Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

New Bass Drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New Bass Drum
Andy

No. 1 Posted on Aug 23, 2013 4:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
After downsizing my drums a few years ago I once again fell off the wagon and bought a new bass drum: Gretsch Renown maple bass drum 22x18, undrilled finished with a black/red sparkle fade. I couldn't care less if my drums match, so it will go well with my other assortment of crazy colored drums. Smile

It's new, got it off of Ebay for $320 and am looking forward to its arrival. It has been a very long time since I've bought a new toy, so am excited. I played a Gresch Renown bass drum many years ago and really liked it. I've never owned a 22x18 or any Gretsch product whatsoever.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Aug 23, 2013 7:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I hope you enjoy the new drum, Andy.

You touch on a couple of issues that all of us grapple with. First is drum sizes. I swore a few years ago that nothing less than a 24" BD would do, and the biggest toms I could lay hands on. Now I play an 18" BD. I know a few who switch them round all the time - and cost themselves a lot of money.

As for matching drum colours, it grates with me if I don't have them matching. The public do notice as well. I've been asked a lot of times why I've got odd drums when all that doesn't match is the chrome snare drum. Mind you, colour match would probably go completely unnoticed if my playing was up there with the greats. I might not even think about them myself.

Singlestroker edited on Aug 24, 2013 4:05 PM

StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Aug 24, 2013 7:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations on your new toy, I know you will enjoy it. I have a 16x22 Ludwig maple and have enjoyed it for years. But unlike others Iíve never wanted anything bigger although I do enjoy large toms.

When you get to my age (69 in Oct.) reality begins to set in. LOL! I recently converted my 16x18 floor tom to bass and Iím loving every minute of its use. I normally play in small cramped areas and the ease of setting up and tear down is nice. Iíve used the 18Ē in big dance halls but Iím still more comfortable using the 22Ē.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 4 Posted on Aug 24, 2013 8:08 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ahhhh .... small bass drums. I had a 16 x 16 full conversion from floor tom for a while, then 18 x 14 and am now down to 18 x 7.5 and loving it and cannot ever envisage going backwards on the size spectrum. It's a very personal thing and since I have long used 12" deep snares it suits me to down-size all around - even with cymbals.

But when I was very young I did a play a borrowed antiquated 26" bass drum that was as shallow as my 7.5" current one so fashions come and go and whatever suits your preference is fine.

Enjoy the new addition.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Aug 24, 2013 12:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congrats on your new find, Andy Smile

Hells bells - if it works for you, great!!

Thumbs-up -

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Aug 25, 2013 3:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I hope you enjoy the new drum, Andy.

You touch on a couple of issues that all of us grapple with. First is drum sizes. I swore a few years ago that nothing less than a 24" BD would do, and the biggest toms I could lay hands on. Now I play an 18" BD. I know a few who switch them round all the time - and cost themselves a lot of money.

As for matching drum colours, it grates with me if I don't have them matching. The public do notice as well. I've been asked a lot of times why I've got odd drums when all that doesn't match is the chrome snare drum. Mind you, colour match would probably go completely unnoticed if my playing was up there with the greats. I might not even think about them myself.

Right now I use a 20x16 for 90% of my gigging; sold my 24" beast years ago. I still use a 22x16 primarily in my practice room. You and I are generally alike in our love of small bass drums but this 22x18 was just calling my name and I couldn't resist! Smile I do notice a sound difference between the 20" and 22". Not sure what the Gretsch will turn out to be. I played one years ago an loved it.

As for matching colors, I actually PREFER mismatched Frankenstein looking 4-piece kits. If it's any consolation, all the drums in my Frankenstein pile are some sort of sparkle, albiet different colors.

Andy

No. 7 Posted on Aug 25, 2013 3:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
Congratulations on your new toy, I know you will enjoy it. I have a 16x22 Ludwig maple and have enjoyed it for years. But unlike others Iíve never wanted anything bigger although I do enjoy large toms.

When you get to my age (69 in Oct.) reality begins to set in. LOL! I recently converted my 16x18 floor tom to bass and Iím loving every minute of its use. I normally play in small cramped areas and the ease of setting up and tear down is nice. Iíve used the 18Ē in big dance halls but Iím still more comfortable using the 22Ē.

sherm

Holy Cow! 69 years old and you're still rockin!! That's great.

This new drum is maple and my other 2 bass drums are birch.

Like you, I swore off anything larger than 22x16 but I'm weak! Should be pretty cool.

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Aug 25, 2013 3:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Ahhhh .... small bass drums. I had a 16 x 16 full conversion from floor tom for a while, then 18 x 14 and am now down to 18 x 7.5 and loving it and cannot ever envisage going backwards on the size spectrum. It's a very personal thing and since I have long used 12" deep snares it suits me to down-size all around - even with cymbals.

But when I was very young I did a play a borrowed antiquated 26" bass drum that was as shallow as my 7.5" current one so fashions come and go and whatever suits your preference is fine.

Enjoy the new addition.

I tried a 16x16 but it didn't suit my rock and blues bands. 16x20 is probably the best compromise between size and sound to my ears. This bigger bass drum will give me a different sound when I have the urge but I think I'll still primarily gig with a 20"... unless I REALLY like the Gretsch! Smile

Andy

No. 9 Posted on Aug 25, 2013 3:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Congrats on your new find, Andy Smile

Hells bells - if it works for you, great!!

