Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

revisited: "to the owners of the drum dial"
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster revisited: "to the owners of the drum dial"
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 1 Posted on Sep 15, 2013 6:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What an lively, interesting string of comments from the original post! Although I am late with this topic I think I have something relevant to offer:

The new IDrum Tech app. for the Iphone which was reviewed (very well) by forum member PG drums, pretty much proves that a drum that is "in tune" can easily represent different levels of tension from one lug to the next.

After achieving the same frequency at each lug using the tuner, I could easily feel that (at least) some lugs represented different tensions despite reading an equal frequency.

This isn't really a big surprise, because I was always aware of this when tuning conventionally, but the app. really does prove it. It also comes as no surprise because an absolutely perfectly true drum/bearing edge probably doesn't exist, and even if it did, could it be maintained with the effects humidity and temperature have on drums?

Of course, this observation does not take away from the value of drum dial. Assuming the bearing edge of the drums are reasonable, like someone said in the string, it gets you in the ball park.

Using the IDrum Tech App for Iphone also proved (what we all pretty much knew) that adjusting the tension of any given lug to achieve a specified frequency (at that specific lug) definitely had an impact on the tension/frequency at adjacent and/or opposite lugs.

This is why tuning drums completely from ear can be fatiguing. I don't know about you guys, but after about 20 minutes, I get ear fatigue, so (for me) any device that helps is a plus.

Please see PG drums excellent post reviewing the Iphone app, if your are interested.

Zenquest

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Sep 15, 2013 7:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've started using an electronic device, too. The TuneBot. Now a days, I tune the drum by ear to get it ball park, then use the device to do the fine tune. It has cut my tuning time by about 70% and I couldn't be happier with the results.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Sep 16, 2013 12:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
I've started using an electronic device, too. The TuneBot. Now a days, I tune the drum by ear to get it ball park, then use the device to do the fine tune. It has cut my tuning time by about 70% and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Exactly what I do. The TuneBot is awesome and convenient.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Andy

No. 4 Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:19 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've owned a drum dial for a couple years. It taught me that I'm a lousy drum tuner. My "calibrated fingers" and "perfect ear" for drum tuning are no match for a stupid mechanical device. Smile

knightcrawler

No. 5 Posted on Dec 11, 2013 7:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use the TuneBot for fine tuning as well. I do get what you're saying. Tuning each lug affects another. That's why it's best to tune up and turn the key just barely.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 19 milliseconds