Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Pillow Fight With The Kick
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Pillow Fight With The Kick
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Is it me, or does it seem with the advancements of drum heads and that famous kickport, putting a pillow in the kick isn't necessary unless some sound/studio person wants the pillow?

No no, seriously, I installed the kickport and I'm using Remo's Clear Powersonic for the batter. There's no "ring" but there's definitely a lot of tone.

Or is it my new Gretsch Catalina Maple kit?

Tuning wise, I tighten just enough that there are no wrinkles in the head and I go from there, picking the lowest toned lug and matching that. The resonant head I try to match the tone of the batter, if not lower.

moneyowen

No. 2 Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A bass drum with a pillow only sounds good when you are about 2 feet away from it. Otherwise it just gets lost. I put quite some tension on my bass drums, especially the 18". More than a lot of guys I see, anyway. I like to get a lot of tone out of it. That's the idea.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 3 Posted on Mar 9, 2013 3:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
moneyowen wrote:
A bass drum with a pillow only sounds good when you are about 2 feet away from it. Otherwise it just gets lost. I put quite some tension on my bass drums, especially the 18". More than a lot of guys I see, anyway. I like to get a lot of tone out of it. That's the idea.

I had ( and still have ) a Coated PowerSonic on my 22" Maple Bass. I tension it up pretty well beyond the wrinkles - the Reso as well. I liked the PowerSonic.

I have not had a real need to put anything inside the Bass. I depend on fussing with the tuning to get the whole thing to where I'd like to hear it. I'm not against putting something in the shell, but I don't think a pillow is absolutely needed.
Even with a pre-muffled head like the PowerSonic, tension and getting the Reso in a reasonable relation to the Batter tends to get some nice resonance without overwhelming ring.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:20 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've always hated the term "kick". It gives a great impression of what drummers do, doesn't it?

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:16 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I've always hated the term "kick". It gives a great impression of what drummers do, doesn't it?

I understand your feeling with the term. Regrettably, IĎve seen players play their drums as if they are beating and kicking them. Someone decided to put a bell like device on the reso head and they called it a Kickport, so, I guess the term kind of sticks. As drummers, we should learn to play our drums rather than beat drums.

Iíve never used a pillow in a bass drum although I will use a towel if needed. Like Moneyowen, my bass heads are tighter than most. I like the tone and I like it when it blends well with bass guitar but at the same time it needs that punch and it needs to be distinct enough to hear the beat.

I agree new technology and innovation of the newer heads of today are in my opinion making it easier to tune or the lack of the ability to tune when gone overboard is gradually doing away with the need for a pillow. I really like the PS3ís, easy to tune, nice tone and punch, Iíve heard good things about the Powersonic, not sure about the others.

sherm

PS: Someday Iím trying the Kickport!

StillKicken edited on Mar 12, 2013 5:18 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 6 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently changed up my muffling technique on my 22' bass. I still use the Evans EQ4 batter and simple black resonant head with a port but took my small pillow out and went with felt bands stretched across the heads.

My old Gretsch bass has an adjustable tension holder for the strip on the batter head so there is no break in the bearing edge and head. On the reso head I felt it was okay to just tuck it between the edge and head.

I also use a solid wood beater and mic it.

It sounds SOOOO sweet now with much more resonance and projection than before.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Greg -

I thoroughly miss my old Gretsch kit, for sure.

I had the tensionable felt strip on my 20" Bass. I also had the interior muffler on all Toms (I think I had it on the Snare, too, but can't recall with certainty anymore).

I never used anything other than Coated Ambassadors for all heads, back then. I could get what I called a 'perfect tune' no matter what ... just a turn of the muffler knob and I was good. And it always took just a very slight turn and the sound was improved noticeably.

Boy, those days are fond memories. Alas, I was stupid enough to let that kit go.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Andy

No. 8 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 5:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
moneyowen wrote:

Many sound guys like to use a pillow in the bass drum 'cause it's easier for them to mic. That's OK I suppose, but I agree with you. A muffled bass drum sounds pretty cool from the drummer's point of view. To the audience, however, it sounds terrible. I'd rather err on the side of too little muffling than too much.

StillKicken

No. 9 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 8:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Many sound guys like to use a pillow in the bass drum 'cause it's easier for them to mic. That's OK I suppose, but I agree with you. A muffled bass drum sounds pretty cool from the drummer's point of view. To the audience, however, it sounds terrible. I'd rather err on the side of too little muffling than too much.

I agree. After converting a 16x18Ē tom to bass I am a little concerned on the end result from a distance in dance halls. On stage it sounds absolutely amazing; nice low quick tone with a lot of punch and no muffling.

The heads are tight but in larger rooms Iíve considered tighter heads or just break down and buy a microphone and let the PA push it out there. In a good size club with dancers, a drummer friend commented that he had trouble hearing the bass so I tuned it up a little higher since then.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 10 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 12:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
I agree. After converting a 16x18Ē tom to bass I am a little concerned on the end result from a distance in dance halls. On stage it sounds absolutely amazing; nice low quick tone with a lot of punch and no muffling.

The heads are tight but in larger rooms Iíve considered tighter heads or just break down and buy a microphone and let the PA push it out there. In a good size club with dancers, a drummer friend commented that he had trouble hearing the bass so I tuned it up a little higher since then.

sherm

If miced with a good mic and good PA, it might sound great. It may also be fine for smaller gigs.

knightcrawler

No. 11 Posted on Mar 18, 2013 11:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When I first started playing I would use a resonant head for the front, and a Powerstroke for the batter. I used a pillow for that certain sound, but in my experience with studio work the pillow wasn't necessary.

So, I changed my head choice and I use the Evans emad for the batter, and the Evans ES for the resonant.

I'll use a towel though. Depending on the sound.

I actually started calling it the "kick" even since the kickport came out lol

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 34 milliseconds