Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Not just a gimmick
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Not just a gimmick
pgdrums

No. 1 Posted on Jun 17, 2013 9:49 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'd read here and elsewhere about Ahead sticks and always assumed they were a gimmick, or for "heavy hitters" who chewed up a lot of sticks or had bad technique. On the way to the gig on Saturday, I stopped at a music store to pick up some more sticks; they were out of the model I wanted, so I decided to purchase a pair of Ahead sticks instead, just to see what they were all about.

I didn't expect to like them, and I bought them more to curb my curiosity than with any expectation of playing them regularly, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I bought them in 7A size, and I was really impressed by their responsiveness. There seemed to be a lot more rebound than I'd expect from a wooden 7A, and I found that I could play double strokes with a little more speed and ease than normal.

I knew these sticks were supposed to last longer than wood, but I didn't expect that I'd actually appreciate the feel and response as much as I did. They might just turn out to be my go-to sticks.

The only drawback was that I dropped a stick at 2 different times during the gig, and normally when that happens, I just reach into the stick bag attached to my floor tom and grab another one. At $35/pair, I don't have any spare Aheads yet. If I decide to keep playing with them, I might have to get a backup pair.

Just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else was considering them. Not what I expected at all.

pgdrums edited on Jun 17, 2013 9:51 AM

OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Jun 17, 2013 10:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wow ...

I have a pair of 5B, 5A and 7A Ahead sticks.

I'm more partial to A sizes where sticks rated in B or A sizes are concerned.

You've concluded something nearly identical to my findings. I don't play out as you do, so my reasoning is a bit different. Ahead sticks seem to be made well, though, and I truly like them.

Ultimately, I concluded that they'd be my Go-To back-up sticks owing more to weight than anything else.

I think they're great and they're advertised as having vibration-dampening qualities. I can't show that they do or don't dampen, but I don't get the same buzz in my hands over time (and my hands and wrists are sensitive to vibration).

So the roughly $100 investment in Ahead sticks means that I'm set for some time. I hoped to purchase a couple of their Mallet heads to use on my 5B's, but got distracted with other things. I might just do that next opportunity.

Glad you brought this up -

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Crusher

No. 3 Posted on Jun 17, 2013 6:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I got a pair given to me by Jason Pierce. I also like the length and feel of them. I enjoyed the bounce and control of them as well. However I did break them.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
Dave

No. 4 Posted on Jun 18, 2013 7:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
I got a pair given to me by Jason Pierce. I also like the length and feel of them. I enjoyed the bounce and control of them as well. However I did break them.

Hello Crusher - How are you?

What is Jason up to these days? I remember his band 'The Weekend'. Is he still playing?

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

Andy

No. 5 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have a pair of Ahead size 2B. They're nice sticks but I prefer traditional wood sticks with nylon tips. The Aheads tend to be a little slippery and heavy...but only slightly. They're still decent sticks and I do like them.

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 6 Posted on Jul 1, 2013 1:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for reminding me that I have some.....somewhere...

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
Crusher

No. 7 Posted on Jul 2, 2013 8:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:
Hello Crusher - How are you?

What is Jason up to these days? I remember his band 'The Weekend'. Is he still playing?

I haven't talked to Jason in a long time but knowing him if he is breathing he is playing lol. I did an update thread in General talk to answer your question about me.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds