Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster CONGA HEADS!!!! hELP!!
Tony_D

No. 1 Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HELLO I NEED HELP IN HOW TO MEASURE CONGA HEADS. I AM WANTING TO PURCHASE SYNTHETIC CONGA HEADS AND I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE RIGHT PURCHASE WITH NO MISTAKES. I HAVE CODA PERCUSSION CONGAS.i BELIEVE ITS MODEL IS DP-410-11. THE GUY AT THE STORE TOLD ME THE CONGA MEASURES 10" AND THE TUMBA 11" BUT I WANNA MAKE SURE. THEN IF IT IS 10" AND 11", WHICH SYNTHETIC HEADS WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMMEND.? THANKS

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Mar 27, 2013 1:29 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Unless you can find heads that are intended for your particular drum, the you will need to work with your supplier to ensure that you are comparing like with like.

I suggest that you draw a diagram, with dimensions showing exactly what you have measured. Obviously, the task will be much easier if you have the broken heads and can measure the inside dimensions of the hoops and the upstands of the heads from the top of the hoops. You will also need to measure the inside of the metal hoop into which the hoops of the heads sit at the top and bottom. If the old heads are missing, you'll need to the same take measurements of the metal hoops, measure the outer diameters of the bearing edges and estimate the head-hoop thickness needed to avoid an over-tight fit onto the shell.

If possible, get detailed dimensions of the heads that you propose to buy and compare them with the drums yourself. This should be much more reliable than sending off dimensions to a firm that may or may not grasp what you are telling them.

In any event, the costs will be high, so do make sure that you can return the heads if they don't fit.

As to what make, I have only seen Remo's own. They seem very good. What others are available, I don't know. Also, I don't know whether any maker will make heads to sizes that you specify. Of course, if that is the situation, then try-before-you-buy is unlikely to be an option.

By the way, the price range of your congas suggests that you might not want to throw lots of money at re-heading them. If you cannot buy heads off the shelf, then new congas, complete with synthetic heads, may well be the way forward.

Singlestroker edited on Mar 27, 2013 1:32 AM

Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 2:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, sometimes I wonder why I bother.Tony D didn't want help after all. Is that what his silence implies?

Tony_D

No. 4 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 11:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
WELL THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO. IT IS REAL HELPFUL AND I LEARNED A FEW NEW THINGS. AND I DID NEED THE HELP, I JUST DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO SIGN IN TO MY ACCOUNT. LIKE I SAID, THE INFO YOU PROVIDED IS HELPFUL. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN. BY THE WAY, I WENT BACK TO THE STORE LIKE A WEEK AGO AND THE GUY AT THE STORE RE-MEASURED THEM AND THE HEADS MEASURED THE SAME SO HE ORDERED A PAIR OF HEADS. THE SIZE CAME OUT TO A 10" AND 11". HE SAID THEY WERE COMPATIBLE WITH LP ASPIRE.

Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 12:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
No thanks were needed, Tony, but it was appropriate to share your thoughts following your experience with changing the heads in the light of what was posted on here. I am pleased that you got it all sorted.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 16 milliseconds