Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

A small but useful mod
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster A small but useful mod
paul

paulmiller

No. 1 Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been using Slicknuts for several years, but after getting a couple of the Tama quick release toppers am switching over, with a small change.

Before installing the topper I glue a hihat clutch felt to the bottom. I've been using these felts on crashes and splashes for some time, and like them better than the large kind.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Mar 20, 2013 5:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Looks smart. Same with the Slicknut. I was really thinking of turning to something like this since before long I sense I'll inadvertently strip the wing-nut threads.

Last I tried anything like that was the Aquarian Cymbal Spring , which I liked. Twas long ago.

Currently using what came as part of the Kit, which are Mapex OS Cymbal Accentuators, and are harder to describe than simply show.

They seem to allow the cymbal to sound-out its own sustain and tonal voice - whatever that might be.

I like to let the cymbal ring and wobble as it needs to. I usually don't inhibit it. I do choke the cymbals from time to time - rarely,actually - without trying to follow Carmine Appice's patented cymbal gymnastics.

Copying your Mod but gluing my 'cymbal accentuators' there might be a way to work both angles.

OldFart edited on Mar 20, 2013 5:39 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't tighten my cymbals down, but do restrict the motion of rides and splashes. It feels like smaller felts give me a little more control. I'd like to try a couple of those rubber sleeves on crashes sometime.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Mar 22, 2013 12:52 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The best thing about those click-on mounts, for me, is that they save the time that's otherwise spent screwing the nuts on and off the stand.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Mar 22, 2013 9:55 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
The best thing about those click-on mounts, for me, is that they save the time that's otherwise spent screwing the nuts on and off the stand.

Hear, hear ...

Or dropping same and crawling round attempting to look as though nothing was amiss (people seeing only the soles of your shoes and your trouser'd derrier - how professional).

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Mar 23, 2013 5:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Hear, hear ...

Or dropping same and crawling round attempting to look as though nothing was amiss (people seeing only the soles of your shoes and your trouser'd derrier - how professional).

LOL!! I usually found the wing nut after everything else was packed. I really like Tama hardware.

When the Slicknut showed up on the market I had to have it. About a year and a half ago I purchased two Tama Boom Cymbal holders and they came with the new Cymbal mates; nice product.

I normally donít push it down tight but Paul has an interesting idea, I think Iíll try it. Thumbs up

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
toeNEE

No. 7 Posted on Apr 24, 2013 5:54 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
cheers paul!

i dont use cymbal felts, but if i did i would probably go with something like this, good job sir!

count to 4, show up on time, dont talk too much...

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds