Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! [Re:Tony_D]
Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Mar 27, 2013 1:29 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Unless you can find heads that are intended for your particular drum, the you will need to work with your supplier to ensure that you are comparing like with like.

I suggest that you draw a diagram, with dimensions showing exactly what you have measured. Obviously, the task will be much easier if you have the broken heads and can measure the inside dimensions of the hoops and the upstands of the heads from the top of the hoops. You will also need to measure the inside of the metal hoop into which the hoops of the heads sit at the top and bottom. If the old heads are missing, you'll need to the same take measurements of the metal hoops, measure the outer diameters of the bearing edges and estimate the head-hoop thickness needed to avoid an over-tight fit onto the shell.

If possible, get detailed dimensions of the heads that you propose to buy and compare them with the drums yourself. This should be much more reliable than sending off dimensions to a firm that may or may not grasp what you are telling them.

In any event, the costs will be high, so do make sure that you can return the heads if they don't fit.

As to what make, I have only seen Remo's own. They seem very good. What others are available, I don't know. Also, I don't know whether any maker will make heads to sizes that you specify. Of course, if that is the situation, then try-before-you-buy is unlikely to be an option.

By the way, the price range of your congas suggests that you might not want to throw lots of money at re-heading them. If you cannot buy heads off the shelf, then new congas, complete with synthetic heads, may well be the way forward.

Singlestroker edited on Mar 27, 2013 1:32 AM

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1337 CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! Tony_D 397 Mar 26, 2013 7:17 PM
1277 Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! Singlestroker 1660 Mar 27, 2013 1:29 AM
1149 Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! Singlestroker 107 Apr 7, 2013 2:12 AM
1140 Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! Tony_D 468 Apr 7, 2013 11:07 AM
1196 Re:CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!! Singlestroker 207 Apr 7, 2013 12:54 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 11 milliseconds