Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Bring the 'skin' back to 'Skin and Tubs'
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Bring the 'skin' back to 'Skin and Tubs'
SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 1 Posted on Jul 9, 2013 7:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Has anyone used animal skin on a kit? I'm curious to hear it, but I can't make one myself. Do you think the weather would expand/retract it to the point of throwing it out of tune? How would it sound?

You are your own worst critic.
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Jul 9, 2013 9:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Many decades ago, prior to synthetic drum heads, it was a real pain to warm up the drum kit in damp weather or cold in front of a fire or with lamps to get the kit tight and tuneable. I wouldn't bother turning back the clock since many newer heads create the older warmer sound that such non-synthetic heads created.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
moneyowen

No. 3 Posted on Jul 10, 2013 8:23 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have some earthtone heads. Which are goat skin. They have a great earthy tone. But influenced by everything and need a lot of fiddling. The goat heads these guys make (made) have regular plastic collars. They aren't as finicky as calf heads. Don't have the warmth either. For me? In general use.", I put them on and take them off. Plastic heads have more tone and projection. And don't turn into flat tires or bongos, depending on what the weather is doing. They do have a nice earthy organic warm tone. Especially if you have them on top and bottom

paul

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Jul 10, 2013 6:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When I first started gigging in 1964 I had a set of Slingerlands with calfskin heads. We had an organ trio that played under a canvas circus-like tent, usually starting in the afternoon and playing off and on into the late evening.

On these gigs I was tuning those drums sometimes hourly, and the heads were not only expensive for a 16 year old kid, they broke pretty easily. The day that I was able to replace the heads with Weather Kings was a red letter day in my drumming life.

Calf heads have made a comeback of sorts lately, mostly because of guys with excess money and a purist idea of drum sounds. Good for them. I'm staying with mylar till I die.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 5 Posted on Jul 10, 2013 9:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Indeed, Paul. I have seen such skins tightened in damp weather split when the temperature rose again. Also, when very dry after long use they often split. Just can't see why anyone would want to ignore valid technological advances in anything, let alone drum heads.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
SnareNumber4

Music > Life

No. 6 Posted on Jul 11, 2013 8:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I knew there was a reason people stopped using animal skin heads. I was just curious to their sound. They seem like they would be deeper in tone and have a warm feel to them.

You are your own worst critic.
pwc

No. 7 Posted on Jul 11, 2013 10:13 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Listen to any recording of the 1940's or 1950's or earlier .... but the drums were probably warmed up before tuning for those recordings ....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 30 milliseconds