Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

In praise of my snare drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster In praise of my snare drum
paul

paulmiller

No. 1 Posted on Jun 18, 2013 9:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
For almost 10 years my goto snare drum has been a 6x14 DW Craviotto, especially after changing out the strainer for a Trick and installing some different snares.

On Saturday I played a concert with a singer doing Texas country music. I tuned both heads down (half a turn bottom, a little more on top) and tightened the snares, and got a big fat sound that the bass player, who also plays drums, felt compelled to compliment. Then last night I subbed with a local big band. Tightening both heads gave me crispness and body that fit perfectly with the Basie style they like.

This drum goes everywhere, and has never let me down. Whatever sound I think I need, I'm able to get it. It even tunes up high if I want, with really nice pop. It also has excellent range of volume. I really need to take it apart and give it an oil treatment, but hate to be without it, even for a little while.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Jun 18, 2013 1:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It looks beautiful too, and I love die-cast hoops. Is the metalwork gold-plated, or is it just the lighting?

paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Jun 18, 2013 7:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The metal is gold plated. Getting a matching Trick was a project itself.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Jun 19, 2013 2:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
The metal is gold plated. Getting a matching Trick was a project itself.

Looking at the price of a non-gold-plated Trick, I guess it was an expensive project too. It's not entirely out of the question that I might go that route, as I do have a gold-plated snare drum myself - a Remo 50th Anniversary drum.

I see that these drums have solid timber shells. Is that staves, steam bent or hollowed-out? Do you think that the solid wood shell makes a significant difference to the playing properties of a drum?

pwc

No. 5 Posted on Jun 19, 2013 8:14 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am uncertain of Paul's shell, but in my own case I had a Spirit Drums total one piece hollowed out shell that was extremely "focused" and while I sold that later it led to my buying a stave shell snare that is very similar in tone. It is a combination of wood grain going in one direction top to bottom and the thickness of the shell (5/8 "). The sales pitch is that the vibrations get transferred to the snare head rather than the shell itself but whatever the physics are, the result is a deeper sound and a sensitivity at almost all tunings. While not a Brady snare, mine has most of the characteristics that those have - at least their stave shells I have heard. My drummer buddy calls it a "one sound" snare. By that he does not mean a non versatile one but means that striking it gives an immediate combination of everything into a single satisfying sound whereby shell tone and snare are totally "together". I can't think of a better description of the way mine "sings".

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:09 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice looking snare. I've always liked the look of natural wood grain. I've even considered tearing the wrap off my Pearl MCX and rubbing in some linseed oil.

As for the sound, I'm glad you've found that one snare to do it all. It sort of reduces the need to buy more drums, doesn't it? Maybe you need to re-think this! Smile or at least don't tell your wife! Smile

paul

paulmiller

No. 7 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 11:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The shell is steam bent, and was made originally by Craviotto for DW, who installed the hardware. I also have a similar sized Radio King that stays with my four piece set at big band rehearsal space, a 70's Gretsch 5.5x14 I keep for sentimental reasons, and the 6x14 Gretsch that came with my set of Catalina Maples.

I've owned several snares over the last couple of decades, but the Crav is the most versatile, followed closely by the RK.

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 8 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ah ... Radio King? I've heard others give them heartfelt praise, too.

I've only owned a small handful of Snare Drums in my day. But one of the best sounding drums I've ever Played was a Slingerland Concert Snare in school. It just happened to have 'It'. An 8x14" all mahagony shell. Very sweet drum.

I never got over the loss of my Slingerland Super Sound King ... that was the pinnacle of the personal Snare Drum gear for me.

Your Steambent Craviotto has always sounded great on the audio posts you've supplied of your big band outings.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
paul

paulmiller

No. 9 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 10:07 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks.

Slingerland has always made underappreciated snare drums, IMO. I love my RK, although I did switch the strainer for a Trick, and the stick saver hoops for diecasts. It's a really nice drum, which is why I keep it where the big band rehearses. A drummer friend put me on to it on ebay. It's a modern drum from when Slingerland was in South Carolina.

I'd love to hear an 8x14 mahogany snare. That would be a powerful rock drum. Their chrome snares have always been really nice drums, too. Much better, IMO, than Gretsch metal snares.

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 10 Posted on Jun 21, 2013 3:15 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Talking of Radio Kings, I'd be after this like A shot if it was in the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slingerland-13x5-Radio-King-Snare-Drum-Blue-Sparkle-Vintage-50s-Mahogany-Brass-/171058368827?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item27d3df913b

I don't know what they fetch it the States, but it would be a steal here, assuming it's all for real.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 11 Posted on Jun 21, 2013 5:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^^ Singlestroker :

Very, very nice drum given the age .

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
OldFart

Mapex

No. 12 Posted on Jun 21, 2013 5:46 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
Thanks.

Slingerland has always made underappreciated snare drums, IMO. I love my RK, although I did switch the strainer for a Trick, and the stick saver hoops for diecasts.

I had Diecasts on the Snare before this Slingerland SSK, so the change in response and tone was noticeable beyond the fact that they were both COB Snare shells. I must be an odd one, though, as I did tend to like the Stick Savers for what they were.

It's a really nice drum, which is why I keep it where the big band rehearses. A drummer friend put me on to it on ebay. It's a modern drum from when Slingerland was in South Carolina.

Hmmm ... I never kept up to speed with Slingerland history, unfortunately - was that when Gretsch tried to keep them from dissolving?

I'd love to hear an 8x14 mahogany snare. That would be a powerful rock drum. Their chrome snares have always been really nice drums, too. Much better, IMO, than Gretsch metal snares.

I've been keeping an eye out ( well, a lazy eye, if you can pardon my expression ) for a match for that one model. It had excellent tone and was very, very responsive - as one expects from Concert Snare Drums. Funnily enough, I liked the two Slingerland Snares I've had the pleasure to play - one metal, one wooden. Nice stuff the whole way round.

I always liked my Gretsch COB, but the Slingerland Super Sound King was easy to tune, very responsive, full-bodied, and had terrific crack when you wanted. I felt at home with it. I think I had the 5x14" version. The drum sold me on parallel snares.

I don't have the dough for a Ludwig Bronze Super Sensitive, but I suspect that would equal or better the SSK . Irrespective: the SSK is a sentimental favorite -

OldFart edited on Jun 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 39 milliseconds