Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

DW Collector's Series Concrete Snare
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster DW Collector's Series Concrete Snare
drumbum593

The Bum

No. 1 Posted on Jul 3, 2013 6:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Has anybody seen or tried one of these out? I saw one of these at the Memphis drum shop the other day, but didn't get a chance to play it. Seems like a unique idea, and it sounds pretty good from the video I found. Thoughts?

http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=532&products_id=15381

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors 08-09 USSBA South States Percussion Champ
Tenors 09-10 USSBA Natl Champ Percussion, 2nd Overall
Tenors 10-11 USSBA TN State Champ
US Army All-American Band
Tenors '11

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Jul 3, 2013 7:20 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I thought that I was open-minded. After all, I seem to be one of a small minority that love Remo's Acousticon shells. However, I'm not sure that I'd want to buy a concrete drum, even if I had the money (US RRP $1300). I expect that there's plenty of synthetic resins as well as Portland Cement hanging the shell together, and perhaps the DW name will break the prejudice against non-traditional materials suffered by Remo.

EDIT: Hang on, though, let me get off the fence and say I'd be more than amazed if this took off.

Singlestroker edited on Jul 4, 2013 5:27 AM

pwc

No. 3 Posted on Jul 3, 2013 6:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Great, I always wanted a snare drum that matched my driveway .... Clown

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Jul 4, 2013 4:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Great, I always wanted a snare drum that matched my driveway .... Clown

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Not my driveway, it has a crack in it!

I don't know,it want be one of my wants. You could probably make a drum out of any material and it will make a noise but, is it marketable? How about glass, will it resonate? Concrete or glass; just don't drop it.

sherm

PS: Wonder what the toms would sound like?

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 5 Posted on Jul 4, 2013 6:54 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
"PS: Wonder what the toms would sound like?"

Bi-tom-en ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Pearl57

No. 6 Posted on Jul 4, 2013 11:35 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Glass snares have been around for years. And no, you can't drop it and break the shell. drum. It's a synthetic. Watch the videos on it.

They throw it on the ground, hit it with a sledge. 200 pound man jumps up and down on it.

Try that with would. Had one up a Chucks in Wheaton around 6 months ago. Loud, dry and unusual.

Pearl57 edited on Jul 4, 2013 11:37 AM

Crusher

No. 7 Posted on Jul 4, 2013 8:33 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I complain about moving my set? How heavy would these be? lol

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
Singlestroker

No. 8 Posted on Jul 5, 2013 1:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
I complain about moving my set? How heavy would these be? lol

I couldn't find a published weight for the drum, so I calculated, it. Assuming that the concrete used is about the same density as building concrete, at 2400kg per cubic metre, it seems the shell alone will be about 6.34kg, or just under 14 lbs.

Have I got my sums right here, anyone? If so, it's one heavy snare drum.

technique2012

No. 9 Posted on Jul 5, 2013 7:06 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
It's one heavy snare drum.

I need the exercise anyway LOL

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Pearl57

No. 10 Posted on Jul 6, 2013 6:31 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I couldn't find a published weight for the drum, so I calculated, it. Assuming that the concrete used is about the same density as building concrete, at 2400kg per cubic metre, it seems the shell alone will be about 6.34kg, or just under 14 lbs.

Have I got my sums right here, anyone? If so, it's one heavy snare drum.

I think you are correct.That should be for the 5.5 model.I think the 6.5 is closer to17lbs.The shell is similar to soapstone rather than actual concrete.

StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on Jul 6, 2013 7:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'd have to get another two wheel dolly!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Jul 6, 2013 8:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pearl57 wrote:
I think you are correct.That should be for the 5.5 model.I think the 6.5 is closer to17lbs.The shell is similar to soapstone rather than actual concrete.

When I said the shell only came out at about 14lbs I meant the shell before adding hoops, lugs, etc., so the 17lbs sounds about right. I know - I'm splitting hairs.

I just can't imagine how I'd ever come to want to lug that thing around!

Pearl57

No. 13 Posted on Jul 6, 2013 12:20 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
When I said the shell only came out at about 14lbs I meant the shell before adding hoops, lugs, etc., so the 17lbs sounds about right. I know - I'm splitting hairs.

I just can't imagine how I'd ever come to want to lug that thing around!

+1!

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 26 milliseconds