Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Stick Weight ...
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Stick Weight ...
OldFart

Mapex

No. 1 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 12:40 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Perhaps meaningless to all but a few of us.

I only have Hickory drumsticks at the moment, all others are synthetic ( Ahead, Flix ). I should get some Maple sticks, too.

Nevertheless -

I've got a US Postal Service electronic Mail scale which purports to be accurate to 0.1 ounce. Unfortunately, it only reads in Ounces ( My error, I thought sure it could register Grams as well ).

But playfully, I weighed my current Go-To Sticks Vater Gospel Series GS-5A.

As the manufacturer claims, they match: 2 ounces each. I'm not surprised; Vater makes a fine product.

Someone is going to sleep better tonight having gained this assurance ...

OldFart edited on Jun 26, 2013 12:46 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:38 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
While in theory identical weights of a pair of sticks is ideal, I doubt that a gram here or there would be felt. More important to me is density so that two sticks would sound very much the same when struck together once then reverse hands/sticks and struck together again. That's a test I tend to do when matching back pairs of sticks that got mixed up in my stick bag. I think that is way Pro-Mark matches them ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 9:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been using VF SD10's for a while, and when I buy sticks I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh each pair together. This lets me get several pair as close to the same weight as possible. Firth sticks, in my experience, are very well matched as to weight and tone, and this has been working well for me.

Also, the variation in weight of different pairs, which has been as much as 30%, seems to be decreasing, making for VERY consistent products. My last purchase was of six pair that are all within a 1/10 ounce of each other.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 12:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Peter -

I've never done that, actually; but what you say is a good point to contribute for those of us learning how you select sticks. It definitely makes sense, and I think others will gain from reading your input. Thanks.

Paul -

Ditto that. I also haven't come across many sticks that I'd call 'Rejects' for true straightness as once was a bit more prevalent.

Reading direct from the Vater packaging:

"All Vater Sticks are tone matched by computer analysis."

I bought these sticks online, just for full disclosure.

And, no, this wasn't intended as a Vater promo.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I go into a shop with the feeling that I want to try something different then end up buying the same tried and true. LOL!!

Over time I've come to like oak as my go to wood; it has a great cross stick sound in combination with the Grove Wedge block on the side of my snare. Wood on wood just sounds good.

The one thing that bothers me the most is the quality control of the density of the wood. For the sound I prefer it requires heavy density, dark colored wood; the lighter colors just don't do the trick for me. At times I'm really disappointed when a new shipment comes in to the drum shop and my go to sticks are white and light in weight as compared to a darker wood.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
moneyowen

No. 6 Posted on Jun 30, 2013 10:14 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Jeff Porcaro's drum tech tells the story of how Jeff would go through a brick of sticks, and pick one out and say "See? this is what I'm looking for" and the tech could never tell what it was he was after. I'm more of that camp. I just use them until they wear out one way or the other

pgdrums

No. 7 Posted on Jul 2, 2013 7:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^^ Maybe that was the secret to Porcaro's magical playing. I really miss hearing him on new albums. What a pop music master he was.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds