Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Hi again!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Hi again!
Monkeypoo

No. 1 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 2:08 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey everyone!
It's been ages since I've been on so I thought I'd take the time to say hi!
I hope you're all doing well!

Here's a bit of an update on what I've been up to with some pics!

First pic is my current set up.
From left to right
14" Meinl Byzance hihats (heavy trad top and a dark bottom)
20" extra dry thin crash
24" traditional medium ride
20" traditional medium crash (not pictured)

Mapex Saturn in 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 22x16
Snare in picture is my Pearl 13x9 African Mahogany.

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Mapex Saturn in Green Apple Burst
Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
Promark 2B "Natural" Sticks
Monkeypoo

No. 2 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 2:09 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My sneaky drummers tattoo! Clown

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
Monkeypoo

No. 3 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 2:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Picked up a Black Panther maple.
It's a 14x6.5 shell with an outer ply of walnut. Really nice higher frequency with a nice bit of body from the depth. Beautiful overtones with a lively nature.

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
Monkeypoo

No. 4 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 2:15 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My friend in Mapex Australia organised a clinic for Hobart with Glen Sobel from Alice Cooper which was fantastic. We had this "Drummerface" photo booth kinda set up. Was good fun and the best drummerface won a Black Panther Velvetone snare.

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
Monkeypoo

No. 5 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 2:30 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In other news, I was offered a job in my local music store for my experience in the retail industry (on the clothing side) and my drum knowledge. It's going great so far and we've just moved to a bigger store only a few doors up from the old one. It's fantastic and I say this with confidence (not arrogance or cockiness I assure you) but we're fast becoming the "go to" spot for drum equipment in Hobart because of the input I've had on the business and customers. It's really great to be in a position that I'm given opportunity to be myself, grow and in return help the business grow too and I am so grateful for it!!

I'm a drum tutor 2 days a week at a local school which is great fun. Super fulfilling too seeing the kids grow into their own styles!

I'm also refining my skills in art so that I can eventually get an apprenticeship in tattooing. It's a career path I'm really looking forward to going down. I've got a local studio looking after me already but they already have apprentice. When he's gone it'll be my turn though!

On the side of music and art I'm an accused coffee addict. i just call it passion. Australia has amazing coffee and I'm all about flavour. I'm planning on starting a blog to review coffee, beer, and whiskey. All of the more boutique nature. It's just something I really enjoy writing about so I figured i may as well share my experiences good and bad! I'd also review coffee shops as i make regular trips to melbourne and soon other states with the intent of touring their coffee shops. This would probably call for a separate blog to the alcohol though!

Anyway! That's what I'm up to!
Would love to hear what you're all up to!

All the best!

Ian

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Jul 26, 2013 8:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just looking at your cymbals, are you more of a jazz drummer?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 7 Posted on Jul 27, 2013 10:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I was actually just thinking about your 9"-deep snare the other day! Good to see you back!

Going back in time a bit, was there ever a resolution to your gear that was stolen?

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

technique2012

No. 8 Posted on Jul 28, 2013 7:20 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
I was actually just thinking about your 9"-deep snare the other day! Good to see you back!

Going back in time a bit, was there ever a resolution to your gear that was stolen?

Stolen??

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 9 Posted on Jul 28, 2013 9:37 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Stolen??

Yeah, Monkeypoo had a very unfortunate loss of some very nice Meinls.

Monkeypoo

No. 10 Posted on Aug 1, 2013 3:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My Meinls were in fact found. They had been taken by someone and they attempted to sell them off but someone recognized them as mine fortunately!
So they got called out and I got my cymbals back!

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
Monkeypoo

No. 11 Posted on Aug 1, 2013 3:46 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Just looking at your cymbals, are you more of a jazz drummer?

I'm a straight up rock drummer. I suppose I have a more alternative style. But I'm a hard hitter who enjoys the more traditional, dark and dirty sounding cymbals that to me create a more interesting pallet of sounds.

Meinl Byzance Cymbals
Remo Heads
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 12 Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:08 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Monkeypoo wrote:
My Meinls were in fact found. They had been taken by someone and they attempted to sell them off but someone recognized them as mine fortunately!
So they got called out and I got my cymbals back!

That's fantastic!

Andy

No. 13 Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:56 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Monkeypoo wrote:
I'm a straight up rock drummer. I suppose I have a more alternative style. But I'm a hard hitter who enjoys the more traditional, dark and dirty sounding cymbals that to me create a more interesting pallet of sounds.

Thanks for the update Monkeypoo. If I remember correctly, you've been on this site for many years on and off. I have a similar cymbal choice. Though I'm primarily a Rock drummer, I use a Zildjian K Jazz ride as a crash and a Sabian HH medium heavy ride. Yes, these aren't traditional Rock cymbals, but they suit my style and sound good to my ear.

pgdrums

No. 14 Posted on Aug 9, 2013 7:53 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations on all your good news.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 74 milliseconds