Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

New Snare Drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New Snare Drum
Andy

No. 1 Posted on Sep 12, 2013 5:09 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just unpacked a new (used) drum: Pearl Sensitione Elite steel snare. It's 6.5 x 14. Always wanted one to go with my 5.5 Sensitone. It's in great shape and sounds fantastic: a bit boomier and ringyer than my shallower sensitone. I'll use it on my gig this weekend. Can't wait.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Sep 12, 2013 6:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I can never seem to move away from 5.5 depth shells (just the perfect amount of crack and depth). The 6.5 ones to me, as you said, have a boomier sound -- I am just not a fan of it. That said, I love getting new drums!! so I hope you enjoy yours.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 3 Posted on Sep 13, 2013 10:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've moved away from 6.5" as well. My very last maple shell drum has finally received a bid on Ebay and it will be sold by this weekend. This is my first step back into the "6.5 world". So far, the deeper steel shell is producing some really cool sounds. After testing it last night, my wife asked how I liked it. I replied: "I don't think I have a need for any other snare drum!" Smile

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Sep 14, 2013 5:00 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I tend the other way ... the deeper the better. The deepest snare I had was 7.5" and current one is 7" deep. But then again I use 12" diameter snare drums so maybe I need the extra depth for the tone.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Sep 14, 2013 9:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
I replied: "I don't think I have a need for any other snare drum!" Smile

Now thatís the problem! LOL!!

Every time I think of a new drum especially a snare drum I wonder how much use it will get. Iím so use to and attached to my 6.5 Supra Iím afraid to buy anything else. It has an amazing versatility range as compared to other drums I guess. Iíve never really played any other quality drums so Iím not 100% sure about that but I am comfortable with it. Weíve been together for 19 years now.

Iím starting to like a snappier snare sound. The reso head is a little tighter than my normal tuning and that helps with the extra ring. Iím experimenting with the Ambassador Renaissance; didnít like it at first and after two weeks I purchased another Coated Ambassador then I got busy and havenít had time to put it on. I donít know if the head just broke in or if Iím getting used to it. At least a month later Iím still using it. LOL!! It has a quicker sound than the Coated; after it dies Iíll go back the Coated head and compare the differences.

Congratulations on your new purchase, I think you will enjoy it.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Sep 14, 2013 9:27 AM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 6 Posted on Sep 14, 2013 10:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I saw a quote recently that I liked ..... "When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my guitars for what I told her I paid for them".
I guess a few guys with a few snare drums have similar thoughts .... Big Smile

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 7 Posted on Sep 15, 2013 3:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
I saw a quote recently that I liked ..... "When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my guitars for what I told her I paid for them".
I guess a few guys with a few snare drums have similar thoughts .... Big Smile

Ha! Ha! My wife already knows how much I pay for each item. What she doesn't keep track of is total accumulation! Smile I do, however, try to ensure that when I buy something, I sell something else ... most of the time.

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just played my first gig this weekend. My new snare ROCKED! Love it!

By coincidence, my older maple shell drum finally sold on Ebay. I just shipped it out today.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 26 milliseconds