Thumbs-up -

Thanks. It's being shipped now. I expect it to arrive the middle of next week.

StillKicken

No. 10 Posted on Aug 25, 2013 6:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thumbs up

sherm

Singlestroker

No. 11 Posted on Aug 26, 2013 1:48 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Right now I use a 20x16 for 90% of my gigging; sold my 24" beast years ago. I still use a 22x16 primarily in my practice room. You and I are generally alike in our love of small bass drums but this 22x18 was just calling my name and I couldn't resist! Smile I do notice a sound difference between the 20" and 22". Not sure what the Gretsch will turn out to be. I played one years ago an loved it.

As for matching colors, I actually PREFER mismatched Frankenstein looking 4-piece kits. If it's any consolation, all the drums in my Frankenstein pile are some sort of sparkle, albiet different colors.

Hi again Andy. I thought I should make it clear that I wasn't criticising your preference, but reflecting on how different people are. I know how restricting colour-fussiness can be. I've been leaving snare drums at home when they probably were better for the particular job than a matching one. That's me, and I know it doesn't make musical sense.

Where bass drum size is concerned, and, for that matter, the size of my main kit, weight and space restrictions in venues and my transport have been the main factors in bringing me to go small. As with colour, though, my thinking has had to be trained to accept it.That training has worked, since I now like a compact setup.

There's nothing like waiting for that package to arrive. I'm sure you feel the same.

Andy

No. 12 Posted on Aug 28, 2013 2:55 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It just arrived today. I checked it out carefully and put it together, tuned it up and it sounds great. It comes with an Evans EMAD which I almost replaced with a Pinstripe because it looked like it had too much muffling, but decided to try it. After tweaking around with the tunings, it sounds awesome! The batter head Evans EMAD sounds better when tuned a little on the high side.

As a former die-hard proponent for shallow bass drums (14-16") I'm not seeing any lack of response from this drum. It's a whole lot louder and boomier than my 16x20 Yamaha BCA bass drum. It sounds just a tiny bit more resonant than my 16x22 Yamaha recording custom bass drum but I may be wrong. For all intents and purposes, both my 22" drums probably sound about the same, probably because of the way I tune them! Smile

Although it's an 18" deep bass drum (the first one I've ever owned) it fits just fine in my Beato 16x22 bag, though a little on the snug side. No big deal, as I'm not buying another $100 bag if this one fits. Smile

Overall, I'm very happy with my new drum. My next band practice is on September 6th and I can't wait to try it. I'll definitely bring it to my next gig (Sept. 14th) as well.

Andy edited on Aug 28, 2013 3:00 PM

Andy

No. 13 Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here it is...

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Andy

No. 14 Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
And the whole kit...

Andy

No. 15 Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:53 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Long distance view... (please excuse the mess of my barn band room)...

Andy

No. 16 Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
View from behind the kit...

pwc

No. 17 Posted on Aug 29, 2013 8:48 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Looks good Andy. My own experience with ever smaller bass drums is that I tend to tune and/or muffle them so that to my ears they sound very much like I tuned any larger ones I have had and when more volume was ever needed then mics took over. But we each have our own way of hearing and our own likes and styles and sound is what its all about. If you like the sound from either the driver's seat or out front then that's what is important. Enjoy !

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 18 Posted on Aug 31, 2013 12:14 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice bass drum enjoy and WoW what a nice place to practice.

Wished I only had a corner to set up in my house. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel in the future. HeeHee! I made a suggestion to the wife to move two computers to a corner bedroom; stating that I want my game room back. It's piled with junk and two computer desk in the way of the pool table. Thinking I may be able to find a practice corner. Shuu don't say anything. HeeHee!!

Anyway enjoy the new bass drum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sherm

Andy

No. 19 Posted on Aug 31, 2013 4:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks. This room is actually the second floor of a barn. I fixed it up as my band's practice room.

StillKicken

No. 20 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:14 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Do you have an elivator?

sherm

StillKicken

No. 21 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
sorry it was a double post

pwc

No. 22 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:18 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Oh, a double post. I thought you were asking if he has an elevator to two floors or maybe two elevators .... Smile

Andy

No. 23 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:19 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sadly, no elevator, but I do have stairs! Smile

It's the running joke in the band when it's time to carry the bass player's amp. It takes two guys to get it up the stairs and whoever is carrying something else is always accused of slacking.

My barn "studio" is unheated so I use a kerosene heater in the winter. It's humble, beat-up and not fancy but has great acoustics. Even I sound good! Smile

Andy

No. 24 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:20 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Oh, a double post. I thought you were asking if he has an elevator to two floors or maybe two elevators .... Smile

Heck, I'd be happy with just ONE elevator! Smile

I thought about moving it to the lower part but it would interfere with other stuff that can't be moved to the top floor like a truck, all my shop stuff, etc...

I've mounted all kinds of cool "guy stuff" on the walls to include: a belt of machinegun ammunition, a pellet gun revolver that looks real, an authentic WWII mosin nagant bolt-action rifle, an old ukelele found on the side of the road, an African wooden mask, etc... I'm going through my second childhood! Smile

Andy edited on Sep 1, 2013 6:24 AM

StillKicken

No. 25 Posted on Sep 1, 2013 6:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well could be afreight elivator? Light Bulb

sherm

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 92 milliseconds