor toms as this would have been a great way to convert them to floor toms. Darn!

Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:43 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
... I hated the rack-mounted "floor" toms...

I do too, for a practical reason. I daren't gig my kit with a stand-mounted FT because I wouldn't feel safe leaving the kit during the break. I think someone would be likely to lean on it when squeezing by, rather than walking round the kit, or something similar.

Singlestroker edited on Oct 6, 2013 1:59 PM

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Sep 27, 2013 4:48 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes, that's always been one of my concerns with hanging floor toms. There's just too much weight being held up by a very small surface area. Another thing I didn't like is that took me too long to set them up. Way too much balancing and adjusting. A floor tom is just so much simpler. And finally, hanging floor toms take up more space - a lot more than floor toms and many stages I used to play gave me fits with my hanging floor tom.

StillKicken

No. 9 Posted on Sep 30, 2013 9:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Great! Let us know how they work out. I'm sure your fellow band members won't give a hoot though. Guitar players - what do they know anyhow!?

That is so true! But they will like the fact that I'm giving more floor space when I do away with that three leg cymbal/tom stand.

Well, I used the 14Ē floor tom with the new mounts and legs for the first time tonight. I was pleasantly pleased. Donít think Iíve ever heard this drum sound so nice.

Itís in the right position easy to reach when needed and out of the way when reaching across to a cymbal plus it just sounds better there. Using the iDrumTech tuner on my iPhone I tuned it a little low for the first time. Both heads are tuned as close as possible to F in the 2nd octave; not that I need it to be on a specific note it is just a good starting point and I like the sound so far in that range.

I did order another mount three pack today; each one will go on the three smaller rack toms; 8, 10 and 12Ē. Will it improve the sound of the rack toms? I donít know; hope so. LOL!! It will however improve on the look of my kit and I believe it will fit in the case better than the vibra style band mounts however with three mounts on a floor tom makes it slightly larger you may have to go to a larger drum case.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Oct 1, 2013 2:53 AM

Andy

No. 10 Posted on Oct 6, 2013 1:49 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Great to hear that it worked out. Too bad I sold those 16x16 and 12x14 matching rack toms. They would have been perfect for this new mount. Oh well... maybe your mounts will break into little pieces during your next gig. Then I won't feel so bad! Smile

StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on Oct 6, 2013 4:27 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Great to hear that it worked out. Too bad I sold those 16x16 and 12x14 matching rack toms. They would have been perfect for this new mount. Oh well... maybe your mounts will break into little pieces during your next gig. Then I won't feel so bad! Smile

LOL!!! I played Saturday and the 14" sounded great and was out of the way of the ride cymbal.

sherm

StillKicken

No. 12 Posted on Nov 24, 2013 5:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
UPDATE:

As you know I've converted to the ATLAS mounting system and I pulled the 12x13 rack tom from retirement so as to match the actual color of the kit. The tom is big and heavy and it probably should be a floor tom like the 13x14 rack tom that was converted to floor.

Since using the 13" for a number of gigs I haven't been overwhelmed with the sound, kind of a tight tinny sound, so I'm thinking the new heads need to break in. Them last night I'm studding the setup prior to play time. The light bulbLight Bulbcomes on. I have this thing tilted like it's a small tom so I'm thinking due to the weight the shell it's over stressed. After changing the angle to a straight up mounting with a slight tilt forward from the bracket. WoW!! The sound is a deep mellow sound with a nice musical tone that matches the other drums.

The ATLAS mount is strong enough to handle the large tom but hanging it straight off an L rod bracket re-leaves the stress due to attaching it in one small area of the shell; the RIMS system may be a better system for mounting large heavy toms when tilting at odd angles.

Just my observation; I'm no expert.

sherm

knightcrawler

No. 13 Posted on Dec 11, 2013 7:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I actually traded in my PDP kit that had a suspension floor tom for a Gretsch because I wanted actual floor toms. This was about 2-3 years ago. I have no regrets, and I'm glad I did because as I was looking for a kit with floor toms I finally decided to listen to the drums and make a purchase to what I feel sounds good to me. Gretsch is awesome.

Recently, I came a cross a Ludwig set.

This mounting system is revolutionary.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 44 milliseconds