Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

20x20 kick drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster 20x20 kick drum
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:14 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pros and cons?
Experiences?

I'm thinking about going for a 20x20 kick because I like the sound.

technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you like it, just go for it, it doesn't matter what we say. My only warnings are make sure you have enough room and can afford it. And if this is your traveling kit, it might take up more space.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Feb 12, 2013 8:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you like the sound, get it. Thatís why most of us get what we want is because we like it.

20x20ís can sound nice but the tuning has to be right. For me with my tuning abilities the deeper the drum the harder it is for me to tune. Once you find the sweet spot it will sound awesome, I really didnít like my 16x18 floor tom conversion to bass at first. Finding the right tuning combination was aggravating but as time went on it got better and now Iím afraid to touch it. A good friend (drummer) heard me play at one of my gigs and he remarked; that is one powerful little bass drum.

Size from front to back can be a problem on small stages. I also own a 16x22 bass and for about 4 years I played in an extremely crowded restaurant, the band members, in a nice way complained that I use too many drums. I would look around me and notice that the toms were not bothering anyone and everyone was crowding each other. After that gig played out and we moved on to bigger stage areas I started using the 16x18 bass and the toms are still the same plus they still take up the same area as before. One of the guys remarked that they really like the smaller bass because it takes up less spaceÖI giggled a little then told him; itís actually the same size from front to back and the toms are the same. LOL!! Remember a bass drum with a 20Ē depth is really about 22Ē to 23Ē long, edge to edge.

I feel that a 14x24 bass would get more comments from other band members, that itís too big for the stage than you will get from a 20x20. The only time I have a problem with size at my age is transportation and weight. For me 18Ē to 22Ē diameter is a major difference in storage area in my truck.

Youíre young and strong and if you like the size and sound; go for it and enjoy it, just know the limits.

BTW: If it has wing lug bolts I would recommend changing them to standard bolts. The wing style gets bumped and bent; the standard bolts are better protected. They donít look as nice but last almost forever, especially if you use a soft case, which also saves space and weight over a hard case.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Timekeep69

No. 4 Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've built a couple 20x20 bass drums and each one impressed the hell out of me. Their nice and boomy for their size. I recommend them for anyone who wants a good sounding bass drum but doesn't want a 22".

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Feb 14, 2013 10:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
As for personal choice, I prefer a 20" diameter Bass.

I'd wonder about the depth, though.

In another life I owned a kit with a 20x14. Those dimensions make for a real responsive Bass. I now have a kit with what has become the typical Bass size : 22x18. I like it fine, but after having played it for awhile, I still want nothing larger than a 20x16.

Speaking just with my own particulars in mind, I've found the hauling and handling of a 22x18 more problematic than I first thought. A 20x16 still packs a fine Bass tone, yet doesn't have what I call "Ground Handling" difficulties.

If the 20x20 really gets you where you live, then you've found a good thing for your playing.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
moneyowen

No. 6 Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:00 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You say you want a 20x20" because you like the sound. So that's the main thing. Like Randy said, a 14" depth will be more responsive and articulate. Same as with deeper toms and snare drums, the distance and force required to excite the bottom head is different, and the result can be a perceived lower tone. You also have to lay into it a bit more to make that happen, which also causes the tone. I have said before, it depends on what you play, where, and who with. This sort of drum can lend itself to heavier music, so if that's what you're after, then it should work fine. Do make sure the case will fit in your car, because it does become an issue. Big.

StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Feb 17, 2013 3:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
moneyowen wrote:
You also have to lay into it a bit more to make that happen, which also causes the tone.

Humm! Now that you've mentioned it, I think I do that to an extent with my 16x18 bass. It's almost a; what you might call a square drum 18x18. Some years back I asked why we don't use all square drums (except for snare) and the answers were about the same as mentioned in the previous thread plus harder to tune.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 8 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like the 20" diameter, but the 20" depth is just a fad that will quickly fade when you start having to load that beast into a car or set it up on a small stage. I've never actually played a 20 x 20, so don't know for sure. What I DO know is my 16x20 bass drum is still pretty freaking deep for many stages. A 20" would really be inconvenient and would cause all sorts of on-stage real estate issues.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 9 Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:51 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
These Will kill ya. Avoid them at all cost!

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
toeNEE

No. 10 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:04 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pro - punchy as hell
con - one dimensional sound

whats more important to you right now?

count to 4, show up on time, dont talk too much...
technique2012

No. 11 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
toeNEE wrote:
pro - punchy as hell
con - one dimensional sound

whats more important to you right now?

To add on to that, if you're playing jazz, you may not necessarily want that punchy sounds otherwise, as the clinician told me last night, it'll sound like you're trying to play 80's rock in a jazz song.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
knightcrawler

No. 12 Posted on Feb 22, 2013 8:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
These Will kill ya. Avoid them at all cost!

lol! How do you even carry those?

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a 20(diameter)x19

toeNEE

No. 13 Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
lol! How do you even carry those?

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a 20(diameter)x19

I have a 24x24 built it myself from a keller (sounds killer in any studio I have taken it in) just looks like Iím trying to overcompensate for something when i play it out live Black Eye

count to 4, show up on time, dont talk too much...

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 36 milliseconds