Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Not a lot of talk
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Not a lot of talk
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Jul 21, 2013 5:55 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Not a lot of talk on weekends.

I assume everyone but me is playing gigs. However I did play three gigs last weekend; Thursday, Friday and a Sunday afternoon. This was a little unusual for me lately; my normal gigs have been on Mondays weekly, every other Tuesday, a monthly Wednesday and Friday plus a monthly Saturday afternoon.

When do you guys play, any regular stuff?

sherm

OOOPS! I put his in the wrong folder; should have been in General talk. Sorry Blush

StillKicken edited on Jul 21, 2013 6:10 AM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Jul 21, 2013 6:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am down to one gig a week on Mondays with a jazz trio and that's unpaid ... Sad
I could do many more at unpaid jam night of blues and rock but that is not really my thing.
The big city offers a lot more than where I live now but so many far better young guys get those gigs. Ah well .... I had some good years so no real regrets.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Jul 21, 2013 7:07 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I go to an open jazz jam session every Sunday afternoon (unpaid of course). After the first month or two of school, my middle school jazz ensemble typically has around one performance a month if that counts.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Jul 21, 2013 6:07 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sure it all counts with or without money. It's all fun. My last three gigs was good to me but most of the time we play for tips and most people think the establishment is paying us; and that's a big NOPE! Most of the time we get free food.

Too many musicians in Austin and some are trying to make a living at it so they get what they can get.

sherm

HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 5 Posted on Jul 22, 2013 9:27 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently played my biggest gig yet. I've meant to start a thread about it, but haven't sat down to write it or upload my pictures from it.

I've also been in a gear upheaval. Anybody know what heads I should use to sound like Sherm? Smile

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Singlestroker

No. 6 Posted on Jul 23, 2013 12:55 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's one gig a month for me, in our British brass band. Our concerts are exclusively for local causes, so they are always unpaid, and we pay our own travel expenses. We also pay a monthly subscription to belong to the band.

I've joined second brass band to play timpani and learn mallet-key instruments, but we probably won't be doing more than half a dozen concerts per year.

StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Jul 30, 2013 1:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:

I've also been in a gear upheaval. Anybody know what heads I should use to sound like Sherm? Smile

WoW; a nice compliment! You haven't heard what I sound like or did you use the wrong name? LOL!!

I use Fiberskyn3's on both sides of the toms; Base drum has Fiberskyn3 PS3 on both sides; snare has Coated Ambassador batter and Snare side hazy as a resonant head. Reason for this setup: I normally play in small restruants and low volumn is a must. Plus you will need 45 years of experience to sound like Sherm. LOL!!

I am testing a Renaissance batter on the snare now; I haven't decided if I like it at this time.

Creating YOUR sound takes time and it's not an easy task if you want it to be something special or different than the others; that's the hard part.

I try to get my toms to sound musical like a low pitched bell; bong or boom; without a long ring. I want to hear articulation; I also want to hear the tone of the bell. I guess my tuning is simular to Jazz drummers.

Tuning is one of the main factors in creating the sound I like with any head and with my ears thatís a real chore no matter which head you are using. The new electronic tuners are a big help for me and you can download one on your smart phone for less than $5.00.

sherm

HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 8 Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
Plus you will need 45 years of experience to sound like Sherm. LOL!!

I'll check back in 2050. Big Smile

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

StillKicken

No. 9 Posted on Aug 1, 2013 8:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
I'll check back in 2050. Big Smile

LOL!! 2050 I will be 105 years young and still making noise. Big Smile

sherm

Crusher

No. 10 Posted on Aug 3, 2013 8:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here since the bar burnt down live music is all but dead. To get anything I have to drive to Windsor and even then most bands are doing that acoustic sound thing which leaves very little for drummers to do. Lately I have not been gigging so I woodshed on a pad or my steering wheel while at work.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 30 milliseconds